Are you fed up with UK radio? Watch

crazyspacemonkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Then go here and listen live:

http://www.cfox.com/

We need something like this in the UK, I just can't believe that with the amount of followers of non-pop music we don't have an equivalent. Any one fancy starting one up?
Dr Zeuss™
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
There are loads of stations that play rock/classic rock in the uk. looking at the songs we just played page, most of the bands are played heavily on mainstream radio stations anyway.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Online radios are not always of great quality. Standard FM radios from other countries are usually of higher quality.

I listen fairly often to:
Radio Fritz in Berlin
KCRW in Santa Monica (best radio to discover new artists especially for indie and rock but also jazz, world music from time to time). Objectively, it's probably the best radio in the world for music: they're supported mostly by listeners who are willing to pay presenters whose job is essentially to trawl through new music, rather than to play only the music they like or whatever is on the radio playlist. Nic Harcourt (a Brit expatriate in LA, their best known presenter) goes through 500 new cds a week.
LurkerintheDark
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Radio 2 usually has a great playlist.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh god had to listen to radio 2 for 2 weeks and it was OK i guess a bit too intellectual for me though haha. but yeah it did have a variety of music from pussycat dolls to a-ha to bob marley(my co-worker pointed out:p: ) etc.
ellieg33
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Spotify FTW!
JamesWyl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I really like BBC 6Music. It's a bit like a cross between Radio 1 and Radio 2, without all the dance music. There's some pop but not like there is on Radio 1.
bansheeee*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
listen to www.galwaybayfm.ie its the best in the west!
Trigger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like R4 personally.
crazyspacemonkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
looking at the songs we just played page, most of the bands are played heavily on mainstream radio stations anyway.
Which radio stations play Offspring, Guns n Roses, Pearl Jam, Sublime, Matthew Good? I must be tuning my radio wrong!
crazyspacemonkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Online radios are not always of great quality.
The Fox is a real radio station in Vancouver, they just also stream it like most stations now.

(Original post by SamTheMan)
I listen fairly often to:
Radio Fritz in Berlin
KCRW in Santa Monica
Well the music on Fritz was ok, but I can't understand German so I think I just listened to the news, but I'll never know. Will try out KCRW, thanks for the suggestions.
Bong-Bong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm...I wouldn't know if I were fed up or not.

Haven't heard UK Radio since 2002.
ArtGoblin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JamesWyl)
I really like BBC 6Music. It's a bit like a cross between Radio 1 and Radio 2, without all the dance music. There's some pop but not like there is on Radio 1.
I have recently converted from XFM to 6Music. I'm so glad - I was losing faith in UK radio like the OP, but 6Music has restored it. :yes:
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
The Fox is a real radio station in Vancouver, they just also stream it like most stations now.

Well the music on Fritz was ok, but I can't understand German so I think I just listened to the news, but I'll never know. Will try out KCRW, thanks for the suggestions.
Didn't realise the Fox was a real station...

Despite having lived in Canada, I was never impressed by the quality of their stations. I remember listening occasionally to a radio called "The X" which probably aimed to be a bit like our XFM but more in the "Alternative Rock" sense that they have in North America. Even that wasn't that great.

I guess I like Radio Fritz because I speak a bit of German. I'm not sure who their audience is, couldn't never really figure it out. It sounds fairly young but they don't really stick to a specific genre. I used to listen to it a lot because I could usually bear the music they would play regularly while still playing the occasional track that would make me to look the artist up (those are the best stations).

KCRW is great, as I said probably recognised as the best radio station artistically. They don't follow the convention of usual commercially-driven stations: playlists, whatever the labels want them to play... You have to pick up the programme that you like. I recommend Nic Harcourt's main show, Morning Becomes Ecletic. You can usually listen to it recorded as well if you miss it. Metropolis which features mostly electro is incredibly good as well.

It's the kind of station I'd recommend to someone who just wants to discover quality new music with an open-mind.
Last edited by SamTheMan; 9 years ago
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (685)
90.85%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (69)
9.15%

Watched Threads