The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Public Transport

Hey,

Do York public transport providers offer any student discount fares or term bus passes?

For example, Sheffield first Bus Company offered a bus pass for e.g. £100 per term and was wondering whether in York there were any similar deals last academic year or for 2009 autumn.

Thanks for your help

Starlock
You can get a termly bus pass for about £100, but tbh it's not really worth it and I don't know anyone who got one. On the number 4 bus which goes between und and town you can get a student return for £2, compared to about £3.50 or something for non students, so that's a pretty good deal.
University of York
York
It's worth looking at the First Bus website for bus pass prices. As Memenot Mori said though, it may not be worth it. York is small enough to walk around, and the Uni is so close to the town that very few people tend to catch the bus... and many resent the price First FTR charge anyway.
Just to update, I was in York last week, and discovered that they're no longer doing a student return. A standard return is £3, and even with this it's probably not worth getting the termly pass, unless there is some reason you will be travelling by bus extremely frequently. The conductor also said it was possible they would bring the student fare back in October, when the students are back. However, part of me thinks they've been wanting to get rid of it since before they even introduced it, and figured their best opportunity to do so would be when there were no students around to kick up a fuss.
/cynicism
Reply 4
They give offers for students? I was under the impression they charged students more these days.

I don't trust bus drivers round here, whenever I ask for a single home they always interrogate me as to which stop im getting off trying to trick me into paying the extra 20p for the stop 100 yards further up the road.

I swear buses in York cost twice as much than anywhere else. Though i suppose they compensate higher costs with more frequent bus services.
Reply 5
Yeah, students get £2 return on the FTR.

I swear buses in York cost twice as much than anywhere else. Though i suppose they compensate higher costs with more frequent bus services.

No more frequent than elsewhere in the country. The number 10 (which is what I used when I lived on Hull Road) only runs every 20 minutes, and the number 4 got reduced from 1 bus every 8 minutes to 1 bus every 10 about 3 years ago. First get away with it because there's no competition.
Reply 6
laser

No more frequent than elsewhere in the country. The number 10 (which is what I used when I lived on Hull Road) only runs every 20 minutes, and the number 4 got reduced from 1 bus every 8 minutes to 1 bus every 10 about 3 years ago. First get away with it because there's no competition.

yeah that's true for most of York, though im on Tadcaster road which has the Coastliner every fifteen minuites as well as the number 12, 4, 13, 3, x64 leeds bus and a few shuttle buses that go from the villages to York so I guess i can say they're quite frequent for me to get into town. I can imagine it's hell though when there's only one bus every hour or so and it's a first one too. I'd never dare ride a bike down blossom street either with all those bendy buses going round to the station, I nearly saw someone get run-over by a purple one when it just cut the corner outside The Windmill. I've seen people get knocked off bikes a couple of times by buses around there as well in the past they're too big really for a city with historical awkward streets.
Reply 7
laser

Could be worse - the bus I get in Worcester comes once every 2 hours (!!!!), and the latest one is at 5:10pm. It's shocking service.
Reply 8
get a bike, public transport is a rip-off and you're not going to use it as often as you think anyway
Reply 9
Once per 20 minutes?
Once per ten?

At £2 Return?

I get buses from my road perhaps five times per day. Low standards have advantages, I guess. =\

Latest