Turn on thread page Beta

'True love' or kids? watch

• View Poll Results: 'True love' or kids?
    Stay with bf
    57.58%
    Leave
    42.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Just for fun! So hypothetically, waay into the future when you're wanting to settle down, you find your soulmate and want to spend the rest of your lives with each other, but you find out he doesn't want kids. Stay with him or leave for the option of having kids?
    Wonder at what point I turned gay.

FWIW, any man who doesn't want kids is not a real man.

ReputationRep:
    Kids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    There is no such thing as a "soulmate" and "real love" doesn't exist.

/thread

Haha! The rational cynic.

ReputationRep:
    i want to smear children on me like peanut butter
    so no

ReputationRep:
    I'm in that situation now. She wants kids, I don't. Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    I am confused by most of the arguments to have kids

the "kids stay around longer" one :

Are you only having children to have as friends/keep you company are they some kind of sustitute for love with a partner?
    Surely the reason to have children has to run a bit deeper than they can't run off and leave?
    In my head having Children is about wanting to make a life with someone you love so much, you want to create a part of you and them together, and pass that onto a new generation and all that..it isn't that well thought out an idea to express, and I respect others have different ideas... I just don't get this idea that children are to keep parents company, and born to give the parents unconditional love and all that.

Even if it is just one reason among many, it smacks to me of naiive 15 year olds from a broken home on the Jeremy Kyle show claiming they will do anything to get preggers to have someone to love and love them back!

the

"not having children is selfish" attitude:

If anything having children for some reasons, to keep yourself happy, because you want to, to get money off the state, tons others is VERY selfish
    The act of rearing a child can be selfless as it takes time, patience and love, but this does not follow that not having chilren is selfish, as if you don't have them, nothing changes in your life, so you are as selfish/selfless as you were anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Well if he was your soulmate, and perfect for you, then if you wanted kids he'd by definition want kids too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jambre)
    Well if he was your soulmate, and perfect for you, then if you wanted kids he'd by definition want kids too.
    Stop picking holes! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    he wouldn't be my soulmate if he didn't want kids :dontknow:
    This!

ReputationRep:
    marry him then fool him :P

ReputationRep:
    my real soulmate would be someone who also wanted kids so id leave. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    if he definitely wasn't ever going to change his mind then leave him and have children. the love you have for your children is the truest, more indiscriminate, never ending love that exists.
    Plus no matter how much you love a person there will always be someone else out there for you, I know a lot of people don't like to admit that and get quite offended by it but it's not like there's one person in the whole world who can make you happy.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I also don't think I'd be 'soulmates' or whatever with someone who didn't want kids. To me it's so crucial.

For example I find it really attractive that my boyfriend loves kids and I know that being a good dad would be so important to him. I probably won't be with my boyfriend for ever but knowing that is something I love about him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.