Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you really be bisexual? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Or he's implying that society looks upon homosexuality as a negative thing.
    Yeah, looking back that is the more sensible way of reading it :o:

ReputationRep:
    The whole aspect of masculine and feminine is derived from norms developed within Western Cultures. Within western societies you are deemed either male or female and thus it is seen as you are attracted to one gender or the other. Hence why this topic has been raised, for it is deviates from the norm to like both. However, these labels are only given due to our society, if you study other societies they do not have the clear divide between genders that we are used to. Therefore, of course you can be bisexual, it is only through the constraints of our society that this is deemed abnormal.

I would like to point out that personally I do not think it is abnormal, however as seen within this thread it is considered a deviation from what we expect a person to think and feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    I'm not entirely sure on the notion of one being bisexual. I personally don't mind being with a girl who is bisexual (I don't think there are many guys that would mind :awesome:), but it's important to know which gender they shift more towards. I don't believe any bisexual can be straight dead in the middle, liking male and females equally. If it was to be a case, I'd never be with the bisexual in question, not with a risk of having her abandon me for breasts and a vagina at any moment.
    Also, personally I don't like the 'serious' bisexuals, I like the fun ones :p: the girls that like guys but don't mind having a fun experiment with another girl :yep:
    Tbh I think that sums it up... I'm bi but males are definately the majority of my interests. But I do think guys who are bi-sexual tend to have a harder time finding those of the opposite sex than girls do which seems a bit harsh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
    There is a lot of debate about this - nature and nurture being one - but I'm curious as to how you feel about this.

Are you only straight or gay, or can you be a mix? What makes you this way? Do people claim to be bisexual because they don't want to admit to being gay or do people really fancy both sexes?

In todays society when the lines between beauty are so blurred, when men wear makeup and the colour pink, and women take on far more roles that have been previously considered 'masculine', is society to blame for this?
    I think it's societies fault for men wearing make up and pink, and women taking on male roles. But it doesn't make you gay, just to what's accepted in society and what's in fashion.

No, gay people at college are usually honest about being purely gay. Bis are usually girls who fancy both, because girls are pretty :p:

I don't think it's nature or nurture, it's circumstance. I fancy girls because there's something I admire in their looks, I think it was because I didn't used to like myself so I wasn't jealous as much, but admired the girl's looks.

I think being gay is nurture though, because all my gay friends have a stronger or weaker mother/father, and this affects who their fancy. A bit of a psychoanalytical theory, I know, not Freud though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Oh haha.

Emmie, slightly going off topic, are you coming to Essex in October? I'm here and absolutely love it! You're gonna have an amazing time come freshers week... jealous of being a first year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Yeah most people seem to have a preference.

I definitely lean towards boys, I love my boyfriend and I think we will be together for a long time, but there is a tiny part of that regrets I never had a relationship with a girl before I met him. I've kissed and cuddled with a few girls but never anything sexual, and I've never even been like "seeing" one.
    I'm the same, but got together with my bf this Monday But I've never even kissed a girl apart from 'spin the bottle' and I hug all my mates to say hi. I've never had a gf either But this is my second bf, so I can wait lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot_Bea)
    Emmie, slightly going off topic, are you coming to Essex in October? I'm here and absolutely love it! You're gonna have an amazing time come freshers week... jealous of being a first year!
    Yh, lol, for Psychology (obv) :p: So what do you study? What's it like there?

ReputationRep:
    I'm bisexual, sometimes I prefer men, sometimes girls, it varies, which might have something to do with being 16, I dunno. At the moment I prefer men :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same, but got together with my bf this Monday But I've never even kissed a girl apart from 'spin the bottle' and I hug all my mates to say hi. I've never had a gf either But this is my second bf, so I can wait lol.
    Yeah, with me I'm in a pretty serious relationship, I've kind of missed my chance to see what it is like to be with a girl, I've kissed 4 girls and one time it nearly went further, I wish it did now. It isn't a big worry and it doesn't bother me enough to ever want to jeopardise what I have with my bf, but its just something I think about occasionally.

Are you attracted to any of your friends, or just like strangers?

ReputationRep:
    Yh, lol, for Psychology (obv) :p: So what do you study? What's it like there?
    Haha, yeah I gathered Psychology. I'm a sociology student, going into my third year. And it is absolutely brilliant, have had the best two years... will be very sad to leave next July. Where you living? Towers??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apricot_Bea)
    Haha, yeah I gathered Psychology. I'm a sociology student, going into my third year. And it is absolutely brilliant, have had the best two years... will be very sad to leave next July. Where you living? Towers??
    Um, I haven't gotten my housing yet. Waiting till results day because it's very 50/50 (my coursework this year was utter ****!) So what do you do there?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, looking back that is the more sensible way of reading it :o:
    If it seems that I was being negative about homosexuality/bisexuality then that was not intended. But for the purposes of provoking a discussion I'm happy to be Devil's Advocate.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, I think bisexual people probably have a preference for a certain gender but I think human sexuality is sufficiently fluid for a person to be able to be attracted to both sexes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Care to elaborate? Or were you taking the piss?
    taking the piss mate. i wouldnt mind being a bisexual because of the availability but the wires in my brain are telling me ******* other guys is for puffs

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, with me I'm in a pretty serious relationship, I've kind of missed my chance to see what it is like to be with a girl, I've kissed 4 girls and one time it nearly went further, I wish it did now. It isn't a big worry and it doesn't bother me enough to ever want to jeopardise what I have with my bf, but its just something I think about occasionally.

Are you attracted to any of your friends, or just like strangers?
    One of my vague mates from college I fancy... pretty heart shaped face, mixed race, big boobs :p: Nice personality too. Haven't talked to her for a while though

I occasionally fancy strangers... and have a crush on the female film star from the Mummy, I love exotic brunettes! Not blondes though...

You fancy any mates or just strangers?

ReputationRep:
    Um, I haven't gotten my housing yet. Waiting till results day because it's very 50/50 (my coursework this year was utter ****!) So what do you do there?

Good luck then. Er, Sociology?! when you get housing, I strongly suggest Towers, no matter how crap they look. They are cheap and you have a better social life, trust! I was north towers first year and it was immense. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh wow)
    Attraction is based on more than simply being masculine or feminine isn't it.
    Is it? Why? Ignoring debates regarding God and what not, if we are here to continue our species then surely that's all that really matters, so our brains should be set up that way?

ReputationRep:
    One of my vague mates from college I fancy... pretty heart shaped face, mixed race, big boobs :p: Nice personality too. Haven't talked to her for a while though

I occasionally fancy strangers... and have a crush on the female film star from the Mummy, I love exotic brunettes! Not blondes though...

You fancy any mates or just strangers?
    There is this bi girl I used to go to school with, she isn't a close friend though. I've kissed her before, a couple of years ago. Apart from that just girls I meet out really.

ReputationRep:
    Well, some straight guys would be disgusted at the thought of kissing etc. another guy. Also, some straight girls would be disgusted at the thought of kissing etc. with another girl. If you are bi, you dont mind.. However, who knows.... at one stage it was an attention thing and people would kiss same sex under the influence of alcohol but wouldn't ever date the same sex.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely tend to lean more towards blokes although I've had experiences with girls too.

Generally though, I just tend to find people attractive regardless of their gender. It's pretty fluid, for me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.