Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend and shes been with her BF for a few months now and well they both want to get married but there not sure ...

I told them that if they think there ready to get married then to go for it but they have to think financially and about settling down ...

my question is Is there anything wrong with getting married at a young age ??

( both of them are around 17-18 years old )

ReputationRep:
    its not so much the age that would concern me, but for the fact that they have only been together for "a few months" and for the fact that you said they're not actually sure.

In this case they definiatly should not get married! People take marriage too lightly nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am married, and we're both 18. There's no 'wrong' or 'right' in this situation, as it depends entirely on the two people involved. If they are truly in a serious and strong relationsip, and both know that they want to be together for ever, and are ready for marriage, and have thought about it for a while, then it's fine.
    If not, then I would say wait. You said they're not sure - tell them NOT to do it!! It'sa huge step, and should not be entered in to lightly. Tell them how much happier they would be if they waited until they were both sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mts786)
    I have a friend and shes been with her BF for a few months now and well they both want to get married but there not sure ...

I told them that if they think there ready to get married then to go for it but they have to think financially and about settling down ...

my question is Is there anything wrong with getting married at a young age ??

( both of them are around 17-18 years old )
    Holy ****! That's insane! I wont get married before the age of 25, let alone 17! And they've only been together a few months? I give their marriage no more than a year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Hi I am married, and we're both 18. There's no 'wrong' or 'right' in this situation, as it depends entirely on the two people involved. If they are truly in a serious and strong relationsip, and both know that they want to be together for ever, and are ready for marriage, and have thought about it for a while, then it's fine.
    If not, then I would say wait. You said they're not sure - tell them NOT to do it!! It'sa huge step, and should not be entered in to lightly. Tell them how much happier they would be if they waited until they were both sure
    :eek3: Wow...

ReputationRep:
    Its much better for uni grants isnt it?
    You count as severed from your parents incomes?

ReputationRep:
    hi
    yh i was talking to her yesterday for a few hours and she said that she realised that what shes doing is wrong. because shes got a BF but shes going behind her parents back and seeing him. so i told her that maybe she should tell her parents and see what they say.
    she said that she wants to marry him BUT shes to young so maybe getting engaged .. i told her to do what her heart tells her to do ..
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You become fully formed as a 'person' in your early 20s - then you'll pretty much be that way for the rest of your life - well documented. People can and do change quite a lot up until that point and you can grow apart from your partner. It isn't anyones fault - we all grow and change differently.

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely a "too young" and 18 is definitely it. If they're sure they're going to be together forever, then what's the harm in waiting a few years before getting married? Afterall, by their own admittance they've got their whole lives together ahead.

They're also deluded. It's highly likely they will not last forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Holy ****! That's insane! I wont get married before the age of 25, let alone 17! And they've only been together a few months? I give their marriage no more than a year...
    well im 18 and me and my GF want to get married her family know we want to get married and there happy for us and well her uncles sorting it out .. so i dont really see whats wrong with getting married at a young age ..

( YAY im going to get married soon ... i think :p: )

ReputationRep:

****..18 thats very young :yikes: are you religous by anychance?

ReputationRep:
    hi
    yh i was talking to her yesterday for a few hours and she said that she realised that what shes doing is wrong. because shes got a BF but shes going behind her parents back and seeing him. so i told her that maybe she should tell her parents and see what they say.
    she said that she wants to marry him BUT shes to young so maybe getting engaged .. i told her to do what her heart tells her to do ..
    I think she's definitely not ready to be frank. If this relationship is not even known to her family .... it shows she's not yet mature enough to even near be ready for marriage. Tell her to get engaged, as this is a lovely situation, but if their feelings change then it will not have been a life changing decision. And above all get her to tell her family!! If she can't even own up to them about her boyfriend, how is she gonna tell them he's now her husband!

ReputationRep:
    well im 18 and me and my GF want to get married her family know we want to get married and there happy for us and well her uncles sorting it out .. so i dont really see whats wrong with getting married at a young age ..

( YAY im going to get married soon ... i think :p: )

why rush though? Why not enjoy being kids and enjoying each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    There's definitely a "too young" and 18 is definitely it. If they're sure they're going to be together forever, then what's the harm in waiting a few years before getting married? Afterall, by their own admittance they've got their whole lives together ahead.

They're also deluded. It's highly likely they will not last forever.
    this

ReputationRep:
    WOW your 18 and your married .. Congrats Hopefully you stay happy with him forever.
    Isnt it hard though ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    ****..18 thats very young :yikes: are you religous by anychance?
    No, I'm not. I think i went to church as a child, but since meeting my partner, I've become more agnostic to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not. I think i went to church as a child, but since meeting my partner, I've become more agnostic to be honest.

then why did you rush into marriage at such a young age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    why rush though? Why not enjoy being kids and enjoying each other?
    Because we want to get married
    not for religious reasons
    we just want to spend the rest of our lives together
    and we know we can make it work

ReputationRep:
    too young - i've met lots of people 25-30 at college who got married young, and they all said the same thing - they wished they'd waited until they were abit older. not that they married the wrong person, just too soon.

and me personaly - i dont care if people get married and divorced ten times over in their life - its their life, not mine. too many people poke their noses into other peoples business these days, sayin things like " oh marriage is taken too lightly these days, they wont last a year", well that maybe but its their choice to make not yours - people have to make their own mistakes - its called life.

ReputationRep:
    WOW your 18 and your married .. Congrats Hopefully you stay happy with him forever.
    Isnt it hard though ??
    Er .. no. I don't know what the big hoohah about marriage is. If you've found the right person, then it's not really an issue at all. We were living together before, and we are best friends, and have given up a lot for each other, so getting married was really just to make that more 'special'. We both already felt married before we decided to.

And thanks for the congrats

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.