Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    Sort of

(Original post by Warwick)
    The four-year LLB course is designed for those wishing to study more modules at Warwick than is possible in the normal three-year course. Many students find the three-year course too short and welcome the chance to explore more subjects or different subjects than the three-year law course allows: for them the four-year degree scheme is the answer. Within a very flexible framework, students can build a coherent individualised degree course, being able to take more modules from the wide choice within the Law School and up to four related modules from outside Law. Because of competition for LLB places, only those with a clear plan for using the extra year are likely to be made an offer; applicants who do not receive an offer will, however, be considered for the three-year LLB instead, with the possibility of transfer to a four-year course later on
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde...ta2z/law/m101/

As the three year degree is a qualifying degree, it needs to cover core areas (I think they're Public, EU, Criminal, Property, Contract and Tort and, finally, Equity). It's understandabe that some students find this a bit restrictive as they aren't able to explore as many modules in other areas of law (say, environmental or medical - I don't know Warwick's exact modules) or even modules from outside the law department.

So the extra year just allows students the chance to take a more flexible approach and study more modules.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wouldn't apply for M101 unless you know exactly what you plan to do with the extra year though. Like River85 has said, those who apply for the four year LLB are likely to know exactly what modules they want to study and why the three year LLB wouldn't work for them, it's certainly not the easy option - there are very few places available and it's especially competitive.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by python38)
    So I'd probably be better off doing the three-year course if I didn't fully understand the differences between the two courses? (It'd also cost less, I suppose.)
    Definitely. I don't know anybody who's doing M101; most people who are on the four year degrees take M108 which is Law with a year abroad. Unless you're especially keen on taking an extra 4 modules (of which one will probably be a 12,000 word dissertation) and they're somehow related to your plans after univerity you're better off applying for M100.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You're welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.