Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone had any problems with Royal Mail/Post Office? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mums driving license was nicked from the post. Also we have had many items delivered that were ripped open with the contents removed and delivered empty and some important bank letters opened, read and delivered open!!! Something must be wrong somewhere along the line for this to happen! Actually, we thought it was just us, so its nice to hear the problem in widespread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soylent Green)
    Guys really quick question which is vaguely to do with the topic.

does the Royal mail in any way check whats inside your envelopes?
    Why? What are you planning to send? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Do a royal mail recorded delivery plus also check that the people requesting for a refund are not professional free goods takers i.e they buy, get the goods and then make a fake complaint just to keep them and also take they money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeksandtherest)
    Do a royal mail recorded delivery plus also check that the people requesting for a refund are not professional free goods takers i.e they buy, get the goods and then make a fake complaint just to keep them and also take they money back.
    That's a very good point actually. The thing is, the things I'm selling are all cheap stuff. Most of the items are no more than a couple of quid each, so it's not really worth the big fuss they're making, but it's still not fair I'm having to foot the bills. It adds up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Why? What are you planning to send? :ninja:
    Nothing of importance, I just dont want it to be confiscated or something.

ReputationRep:
    They charged me £20 to receive a couple of t-shirts from america. I'd already payed £20 on delivery when i bought them, i don't know why royal mail need £20 for 'handling' a few t-shirts..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyth)
    They charged me £20 to receive a couple of t-shirts from america. I'd already payed £20 on delivery when i bought them, i don't know why royal mail need £20 for 'handling' a few t-shirts..
    Outrageous.

The US and UK have absurd customs taxes/fees on each other.

I paid $110 USD in customs taxes when I received a kilt from Edinburgh at my home in New York.

When I ship stuff home from Uni using airmail, the speeds are wildly inconsistent. I have sent boxes via Airmail which take 5 days to get to NY. Then I have sent some via Airsure (express speed Airmail) that take 8 business days + weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry JW)
    I have an ebay related problem with them at the moment. Ordered a game, completed payment and received a message from the seller saying it had been dispatched. It's been 10 days now and was sent by Royal Mail 1st class. I checked the feedback score of the seller and saw he'd been awarded positive feedback almost 3,000 times and negative only 19 times and had been trading for a year. The worrying thing is that over half of those negs have come in just 2 weeks.

Lucky it only cost me £7
    It's quite common for people to hack a user with a high positive feedback rating, particularly ones that have been inactive for a while, and use this to scam buyers for several weeks before moving on. It's even been known for said users to sell their profiles to others, so you should always check recent sales/date of most recent sale to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    all the time I have problems.

The way around it - as people have suggested - might be to start using special delivery, although it depends on the value of the goods you are sending whether people will be willing to pay

ReputationRep:
    Never had a problem, ever. I have used most of the services too, 1st/2nd (rec/not rec), std parcels, special delivery etc. No problems at the post office end or any problems when the package arrived. Once sent a GBA game to Europe and only used a jiffy bag so the box was a little mashed but that was my fault tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    So many times our postman/woman has just put one of those "we tried to deliver but you werent in" cards through our door without even trying to deliver the parcel. They dont even ring the doorbell. Drives me insane. Just deliver the ******* parcel you *******. Arghhhhh.
    I had this yesterday, all of my family were in the house and awake (our post comes at like 9) and when the post came a slip addressed to me was in it saying I missed a delivery of a package. They didn't even ring the doorbell! Surely it's more effort to write out that slip than ring the ******* doorbell and wait for 2 minutes while we unlock the door? I had to wait for an hour after the post came (you have to wait, presumably so the package can get dumped at your local post office) and then go to the Post Office and queue for 1/2 and hour to get my package - so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a couple of problems. Boxes being ripped, envelopes being open etc. Once I ordered 4 of those o2 sim cards, and when they arrived the envelope was open, and there were only 3 cards in it. Its a good job they were free, but it still shouldn't have been opened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    The past couple of months I've been selling my things on eBay and have actually had a few problems with the Post Office and Royal Mail.

