Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    then why did you rush into marriage at such a young age?
    I didn't 'rush' - I wanted to, my partner wanted to. We already lived together and felt like a married couple, so actually becoming a married couple was just cementing that bond.

ReputationRep:
    so go for it, have fun and enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Er .. no. I don't know what the big hoohah about marriage is. If you've found the right person, then it's not really an issue at all. We were living together before, and we are best friends, and have given up a lot for each other, so getting married was really just to make that more 'special'. We both already felt married before we decided to.

And thanks for the congrats
    anytime
    yh same here i dont see what the big deal is about marriage if your with the right person then go for it.

BUT the thing is with my Friend and me is that our culture and religion (islam) is strict when it comes to marriage. Techincally in Islam your not supposed to have a Bf/gf but if you do then you should get married ASAP ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    too young - i've met lots of people 25-30 at college who got married young, and they all said the same thing - they wished they'd waited until they were abit older. not that they married the wrong person, just too soon.

and me personaly - i dont care if people get married and divorced ten times over in their life - its their life, not mine. too many people poke their noses into other peoples business these days, sayin things like " oh marriage is taken too lightly these days, they wont last a year", well that maybe but its their choice to make not yours - people have to make their own mistakes - its called life.

course, i think its such a shame though when people get married young, my friend married at 19 and she always tells me how much she feels she's missing out on, she loves her husband, yes, but told me she's grown up so much since she last got married (is now 21)....i dunno, being 18-20 has been the best 2 years of my life, i almost got married, and an engagement was discussed when i was almost 18 with my ex boyfriend, who i'd been together 3 years, and im so glad i said no..so so glad, i love being free, single, independant and getting to know 'me' at this crucial growing stage in my life, i wouldn't want to share it with anyone, i'd want to experience this stage by myself, learning about myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mts786)
    anytime
    yh same here i dont see what the big deal is about marriage if your with the right person then go for it.

BUT the thing is with my Friend and me is that our culture and religion (islam) is strict when it comes to marriage. Techincally in Islam your not supposed to have a Bf/gf but if you do then you should get married ASAP ..
    Well it's your religion, and obviously you know how important it is to you, and how strictly you believe it should be followed, so I can't comment on that. But, I can say, I believe that it is a bad recomendation: you should get married when you are ready, no person or religion really knows how you feel, so cannot make a judgement on that.

ReputationRep:
    well im 18 and me and my GF want to get married her family know we want to get married and there happy for us and well her uncles sorting it out .. so i dont really see whats wrong with getting married at a young age ..

( YAY im going to get married soon ... i think:p: )
    Don't you think you should think it through? Do you have a job? Are you going to continue studying? Marriage isn't a walk in the park...do you know the percentage rate for divorces? What if you change your mind later? But hey, it's your choice!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't 'rush' - I wanted to, my partner wanted to. We already lived together and felt like a married couple, so actually becoming a married couple was just cementing that bond.

yes but do you not realise you're still a kid? I think the period between 18-mid 20's is so important individually to develop who you are, what YOU want, having a boyfriend is fine, living together, fair enough...but to seal the deal legally and spiritually? No, i think its a shame, but you're happy which is fair enough...but it does make me wonder what you're going to miss out on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    too young - i've met lots of people 25-30 at college who got married young, and they all said the same thing - they wished they'd waited until they were abit older. not that they married the wrong person, just too soon.

and me personaly - i dont care if people get married and divorced ten times over in their life - its their life, not mine. too many people poke their noses into other peoples business these days, sayin things like " oh marriage is taken too lightly these days, they wont last a year", well that maybe but its their choice to make not yours - people have to make their own mistakes - its called life.
    I kind of agree with you. I have no sentiment for marriage, and the whole "it's taken too lightly!" thing doesn't cross my mind.

On the other hand, if an 18 year old asks for advice on something that is going to cost them time money and effort (and more time money and effort to divorce), then I don't think telling them that it's not a good idea counts as poking your nose into their business!

ReputationRep:
    Well it's your religion, and obviously you know how important it is to you, and how strictly you believe it should be followed, so I can't comment on that. But, I can say, I believe that it is a bad recomendation: you should get married when you are ready, no person or religion really knows how you feel, so cannot make a judgement on that.
    yh exactly
    i think im ready for marriage and so does my GF
    we dont want to do it for religion we want do it because we want to be together. So i dont see what the problem is with getting married at a young age.
    my mom got married at the age of 20
    my gf's sister got married at the age of 20 aswell
    so i think age doesnt really have anything to do with it its the 2 ppl who are involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Don't you think you should think it through? Do you have a job? Are you going to continue studying? Marriage isn't a walk in the park...do you know the percentage rate for divorces? What if you change your mind later? But hey, it's your choice!
    no i dont have a job and yes im going to continue studying we dont have to move in together straight away. she has her own flat in london so i was thinking that i could move in with her and i could get a job part time while i carry on with college.

