Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think its pretty funny when insecure people get 'engaged' swiftly watch

ReputationRep:
    There is a certain type, and tbh, it is usually the girl driving it, but there are some people who have been going out for maybe 2-3 months, even 6 months and then feel the need to get engaged as a matter of course. This doesn't even have to involve a ring, just the boasting to anyone who will listen and the appropriate facebook relationship status...

They seem to need it merely to show the world that they are serious rather than any particular plan to get married in the forseeable future.

A girl I knew was engaged to some boy she had met at uni for the first half of the first year and then they broke up, she slept around a bit, started going steady with another guy and within a few months they were engaged as well

Do these people not realise it looks a bit needy and tragic and that if you enter such an agreement so easily and quickly it somewhat devalues the whole thing? it seems like they are somewhat insecure with their relationship if they quickly look to 'cement' it with an 'engagement' apparently flippantly :woo:

What do people think? Maybe these people are just 'passionate'? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I suppose these people are maybe quite lonely, and feel the need to make a huuge show to the world that a boy loves them, to bolster their own self-confidence.

ReputationRep:
    I agree - it's a huge decision, and its significance lessens when it's made several times.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.. it totally devalues the whole nature of 'engagement' but I guess some people just need a bit of a safety net, perhaps?

How do these people get the other person to go along with it anyway though?... most people I know, including me, would FREAK if anyone mentioned anything about 'engagement' so near to a starting point :s

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of girls who actually change their facebook status to 'engaged' or even 'married', even when they're clearly not - just been going out for even a month or so!

Recently, I have noticed that some girls actually change their status to be married or engaged to another girl when they're not with guy - and these are straight people!

I say 'girls' not in a sexist way, but honestly because I've only ever known girls to do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    There is a certain type, and tbh, it is usually the girl driving it, but there are some people who have been going out for maybe 2-3 months, even 6 months and then feel the need to get engaged as a matter of course. This doesn't even have to involve a ring, just the boasting to anyone who will listen and the appropriate facebook relationship status...

They seem to need it merely to show the world that they are serious rather than any particular plan to get married in the forseeable future.

A girl I knew was engaged to some boy she had met at uni for the first half of the first year and then they broke up, she slept around a bit, started going steady with another guy and within a few months they were engaged as well

Do these people not realise it looks a bit needy and tragic and that if you enter such an agreement so easily and quickly it somewhat devalues the whole thing? it seems like they are somewhat insecure with their relationship if they quickly look to 'cement' it with an 'engagement' apparently flippantly :woo:

I don't think it's funny I think it's sad. The reason I think this is that one of my mates got engaged to his gf. No big deal right? She got pregrant and then decided to have a abortion.... he's admitting it now, but doesn't want to date much as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    I know loads of girls who actually change their facebook status to 'engaged' or even 'married', even when they're clearly not - just been going out for even a month or so!

Recently, I have noticed that some girls actually change their status to be married or engaged to another girl when they're not with guy - and these are straight people!

I say 'girls' not in a sexist way, but honestly because I've only ever known girls to do this.
    Lol, it's for a joke sometimes. My sis is straight, but married to her best mate on it... but my ex wasn't happy when his mate changed his status to being married to the ex's ex. Lol

ReputationRep:

I completely agree with you and I think it's STUPID how many people make what is supposed to be such a big decision so early on tbh. People need to give themselves a slap and remember that they're living in the real world and not a Jane Austen novel

ReputationRep:

haha guilty but tbh mines a longstanding joke between my friends because me and my best friend r so close.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got married to an American bloke, because she didn't think she'd find anyone else. She's 19 ¬_¬ She can't live with him, because you need to be 21 to get the Green Card for marriage, and he can't come over here because he was arrested here for ABH, and they won't allow him to have the right to stay. Plus, now there's new laws akin to America's.
    She went over for three months, wanted to divorce him, but ended up saying that they were fine, and going to carry on with it although he's been hitting her and he's an absolute knob to her.

Some people make the mind boggle.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-lolarose-x)
    People need to give themselves a slap and remember that they're living in the real world and not a Jane Austen novel
    Yep, this.
    I wonder whether some people drastically over-rate how much people care about the status of someone else's relationship ...

Has anyone seen Robert from 'Psychoville'?
    Him and Debbie ...
    If you have, you might know what I'm jabbering on about! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that is related necessarily, is usually just a joke between to girl best friends .
    or they think it is slightly less needy than 'single'

ReputationRep:
    I think in most cases it can be for the wrong reasons, I think calling it naivity is far more dignified than saying someone is an insecure mess, especially when most of the people referred to here will be very young and won't act like that forever. However, its not for anyone else to judge. If two people want to get married or engaged its their business. People neeed to make their own mistakes in life, and its better if others don't demonise people they don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvonnay)
    haha guilty but tbh mines a longstanding joke between my friends because me and my best friend r so close.
    Hahaha, okay, I'll let you off then! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure that is related necessarily, is usually just a joke between to girl best friends .
    or they think it is slightly less needy than 'single'
    Well, it was intended to be related to it.
    I guess you're entitled to your opinion though.

It only serves to devalue the institutions of engagement and marriage.
    In my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keiran0)
    I think in most cases it can be for the wrong reasons, I think calling it naivity is far more dignified than saying someone is an insecure mess, especially when most of the people referred to here will be very young and won't act like that forever. However, its not for anyone else to judge. If two people want to get married or engaged its their business. People neeed to make their own mistakes in life, and its better if others don't demonise people they don't understand.
    Might be more dignified but its probably not more accurate.
    I'm not demonising them I'm feeling sorry for them and occasionally laughing (yeah, i guess that makes me evil :devil:) :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I don't think marriage should be taken so lightly. Some people are just a bit foolish these days.

ReputationRep:
    I pity them.

ReputationRep:
    I know people like this - usually the woman is overweight. I don't wish to generalise, but I just have....

Hard hat on for neg rep.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.