Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else cry really easily during conflict or anger? Watch

I am female, 21. For my whole life I have responded to any conflict (with tutors, bosses, superiors etc.) by crying uncontrollably instead of defending myself.:cry: As I enter the world of work, this has become increasingly frustrating, as I am unable to get my points across and this results in people walking all over me. My colleagues (particularly the males) think I am doing it on purpose for sympathy.

Is there any way to control/avoid this?

ReputationRep:
    can you control it or does it randomly occur ?
    like can you hold your tears back ??

im not really sure how you can control/avoid it maybe you could go to the doctors ??
    not sure if that would help but its worth a shot

ReputationRep:
    i'd honestly suggest seeing a counsellor if it's possible.
    I used to be like that, I had a lot of stuff bottled up and it all just came out in tears every time there was confrontation, might that be a possible cause with you?

ReputationRep:
    On the bright side, it's better than getting over-the-top angry until you're yelling at the top of your lungs :yep: (Usually that's how you say things that you don't mean to anyway :p:)

Maybe the next time it happens you could try getting it down on paper when you get back home? That way you have more time to look at the situation from all perspectives too

I have the same problem. Someone shouting at me (especially my dad) is usually enough to make me cry, but physical pain doesn't have the same effect at all.
    Try writing stuff down, like LetoKynes.

*like LetoKynes said.

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same - even just having a debate with my Dad will send me off. It's so frustrating, I really want to make my point/be taken seriously but instead everyone starts feeling sorry for me/asking if I'm ok/apologising. (I'm female, 20)

(Original post by Mts786)
    can you control it or does it randomly occur ?
    like can you hold your tears back ??

im not really sure how you can control/avoid it maybe you could go to the doctors ??
    not sure if that would help but its worth a shot
    I can definitely hold it back to an extent, but that usually means I can't speak because I'm holding it back so hard. It generally happens every time I face conflict. Do you really think it's serious enough to go to a doctor about?!

ReputationRep:
    I either get really angry and shout or I cry. I've always done it and I can't stop it. I know that I'm quite an emotional person though and I can't change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can definitely hold it back to an extent, but that usually means I can't speak because I'm holding it back so hard. It generally happens every time I face conflict. Do you really think it's serious enough to go to a doctor about?!
    maybe
    i dont want to make you worry but you could see what they say
    you might just be going through a state of depression ??
    or does it always happen ....

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, I often get upset in conflict situations (and v.occasionally just snap and get angry). Just try and walk away before it gets too bad and recover yourself, then talk about it later. Or try distracting yourself to stop yourself crying, like dig your nails into your palms or something.

ReputationRep:
    Even worse for me, I'm a guy and this happens to me a lot. I can usually bottle it up (only just) until the argument is over, but after that, I don't know why, I just start weeping.

I don't even cry when I'm sad (family got upset at me when I didn't cry once during my nans funeral years ago, even though I miss her to bits), so this is very odd of me to only weep when I'm angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am female, 21. For my whole life I have responded to any conflict (with tutors, bosses, superiors etc.) by crying uncontrollably instead of defending myself.:cry: As I enter the world of work, this has become increasingly frustrating, as I am unable to get my points across and this results in people walking all over me. My colleagues (particularly the males) think I am doing it on purpose for sympathy.

Is there any way to control/avoid this?
    I know the feeling!

And the worst thing is that I can be really, really angry with the person who is making me cry and because I am crying they think that I'm a wimp. Whereas what I really want to do is to tear them limb from limb!

I would agree with the 'see a counsellor' advice. Seeing mine has helped me to understand how I react in certain circumstances and to realise that I can get my feelings across without crying. And it isn't wrong to argue with others if you disagree. Mostly I would bottle up how I really feel and just go along with whatever is being said and then I cry from a sense of everything is hopeless and I can't win.

If you can forget about the crying and concentrate on getting over what you want to say you may find that the crying happens less often. It also helps to change how you try to get your point across. Sometimes I can be quite dogmatic about what I believe is right and when others disagree with me, even when I am correct, it makes me feel worthless and as though my opinion is rubbish.

I now try to work through the options giving reasons why I think that they are incorrect rather than simply saying here is the answer, like it or not. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    lol.. your boss would think you're weak. and why shout at your boss? :confused: you maybe should work on your workplace skills, rather than shout at him/her.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    lol.. your boss would think you're weak. and why shout at your boss? :confused: you maybe should work on your workplace skills, rather than shout at him/her.:yes:
    They might not. If you mean me: I haven't shouted at any of my bosses but I could. So I don't need to work on anything.

ReputationRep:
    i cry at these things too not all the time like, but, i wouldnt worry too much, not unless it's getting in the way of things good luck

ReputationRep:
    i cry at the least thing.
    its awful, not even things that you would concider happy or sad trigger it, just stuff that overwhelms me.

stress is a biggy aswell - like frustation crying. not goood. :/

ReputationRep:
    I was always accused of sympathy-seeking or being hormonal if I cried when I was younger so I learnt never to cry in front of other people. My family don't take well to crying. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    I was always accused of sympathy-seeking or being hormonal if I cried when I was younger so I learnt never to cry in front of other people. My family don't take well to crying. :rolleyes:
    Sounds like my mum. I've only ever seen her cry once and I know it's because her mum used to tell her to get over stuff.

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger and slightly less confident I would say something and be slightly emotional afterwards.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.