Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I once thought I was bisexual cos girls can be aesthetically pleasing, but then the thought of kissing or having sex with a female made me sick...its just disgusting!

But imo I can understand why girls are bi, because women are hot to look at and are more understanding with emotions and it feels good to have sex with men.

But i can never understand gay men or Bisexual males...it just does not make sense to me at all, I just believe that with males its just purely a sexual thing it might feel good to **** a man but in a long term relationship...what can you do?
    I just think Bi men are either confused or gay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    scientists have found some genes that cause homosexuality and bisexuality in flies, so there could be similar genes in humans.
    Just wondering, do scientists consider these genes as 'wrong', as in are they abnormal and therefore not supposed to be there as nature intended, or are they just simply considered as a different version, big or small wings etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
    There is a lot of debate about this - nature and nurture being one - but I'm curious as to how you feel about this.

Are you only straight or gay, or can you be a mix? What makes you this way? Do people claim to be bisexual because they don't want to admit to being gay or do people really fancy both sexes?

In todays society when the lines between beauty are so blurred, when men wear makeup and the colour pink, and women take on far more roles that have been previously considered 'masculine', is society to blame for this?
    Yes, you can be bisexual. I am. And moreover, I am happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I'm open to anyone that floats my boat.
    :yes: I totally agree with that.

How can you tell someone they can't be bisexual, people can like or dislike whoever they want. Of course there is such thing otherwise there wouldn't be a name for it or people claiming to be bi.

ReputationRep:
    Is it? Why? Ignoring debates regarding God and what not, if we are here to continue our species then surely that's all that really matters, so our brains should be set up that way?
    But then you accept people can be gay :confused: I think we generally want sex with the opposite sex, but then some girls generally find other girls more beautiful than boys and vice versa. It's actually perfectly natural. Most animals are bi- look it up.

ReputationRep:
    just had a thought. maybe more people are becoming gay n bi is because there are too many people on this planet and its just natures way of controlling our species from over populating more than we already have. eh? EH!??? oooh i am good, give me the nobel prize

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of debate about this - nature and nurture being one - but I'm curious as to how you feel about this.

Are you only straight or gay, or can you be a mix? What makes you this way? Do people claim to be bisexual because they don't want to admit to being gay or do people really fancy both sexes?

In todays society when the lines between beauty are so blurred, when men wear makeup and the colour pink, and women take on far more roles that have been previously considered 'masculine', is society to blame for this?
    By asking the question "Is society to blame for this?" aren't you automatically trying to point it out as a problem?
    If so, why do you think it is a problem? I respect that everybody has an opinion but if society is finally breaking out of gender stereotypes with men and women 'mixing' their day-to-day lives and routines with new activities, aslong as they are happy, where is the problem?

Arguably alot of gender is socially constructed and therefore society is merely only changing something that it had already created; perhaps to fit in with new times.

And yes, bisexuality is legitimate and not just a homosexuals way of partially staying in the closet. Remember that most stigma aimed at homosexuals is due to the fact that they love and sleep with members of the same sex - bisexuals do this too and therefore a homosexual would have no real reason, in my opinion, to label themselves as bisexual.

ReputationRep:
    I am bisexual

I exist

The world is round

The thread is over.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, do scientists consider these genes as 'wrong', as in are they abnormal and therefore not supposed to be there as nature intended, or are they just simply considered as a different version, big or small wings etc?
    They are mutants, so aren't similar to the wings. Different size wings ect would be caused by different alleles, but the mutations for sexuality are caused by a loss of normal function in the wild-type gene by a change caused in its sequence which stops the protein from working, which causes the wiring of the flies brain to change. These mutations are uncommon in the wild as they are deleterious to the fly, causing them not to mate successfuly, or with reduced efficiency.
    Scientists don't use terms like wrong, mutations are present in the wild, at small levels, and are generally kept down by natural selection, so you could consider nature to be against them if this is what you mean, in the same way that nature selects against flies which have a mutation that makes them grow antennae in the place of legs. They are natural in the sense that they occur in nature, but are abnormal in that they are a caused by a misfunctioning of a gene which has a harmfull effect on the fly.

Sexuality is fluid.

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to agree with Dr. Kinsey's theory:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nsey_Scale.gif

If people had to categorize themselves I think it's more appropriate to do it by numbers rather than putting themselves under one of three fixed sexualities. I don't believe this 'everyone has bisexual feelings' nonsense but I do believe that some people can be predominantly straight and have homosexual attractions and fantasies without having enough attraction to fulfil them, and vice versa. I also believe that people can be straight, gay or completely in the middle. Rather than society 'causing' bisexuality I believe society has forced us into creating three fixed sexualities with some people unable to comprehend those who do not wish to be classed under one of them (I think you are one of these people OP). Animals don't seem to have fixed sexualities so I think it's only a cultural think that has caused us to categorize ourselves in such a way.