ReputationRep:
    Not really if its there choice. My friend is planning to marry and he has only just turned 20. If he decides to do it, and I know he will, I think its probably for the best as they seem quiet well matched. Im only going to ask him once if he is making the right descion and if he says yes then shall stand by him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    yes but do you not realise you're still a kid? I think the period between 18-mid 20's is so important individually to develop who you are, what YOU want, having a boyfriend is fine, living together, fair enough...but to seal the deal legally and spiritually? No, i think its a shame, but you're happy which is fair enough...but it does make me wonder what you're going to miss out on
    I'm not a 'kid', kid to me intimates 13/14 years old. I'm developing in to my own person, I've made a huge decision about moving away from everything I know, choosing a university where I'm going to spend 4 years of my life ... why aren't you criticising me for these? A 'kid' does not have the knowledge or maturity to make these decisions either, but I have, and you don't mind that?

I'm not going to miss out on a thing. Everyone must live their life to make them happy: I want to go through Uni and '18-20s' with the person I love, and want to share these precious experiences with him, so that we have that forever. I don't want a life of one night stands or clubbing or going out all the time. It's not me. What I've got, that's me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .X.alysha.X.)
    its not so much the age that would concern me, but for the fact that they have only been together for "a few months" and for the fact that you said they're not actually sure.

In this case they definiatly should not get married! People take marriage too lightly nowadays.
    Totally agree. I think people getting married at 18 and after "a few months" haven't really giving it long enough to decide whether they want to spend their life together.

Marriage has lost all meaning it's bloomin' annoying...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a 'kid', kid to me intimates 13/14 years old. I'm developing in to my own person, I've made a huge decision about moving away from everything I know, choosing a university where I'm going to spend 4 years of my life ... why aren't you criticising me for these? A 'kid' does not have the knowledge or maturity to make these decisions either, but I have, and you don't mind that?

I'm not going to miss out on a thing. Everyone must live their life to make them happy: I want to go through Uni and '18-20s' with the person I love, and want to share these precious experiences with him, so that we have that forever. I don't want a life of one night stands or clubbing or going out all the time. It's not me. What I've got, that's me.
    i agree with that
    i would also like to go through uni with my GF
    depends if we GET into the same uni
    but i know that even if we dont that it wont change a thing well still be happily married.

ReputationRep:
    yh exactly
    i think im ready for marriage and so does my GF
    we dont want to do it for religion we want do it because we want to be together. So i dont see what the problem is with getting married at a young age.
    my mom got married at the age of 20
    my gf's sister got married at the age of 20 aswell
    so i think age doesnt really have anything to do with it its the 2 ppl who are involved
    I thought you said this was about your friend and his girlfriend?

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who proposed purely because they were going though a "rough patch" and he basically wanted a way of making sure she wouldn't just spilt up with him.... Were engaged for about two years maybe, but now no longer on speaking terms.

Anyways, I don't see the harm in it if both people are willing, but people who suddenly decide after a month or two that they're perfect and will be together forever kinda need a reality check. That's not a long amount of time to properly get to know someone and be sure that another few months down the line you aren't going to see parts of their personality you didn't before, that you really don't like and end up getting a divorce. If you really are meant for each other you've got plenty of time, don't rush it and make a huge mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I think 21 is the earliest i woul get married. ANy younger than that and u can't drink on ur wedding day in US jk, but i think usually u should at least wait till after uni (if u are at uni) and if not wait till ur 21.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you said this was about your friend and his girlfriend?
    yh i know sorry got a bit sidetracked
    its my friend and her boyfriend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    I know someone who proposed purely because they were going though a "rough patch" and he basically wanted a way of making sure she wouldn't just spilt up with him.... Were engaged for about two years maybe, but now no longer on speaking terms.

Anyways, I don't see the harm in it if both people are willing, but people who suddenly decide after a month or two that they're perfect and will be together forever kinda need a reality check. That's not a long amount of time to properly get to know someone and be sure that another few months down the line you aren't going to see parts of their personality you didn't before, that you really don't like and end up getting a divorce. If you really are meant for each other you've got plenty of time, don't rush it and make a huge mistake.
    This - well said. After a few months you feel like you know the person so well, but after a few years, you realize you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    hey..im 20..and i already have a bf..we are planning to get married after we come back from UK (which will be 3years from now)..we have been together for almost 2years and what can i say is,i miss him everyday,every second of my life...at first,we planned to get married as soon as possible,but after a few discussion,we decided to finish our studies in medicine first before we continue the rest 2 years of studies at our hometown..frankly speaking,it was a very hard decision to make,when you really love someone,only marriage that you could ever think to make it last..but love only will not guarantee the lasting relationship,..you have to consider your parents word and thier thoughts(financial,house,career) ,..sometimes,what we think the best for us is not really best and good...marriage is not about seeing and living with your partner for a day and dismiss for the next day...,its about living together for the rest of your life,..its about how you could handle your anger so that you will not try to make your partner pay for it,how acceptance for each other weaknesess has become priority in each of your day..it is a true commitment,that when one sick,you are willing to care for him throughout the night and never talk about it for the next day..its about everything..and if you are really2 prepare,then,go for it...,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.