Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else cry really easily during conflict or anger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I do this.
    Out of frustration at feeling out of control of the situation, that the person isn't getting my point, that I don't deserve the telling off/insults/whatever and because I know I not the kind of person who will shout or fight back if it comes to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    They might not. If you mean me: I haven't shouted at any of my bosses but I could. So I don't need to work on anything.
    it's for the OP. one never shouts at their boss. he/she employs her, so you're always mindful they can dismiss you at the drop of a hat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    it's for the OP. one never shouts at their boss. he/she employs her, so you're always mindful they can dismiss you at the drop of a hat.
    I don't think her boss would think she's weak. She also didn't say she shouts at her boss and whilst that's true it doesn't hurt to get your point across and be direct.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like this. I have no idea why. I don't bottle things up, don't really have any hidden 'issues' or anything, and I love arguing back. In fact, I love arguing. But oh no, tears will start rolling for no real reason. It's so annoying.

i'm like this too. i cry at most emotional things, but i've been trying really hard to stop. if i'm getting told off by a superior, it's normally hard for me to do anything about anyway (ie would be detrimental to my career). so i just try to think about something else whilst it's happening, but try to maintain a 'sorry looking face'.

however, if it's someone i can actually say something to, i would probably cry the first time, but after, i would feel really pissed off with myself, and would try to think of what i would say if the situation came up again, and kind of run it through in my head. that way, if something similar comes up again, you have already had a 'practice run' and it doesn't seem so scary doing it in real life.

i don't think a doctor would be able to specifically help you with the problem, other than give general life advice, but they would be essential in getting a referral to see a counsellor - bear in mind it could take months of being on the waiting list before you get an appt. however, i've been through the uni counselling service, and that only had a wait of 2 weeks, and no need for gp referral.

ReputationRep:
    You're simply an emotional person. It's nothing worth worrying about, only a minor inconvenience. Thinking about it too much is definitely a contributing factor so try less of that. I suffer from, what seems, to be the opposite and find it hard to cry at anything no matter how depressing or heated it may be.

ReputationRep:
    Try to think the person, in this case a boy, is a boxing bag and aim for his balls or nose. That should keep the tears away. :awesome:

Otherwise, no, I don't think you can control being emotional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am female, 21. For my whole life I have responded to any conflict (with tutors, bosses, superiors etc.) by crying uncontrollably instead of defending myself.:cry: As I enter the world of work, this has become increasingly frustrating, as I am unable to get my points across and this results in people walking all over me. My colleagues (particularly the males) think I am doing it on purpose for sympathy.

Is there any way to control/avoid this?
    I'm one of those people with a really tough exterior, I look like the kind who'd never cry. But sometimes I revert to a five year old and someone yells at me and I'm sniffling! Like you I HATE IT because it means I can't argue my point as successfully. For me its when I'm tired or stressed out and something bad happens. If I'm fully up for a fight and prepared for it, then I can go in guns blazing completely emotionless. But when it happens I can't stop it! It's infuriating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    I either get really angry and shout or I cry. I've always done it and I can't stop it. I know that I'm quite an emotional person though and I can't change that.
    this ^...apart from I usually do all three in that very order 1st... angry...if things get even more heated then i shout... and if its too much frustration to handle then I'd cry.

It's weird though... I wish I could control it... I don't think it's anger issues, but rather just getting too emotionally attached to what people say. People means immediate family... I don't think I'm open enough outside home to shout...

OP... maybe take up a sport where you can take your feelings out in? boxing, maybe if you went bungee jumping or sky diving... one day when your home alone or anywhere completely alone... scream or shout out the things that you always wanted to say during the conflicts you never said anything during?

ReputationRep:
    me too i m such a loser I always cry uncontrollably and that just destroys any statements that i m/would be making and the others probably just see me as a crybaby...what am i gonna do when i start working?!?!

ReputationRep:
    No, I think that's really immature tbh.

ReputationRep:
    dad told me when i was small whenever I got into an argument with him I always ended up saying 'Im gonna beat you up now!' to him and start crying... now i m 20 but still i ve cried several times in public uncontrollably when i was angry or frustrated... I'm normally not an overtly emotional or impulsive person...its just so embarrissing i dont want others to remember me as the girl who cried

ReputationRep:
    I think you're better off to try and hold in the tears as much as you can. Even if it means excusing yourself from the room for a minute to let it out somewhere private. It's not good to be considered 'emo' by your boss if you're trying to rise in the ranks.

I don't give a crap about crying in public but the workplace is not a good area to do this. Since you're aware that you have this problem I think you can fight it. Ignore the people who say you can't. You can improve on your emotional control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    Even worse for me, I'm a guy and this happens to me a lot.
    http://www.vikdavid.com/blog/pics/nelson-haha.gif

ReputationRep:
    No, I get so angry that crying doesn't even cross my radar until I'm finished being angry.

ReputationRep:
    I cry a lot regardless of what's happening - I think it's my way of expressing emotion but it can get embarrassing sometimes - I hated crying in front of people at school

i have the same problem..... except that i am a 16 year old male.... i fail so hard

ReputationRep:
    I do the same. Makes me feel so pathetic, but I can't really do anything else. I don't think I'm quite as bad as you, in that I defend myself when I need to.

Hope you manage to get over this, doesn't sound like fun at all. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, my sister is the same, my mum's the same although she's 47.

This is my way of expressing anger: tears roll down my cheeks, I just can't help it. I find it embarrassing because you don't sound serious at all when you start crying when being angry.

I try and don't get angry at people - instead I get very cold and distant to express my anger rather than flare up, it usually works.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same way...but I think it's because usualy I keep myself to myself and I am quite shy so when someone starts to have a go at me it feels unexpected half the time and I really don't know what to say back or how to deal with them so the damn tears flow. Bloody annoying really.
    I should say that I never usualy cry at anything, only when the attention seems to be focused on me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.