Turn on thread page Beta

Getting married at a young age watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Holy ****! That's insane! I wont get married before the age of 25, let alone 17! And they've only been together a few months? I give their marriage no more than a year...
    My parents are still together after 27 years, moved in together and got married at 17 :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    I'm not a 'kid', kid to me intimates 13/14 years old. I'm developing in to my own person, I've made a huge decision about moving away from everything I know, choosing a university where I'm going to spend 4 years of my life ... why aren't you criticising me for these? A 'kid' does not have the knowledge or maturity to make these decisions either, but I have, and you don't mind that?

I'm not going to miss out on a thing. Everyone must live their life to make them happy: I want to go through Uni and '18-20s' with the person I love, and want to share these precious experiences with him, so that we have that forever. I don't want a life of one night stands or clubbing or going out all the time. It's not me. What I've got, that's me.

but you are, you so are still a child and young, only just starting to experience adulthood, and yes it feels all mature and exciting being married but..i dunno, seems a shame and a waste, do you consider yourself more mature than those who do enjoy dating, meeting people, having a boyfriend rather than a husband?

i thought i was mature at 18 too, i think im mature now but i know in 2 years time i'll disagree, just feels so unnecessary, if you're going to be together forever, why rush into an institution which imo, should be taken seriously so young? Such a shame, but whatever, your're happy now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    My parents are still together after 27 years, moved in together and got married at 17 :p:
    wow congrats to them marriage at 17 years of age ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mts786)
    I have a friend and shes been with her BF for a few months now and well they both want to get married but there not sure ...

I told them that if they think there ready to get married then to go for it but they have to think financially and about settling down ...

my question is Is there anything wrong with getting married at a young age ??

( both of them are around 17-18 years old )
    My nan and grandad got married at 17 with no family to watch, and they have been married 45 years now. It depends on how much you love the person and can you see a serious future for the rest of your life.

My parents got married at 19 and they have been together 20 years, there is nothing wrong with getting married young. Just make sure you do it for the right reasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    but you are, you so are still a child and young, only just starting to experience adulthood, and yes it feels all mature and exciting being married but..i dunno, seems a shame and a waste, do you consider yourself more mature than those who do enjoy dating, meeting people, having a boyfriend rather than a husband?

i thought i was mature at 18 too, i think im mature now but i know in 2 years time i'll disagree, just feels so unnecessary, if you're going to be together forever, why rush into an institution which imo, should be taken seriously so young? Such a shame, but whatever, your're happy now.
    For god's sake, who do people feel the need to dictate my life to me? I find it ignorant in the least, as there is clearly no appreciation of the fact that all people are different, and unless you know someone intricately and understand their situation, you have no basis to make judgements.

It does not feel 'mature and exciting' being married, and clearly you are not ready, as what an immature and patronising thing to say. It feels right. I do not try to appear 'more mature' than anyone else. 'Maturity' is not the issue here - I know I love my parents, friends and pets, and I have made a huge commitment to all of them. True love is nothing to do with maturity or age. And 'a waste', why? Because I won't be available to have sex with loads of men? What a shame!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)
    My nan and grandad got married at 17 with no family to watch, and they have been married 45 years now. It depends on how much you love the person and can you see a serious future for the rest of your life.

My parents got married at 19 and they have been together 20 years, there is nothing wrong with getting married young. Just make sure you do it for the right reasons
    yup i agree

For god's sake, who do people feel the need to dictate my life to me? I find it ignorant in the least, as there is clearly no appreciation of the fact that all people are different, and unless you know someone intricately and understand their situation, you have no basis to make judgements.

It does not feel 'mature and exciting' being married, and clearly you are not ready, as what an immature and patronising thing to say. It feels right. I do not try to appear 'more mature' than anyone else. 'Maturity' is not the issue here - I know I love my parents, friends and pets, and I have made a huge commitment to all of them. True love is nothing to do with maturity or age. And 'a waste', why? Because I won't be available to have sex with loads of men? What a shame!
    exactly i agree its got nothings to do with maturity

ReputationRep:

i was actually trying to have a discussion not a personal attack, i have many friends who have married young, some are happy..some are not, but all agree it was too young, and we have similar discussions and no, im not mature enough to get married...clearly the fact you've mentioned that has gone and said a lot about you. now that is an attack.

ReputationRep:
    Argh I hate those type of teenage couples. I see it all the time nowadays, people in my year getting together and only after a month or two they are 'soul-mates' and are going to be together forever etc. One guy even went as far as buying a ring and proposing in front of everybody, to a girl he was with for 3 months (they have now broken up :rolleyes:).

It's just ridiculous really, age is irrelevant, it's the credibility of the relationship at such ages.
    To me it's just an attempt to solidify the relationship by giving it some sort of title, as if the boyfriend-girlfriend label is not good enough and must now be husband-wife. It just makes me cringe when I hear young deluded couples say this sort of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you love one another and cannot imagine being with anyone else, ever, then what is the problem.