1. One of my items 'mysteriously' went missing in the post. It wasn't just a letter, it was about 20cm x 15cm x 6cm, so a little hard to misplace. The person then demanded a refund.

2. One of the items had been ripped (a lot of forced was needed to do so) and the contents taking out, with the letter then delivered empty.

3. I was undercharged postage at the Post Office, causing the recipient to pay extra, plus handling fees, which they demanded back from me.

4. An item was badly damaged, despite being solid, thick porcelain (difficult to break, unless thrown hard) even though it was covered in several layers of bubble wrap, and again I'm being charged for the damage.

5. I sent an item first class and it took over a week to get delivered, and was being hounded by the buyer throughout this time.

Should I try to get some compensation for any of these? I have packaged my items properly and efficiently, and sent them off on time, but they've been ruined/lost/miscalculated by the Post Office/Royal Mail at my loss and eBay reputation. This could stop me getting potential custom in the future, meaning I'd be at even more of a loss.

Is there anything I could do?

Dear sir/madam

I could'nt help but notice your post,I would in some way like to set the record straight,I would say that I speak with some authority being now in my 37th year of service with Royal Mail firstly you say the post office undercharged you..??This is something we (Royal Mail letters) would frown upon,since in effect the item would be costing us more to deliver than we were getting paid,thus standing us at a loss.The problem here is that although the small offices are indeed owned by Royal mail,they are operated by people who buy the business and often run a 7-11 style shop in conjunction with this.Furthermore,if you were to go into any sorting office in the country you would notice there are security camera's and "blacked out " windows all around the office,any hint of wrongdoing would be spotted immediately and the offender dismissed,by our own "investigations Branch"I would accept that given the volumes of traffic we handle items do from time to time get damaged or go missing,this is still not good enough I admit,but we are working at ways to improve all the time.However in out defense,I would also inform you that every day in every office we get items (without any..! ) address...sometimes without postage (or not enough) it is at this point that the said items have to be culled out,since they can be processed no further,this is something that will delay thousands of items a week.I should also like to point out that there a great many individuals who "claim" not to have received an item they bought from e bay and wanting a refund,thus pocketing the goods and a refund

Postino

ReputationRep:
    I bought a necklace online once. It was dispatched but I never got it, and Royal mail denied any knowledge of it. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I ordered something, it got to a week after the website had told me it'd been sent and I hadn't got it, so I e-mailed the website and they told me that Royal Mail had obviously lost it so they'd send me a replacement. So naturally the day after they sent me the replacement I received the original order, 10 days late. Gah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by POSTINO)
    Dear sir/madam

I could'nt help but notice your post,I would in some way like to set the record straight,I would say that I speak with some authority being now in my 37th year of service with Royal Mail firstly you say the post office undercharged you..??This is something we (Royal Mail letters) would frown upon,since in effect the item would be costing us more to deliver than we were getting paid,thus standing us at a loss.The problem here is that although the small offices are indeed owned by Royal mail,they are operated by people who buy the business and often run a 7-11 style shop in conjunction with this.Furthermore,if you were to go into any sorting office in the country you would notice there are security camera's and "blacked out " windows all around the office,any hint of wrongdoing would be spotted immediately and the offender dismissed,by our own "investigations Branch"I would accept that given the volumes of traffic we handle items do from time to time get damaged or go missing,this is still not good enough I admit,but we are working at ways to improve all the time.However in out defense,I would also inform you that every day in every office we get items (without any..! ) address...sometimes without postage (or not enough) it is at this point that the said items have to be culled out,since they can be processed no further,this is something that will delay thousands of items a week.I should also like to point out that there a great many individuals who "claim" not to have received an item they bought from e bay and wanting a refund,thus pocketing the goods and a refund

Postino

Reply is only a year and a half late, but that's Royal Mail all over

ReputationRep:
    Yes, several times. One week we had no mail for three days and the others it was constantly late (arriving at 3/4 in the afternnon).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.