Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I took my battery out and trickle charged it over night with a £7 charger I bought some years back and the battery didnt charge, instead I think the battery lost more of its power some how. Any idea why this happened??

I have used the charger to charge another battery and it did it properly but that battery was 45 Ah 12v, this one is 70 Ah 12v so could it be that I need a more powerful charger?

Pretty sure nothings wrong with battery because the indicator on top is black meaning it needs charging.

cheers

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to bring it back to life by deep charging it a few times, but it's quite a dangerous thing to do in that it might explode.

Assuming this is a car being used every day?
    It's a possibility that one of the cells in the battery went down and took the others down with it. Either way the battery is now knacked.

There is also another possible problem in that the altenator could be mullered?

ReputationRep:
    If the charger is known to be good and the battery didn't charge then the obvious conclusion is that the battery is either faulty or has reached the end of its life.

ReputationRep:
    The alternator is fine, I left the car for 2 weeks without driving so that's probably it

please please dont say I have to change the battery!! oh no .. its a bmw battery one of them big ones. So no chance that the charger is the problem? if i get another charger (a good one) and try charge it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    The alternator is fine, I left the car for 2 weeks without driving so that's probably it

please please dont say I have to change the battery!! oh no .. its a bmw battery one of them big ones. So no chance that the charger is the problem? if i get another charger (a good one) and try charge it?
    Try a borrowed charger.

ReputationRep:
    Right I reckon changing the battery would make sense because I think that battery is 5+ yrs old. So do I get another battery with the same specs as this or can I fit in a smaller 45 Ah in to the BMW?? lol the original is 70 Ah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    Right I reckon changing the battery would make sense because I think that battery is 5+ yrs old. So do I get another battery with the same specs as this or can I fit in a smaller 45 Ah in to the BMW?? lol the original is 70 Ah

Read the handbook. If you under-specify the battery you'll only have trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't make a bit of difference what make the car is.
    A generic battery will be just fine.

You need an equivelent 70AH battery to turn the engine over.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.