Personally, I'd never get married until we were able to live together, which will probably be after I finish university.

ReputationRep:
    i was actually trying to have a discussion not a personal attack, i have many friends who have married young, some are happy..some are not, but all agree it was too young, and we have similar discussions and no, im not mature enough to get married...clearly the fact you've mentioned that has gone and said a lot about you. now that is an attack.
    yes, it says about me that I think people who try to tell other people what mistakes they have made in their life are in the wrong. It is very much a personal attack - you are dictating to me that I did the wrong thing, won't be happy and I'm a child. I'm sorry if that offends you, but to me that just sounds ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I am happy to have a discussion, but tired of being told I'm a naive child. That's not a discussion.

(Non-argument me: I don't wanna fall out over this Just hard fighting my corner here, with people telling me my marriage is wrong. I don't mind what others think, but tbh it's still not very nice when people look down on you for the best decision you've ever made, and that has made you so happy. I just love him that's all, and I hate all the negativity that causes!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    I kind of agree with you. I have no sentiment for marriage, and the whole "it's taken too lightly!" thing doesn't cross my mind.

On the other hand, if an 18 year old asks for advice on something that is going to cost them time money and effort (and more time money and effort to divorce), then I don't think telling them that it's not a good idea counts as poking your nose into their business!
    I stand corrected *bows*

ReputationRep:
    yes, it says about me that I think people who try to tell other people what mistakes they have made in their life are in the wrong. It is very much a personal attack - you are dictating to me that I did the wrong thing, won't be happy and I'm a child. I'm sorry if that offends you, but to me that just sounds ignorant.

was it dictating? No and im sorry it came across like that, was i saying my opinion? yes because this is the internet and a thread asking for opinions

Yes i think you're too young, yes i think anyone getting married young is making a mistake, yes i think there is a huge risk of growing apart- that is an opinion, i was simply using you as an example, and you are still a young woman, if you can't accept that you're so inexperienced in life, most people on tsr are, then ohdear.

try and be more open minded to other peoples opinions?

Im sure many people think your marriage is a bad idea, it feels weird even calling a relationship an 18yr old has a 'marriage' but c'est la vie, im sure the choices you make will be learnt and experienced

ReputationRep:
    was it dictating? No and im sorry it came across like that, was i saying my opinion? yes because this is the internet and a thread asking for opinions

Yes i think you're too young, yes i think anyone getting married young is making a mistake, yes i think there is a huge risk of growing apart- that is an opinion, i was simply using you as an excuse, and you are still a young woman, if you can't accept that you're so inexperienced in life, most people on tsr are, then ohdear.

try and be more open minded to other peoples opinions?

Im sure many people think your marriage is a bad idea, it feels weird even calling a relationship an 18yr old has a 'marriage' but c'est la vie, im sure the choices you make will be learnt and experienced
    Try and be more open minded full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Try and be more open minded full stop.

its an opinion and a discussion.

the feminist in me comes out when an 18yr old is married and calls herself a domestic goddess...Yes i have strong feelings on this, but thats simply because ive had to be through 3 friends divorces at the age of 20-23, simply due to getting married too young, one got married at 17, and its ruined her life, so yes- i have a very negative opinion

ReputationRep:
    i really don't see the point in marriage at all, but as far as other people are concerned I think you have to be insane to get married before you're settled into your adult life (ie, both have jobs and are living together) and mentally mature. at 18 you are definitely not ready for marriage imo, especially if you've only been together a few months. There's no way it would last.

all personal opinion of course, for all I know two people could get married while they're still in college and be in it for the long haul, but even if that happens I think they're idiots for getting married. it doesn't really change anything, you gain nothing if it lasts, you just lose out when it fails.

ReputationRep:

the feminist in me comes out when an 18yr old is married and calls herself a domestic goddess...Yes i have strong feelings on this, but thats simply because ive had to be through 3 friends divorces at the age of 20-23, simply due to getting married too young, one got married at 17, and its ruined her life, so yes- i have a very negative opinion
    haha, you aren't seriously looking down on me because of a usertitle? :p: I love cooking, it's a cookery book ...

ReputationRep:

ahh the feminist type - the sort of woman who feels its their 'right' to be able to talk freely and openy about penises all day, without any uproar. But mention the word **** to them, and all hell breaks loose.

ReputationRep:
    You will get divorced like most other couples, but at a younger age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    ahh the feminist type - the sort of woman who feels its their 'right' to be able to talk freely and openy about penises all day, without any uproar. But mention the word c u n t to them, and all hell breaks loose.
    calm down ffs
    no need to attack her
    didnt think this little thread would cause an argument ..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.