Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good bank account (looking for free stuff) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for a good free current account to open today or tomorrow. I need it for the perks primaryly 1/3 rail card and free travel insurance.

I'm not looking for interest, I have fixed 5% as it is (down from 10% darn economy).

Thanks.

Oh yea, I'm going into uni next year, all I have is ucas comf. letter about my acceptances.

ReputationRep:
    natwest ftw

ReputationRep:
    When you start uni the most important thing will be getting the biggest free overdraft possible, might be worth opening a Halifax account now and getting a regular cashflow so you can get 2-3k in your first year should it be needed.

ReputationRep:
    With Barclays you can get Kaspersky Antivirus for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    With Barclays you can get Kaspersky Antivirus for free
    you can get that free on bit torrent too :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushhour72)
    :love:

ReputationRep:
    Freebies are possibly the worst reason to choose a bank account. The overall benefit is negligible compared to another £100 on the overdraft limit, for instance. The only free gimmick remotely worth having is the railcard. Go for the one with the biggest overdraft. When I started Uni, that was Natwest, but I'm pretty sure there are better options available now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Freebies are possibly the worst reason to choose a bank account. The overall benefit is negligible compared to another £100 on the overdraft limit, for instance. The only free gimmick remotely worth having is the railcard. Go for the one with the biggest overdraft. When I started Uni, that was Natwest, but I'm pretty sure there are better options available now.
    I have £500 interest free overdrafts over two accounts. I also have fixed 5% interest for another 8 months. These are the bank accounts I use. I also have like free youth hostel membership or a discount or something which I'd never use but they gave me with my account.

I just need travel insurance and a rail card because I'm traveling (though I know the rail card they give me is most likely UK only and not Europe), so this will be easy.

ReputationRep:
    That means you only have £1000 of interest free overdraft in total. Unless you're minted, you're going to use that up pretty quickly. I don't know anyone who hasn't maxed out their £1400 overdraft by second year. And how have you managed to get interest free overdrafts if you're not a student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rushhour72)
    But after seeing many new "working" keys being released every day makes me wonder how long it takes for them to be blacklisted before the cycle starts all over again :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah tell me about Lloyd's... bloody criminals. They've had huge amounts off me in the past because I became overdrawn, which only happened because they converted my account into a Student account, without my permission! I'm writing to them to reclaim the charges, which are likely to be judged illegal in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not with lloyds... infact i haven't even sorted a student account!

But Lloyds are offering £500 interest free overdraft in the first 6 months, going up to £1500 after 10 months. Their 'freebees' are free NUS card, huge discounts on the AA. 35 free music downloads from eMusic and a year's membership to YHA (huge discounts in hostels aound the world)

ReputationRep:
    Ha I decided not to upgrade my lloyds account entirely for this reason. My child account got upgraded to a classic, but I still have no overdraft facility what-so-ever

My student account is with natwest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    When you start uni the most important thing will be getting the biggest free overdraft possible, might be worth opening a Halifax account now and getting a regular cashflow so you can get 2-3k in your first year should it be needed.
    thats not very good advice at all. Getting the highest overdraft just means you will spend more thinking 'its ok, its free money' . Has no-one heard of the phrase 'living within your means'? If you don't have the money to buy shoes, then you don't have the shoes. If you don't have the money to go out that one extra night, you don't go out. No one will think any worse of you.

Overdraft is needed to some extent, say £250 max, but anymore is just treated as free money when its actually not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean kefw)
    thats not very good advice at all. Getting the highest overdraft just means you will spend more thinking 'its ok, its free money' . Has no-one heard of the phrase 'living within your means'? If you don't have the money to buy shoes, then you don't have the shoes. If you don't have the money to go out that one extra night, you don't go out. No one will think any worse of you.

Overdraft is needed to some extent, say £250 max, but anymore is just treated as free money when its actually not.
    Having a large OD saved my bacon in my first year. My accomodation company took the term rent a week before my funds came through. A lot of people got caught out with this and had to start trying to claim back overdraft charges and trying to claim this money back from the company. It was also useful when putting a deposit down on a new place. Also at the time when I took out my OD's my interest rate on my current account was 4%, which meant having 3k sitting in there got me an extra £120 for that year.

Just because I had the money available didn't mean I spent it, it gave me a cushion should I get into difficulty which is exactly what happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean kefw)

That's just not true unless you have a very high income. Landlords take rent out before student loans are paid in, for instance. Without a high overdraft, you'd have no chance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.