ReputationRep:
    Its very unlikely that i would say i'm bisexual so as not to admit that i'm gay. I have a boyfriend of 4 years, but i do fancy girls too. I think the thing with being bisexual though is you can fancy one sex, but you wouldnt fall in love with them, much as i enjoy them, i can't possibly imagine falling in love with a girl, dunno what other bisexuals think about this? But in answer to your question, yes, you can really be bisexual.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am... sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    Scientists don't use terms like wrong, mutations are present in the wild, at small levels, and are generally kept down by natural selection, so you could consider nature to be against them if this is what you mean, in the same way that nature selects against flies which have a mutation that makes them grow antennae in the place of legs. They are natural in the sense that they occur in nature, but are abnormal in that they are a caused by a misfunctioning of a gene which has a harmfull effect on the fly.
    Yeah that's basically what I meant, not literally right or wrong per say. It is interesting how in nature as a whole, homosexuality is seen as abnormal as it is caused by a gene that is effectively working against nature, yet in humans you are chastised for claiming it is abnormal. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against homosexuals, I'm just making an observation about human rationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    I believe society has forced us into creating three fixed sexualities with some people unable to comprehend those who do not wish to be classed under one of them (I think you are one of these people OP).
    That's one hell of a statement to make based on a few words on an internet forum don't you think? I have at no point stated my position I've merely asked people for their opinions on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh wow)
    But then you accept people can be gay :confused: I think we generally want sex with the opposite sex, but then some girls generally find other girls more beautiful than boys and vice versa. It's actually perfectly natural. Most animals are bi- look it up.
    I never said people couldn't be bisexual, I'm merely questioning your statement - why do you think it's based on more than just masculinity or femininity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomDut)
    By asking the question "Is society to blame for this?" aren't you automatically trying to point it out as a problem?
    No, using the word wrong was a lazy mistake on my part that has clearly led to a misunderstanding. How about responsible instead? Probably still too many negative connotations.

Arguably a lot of gender is socially constructed and therefore society is merely only changing something that it had already created; perhaps to fit in with new times..
    So do you think it is society that has changed causing more people to become non-heterosexual, or is it that more people are openly non-homosexual and society is changing to suit?

ReputationRep:
    No, using the word wrong was a lazy mistake on my part that has clearly led to a misunderstanding. How about responsible instead? Probably still too many negative connotations.

So do you think it is society that has changed causing more people to become non-heterosexual, or is it that more people are openly non-homosexual and society is changing to suit?
    I think that, as of late, society has changed in a way that allows men and women to cross and merge the boundaries of gender; not sexuality. Men and women are now taking part in more activities and types of lifestyle that may have previously only been allowed for one gender - yet society is now more open in allowing a 'blur' of gender to take place. This is somewhat adapted from a Post-Modern view of society. However, this is more in terms of gender than sexuality.

In terms of sexuality on the other hand, I believe that society is slowly adapting to the fact that there are homosexual and bisexual people who can lead regular lives and fit into society. Obviously there is still alot of stigma aimed at homosexual and bisexual persons, but not as much as there used to be.
    This slow adaptation has led to more homosexuals and bisexuals to out themselves than used to. I believe that for many years there has been a large number of bisexual people: however due to the negative image they were perceived as in the past many chose to only lead the 'opposite sex' lifestyle of their sexuality. I.e. a bisexual man would be interested in men and women but due to the negative picture homosexuals received he would only actively take part in sexual nature with women.
    However, due to the recent postmodern trend of accepting homosexuality and gender blurring society has merely opened the doors for bisexuals to lead their full lives; not just half.

Therefore, in a rather long answer to your question (and I apologise for this! :p: ) yes, you can be bisexual and society hasn't created bisexuality, but merely allowed bisexual men and women to lead such lives with its recent and changing views.

ReputationRep:
    I think that, as of late, society has changed in a way that allows men and women to cross and merge the boundaries of gender

lol. A typical postmodernist sentence in that it says something so obvious its banal, but dresses it up as if its a groundbreaking insight so as to sound clever.

You mean, like, old-fashioned opinions on distinct roles for men and women in society are slowly changing? No way!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure as to the debate of it, whether it's nature or nurture.... I am inclined to say it's in your nature though, e.g. people that feel that they are a woman trapped in a man's body and so start cross-dressing and so on... they mostly haven't felt that way because of nurture, as it's definitely not the socially accepted norm - that's an example of what makes me think it's in your nature.

As for being bisexual, I would never claim myself to be gay, straight or bisexual - the way I see it is I am attracted to individuals. Whether they have a penis or a vagina makes no difference.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.