Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's been a thread about this in a while so here goes

For those with curly hair, a few questions:
    - How do you reduce frizz and tame those curls?
    - Which products do you use (if any)?
    - What's your current hair style?
    - How long is your hair?
    - Would you prefer straight hair?

How do you do your hair in the mornings? Does it take long? I personally can't tie mine up for more than a few hours before the curls go out of shape and in a big mess!

I've got really curly hair and it annoys the **** out of me sometimes. There's no way I could straighten mine, it goes back to curly after a few hours - Plus I find it just looks weird on me.

Mine's kinda like this but with a side parting and it's midway down my back:

I'm going to get it cut soon though. I wanted to see how everyone else manages to live with their curls - if you have pictures, that'd be great

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started using Aussie Hair's Frizz Mircale shampoo. Smells gorgeous and makes the hair really soft so that the curls are less harsh and stiff. I also use conditioner everytime. I actually use a cheapo one from Poundland - Creightons for Brunette Hair. It works a treat.

Only very occassionally to tame my curls, I use a Charles Worthingtion Frizz Easing Leave in Spray Conditioner thingy lol. :o:

Its currently curly and tied back.

- How long is your hair?
    Very long - about waist length.

No. Never. I love my curls - even though they are crazy.

Personally I reckon just letting it dry naturally after using a good shampoo and conditioner (not necessarily those aimed at curly hair or expensive products) will do just fine. You just have to wait for the results.

Also wash it with cooler water - it really does make a difference. Or if you don't want to do that - splash icy water on your hair after washing it.

ReputationRep:
    apparently when you wash your hair, you should squeeze all of the water out properly in the shower and then not comb it...it reduces frizz but obviously depends on how knotty your hair gets...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)
    - How do you reduce frizz and tame those curls? I've recently started using Aussie Hair's Frizz Mircale shampoo. Smells gorgeous and makes the hair really soft so that the curls are less harsh and stiff. I also use conditioner everytime. I actually use a cheapo one from Poundland - Creightons for Brunette Hair. It works a treat.
    - Which products do you use (if any)? Only very occassionally to tame my curls, I use a Charles Worthingtion Frizz Easing Leave in Spray Conditioner thingy lol. :o: - What's your current hair style? Its currently curly and tied back.
    - How long is your hair? Very long - about waist length.
    - Would you prefer straight hair? No I hate it especially straight hair on me.

Personally I reckon just letting it dry naturally after using a good shampoo and conditioner (not necessarily those aimed at curly hair or expensive products) will do just fine. You just have to wait for the results.
    Ah is that product quite expensive?
    Yeah I let mine dry naturally aswell, but I have to tie mine up at a certan point inbetween for a bit - I don't know why but if I don't, it'll go all puffy and the curls are less defined =\ Mines not frizzy normally, though the top part of my hair can go a bit mental in the rain/wind.

(Original post by *Miss A*)
    apparently when you wash your hair, you should squeeze all of the water out properly in the shower and then not comb it...it reduces frizz but obviously depends on how knotty your hair gets...
    God no, I could never comb it whilst dry - that's madness :eek3: My hair verges on ringlety at the base, so yeah, it gets pretty damn knotty!

ReputationRep:
    I use Umberto Giannini sleek&chic blow dry cream it's really good, makes my hair feel smooth! Although if I use too much I then have to use a volumising spray because it looks too flat.

Pantene volume spray, the blow dry cream I mentioned, toni&guy beach curls spray sometimes

At the moment it's shoulder length (I prefered it longer though, I found it easier to manage!) and had layers cut into it- I like layers but last time I got it cut they cut tiiiny ones so when I have my hair curly I have to make sure they're not sticking out everywhere :rolleyes: ohwell I shall just wait for it to grow! lol

I've shortened my hair routine down to 10-30 mins :cool: Sometimes I just brush it and like the natural shape the curls are in so I hairspray it, Other times I 'poof' it about a bit, and then sometimes I straighten it

my hair used to go back curly all the time until I got GHD's! I can't use spray/hairspray after it though as it makes it curl a bit! Anyone know a way around this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    Ah is that product quite expensive?
    Yeah I let mine dry naturally aswell, but I have to tie mine up at a certan point inbetween for a bit - I don't know why but if I don't, it'll go all puffy and the curls are less defined =\ Mines not frizzy normally, though the top part of my hair can go a bit mental in the rain/wind.

God no, I could never comb it whilst dry - that's madness :eek3: My hair verges on ringlety at the base, so yeah, it gets pretty damn knotty!
    Yes it is expensive. I bought it for the first time because it was on for £1.70 at Morrissons. Bought quite a fair bit of stock.
    I've given up combing my hair except for the top and its actually improved the condition of the rest of my hair. I have fairly straight tips - like the bottom inch of my hair is just curl-less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky1990)
    I use Umberto Giannini sleek&chic blow dry cream it's really good, makes my hair feel smooth! Although if I use too much I then have to use a volumising spray because it looks too flat.

Pantene volume spray, the blow dry cream I mentioned, toni&guy beach curls spray sometimes

At the moment it's shoulder length (I prefered it longer though, I found it easier to manage!) and had layers cut into it- I like layers but last time I got it cut they cut tiiiny ones so when I have my hair curly I have to make sure they're not sticking out everywhere :rolleyes: ohwell I shall just wait for it to grow! lol

I've shortened my hair routine down to 10-30 mins :cool: Sometimes I just brush it and like the natural shape the curls are in so I hairspray it, Other times I 'poof' it about a bit, and then sometimes I straighten it

my hair used to go back curly all the time until I got GHD's! I can't use spray/hairspray after it though as it makes it curl a bit! Anyone know a way around this?
    Can't you add the product whist straightening?
    Hmm actually, it depends on the product because some sizzle and make your hair greasy =\

How curly is your hair? There's no way in hell I could comb mine when dry! I always have to wash it first and then wait for it to dry Which is why I'm thinking of getting it shorter, less hair = less hassle maybe?

Ohhh really short layers are annoying aren't they! The last time I got my hair cut, the lady cut the front layers so short than it couldn't tie it up when curly and it looked weird. Thank god that's grown out now but yesss, I don't like hairdressers much these days! Never know what to "do".

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is expensive. I bought it for the first time because it was on for £1.70 at Morrissons. Bought quite a fair bit of stock.
    I've given up combing my hair except for the top and its actually improved the condition of the rest of my hair. I have fairly straight tips - like the bottom inch of my hair is just curl-less.
    Ooo mine gets more curly as it goes to the bottom - starts of wavy, then curly and then goes ringlety =\

£1.70s not bad, they're all getting more expensive though - Toni & Guy stuff was £4 for 100ml last time I checked :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Can't you add the product whist straightening?
    Hmm actually, it depends on the product because some sizzle and make your hair greasy =\

How curly is your hair? There's no way in hell I could comb mine when dry! I always have to wash it first and then wait for it to dry Which is why I'm thinking of getting it shorter, less hair = less hassle maybe?

Ohhh really short layers are annoying aren't they! The last time I got my hair cut, the lady cut the front layers so short than it couldn't tie it up when curly and it looked weird. Thank god that's grown out now but yesss, I don't like hairdressers much these days! Never know what to "do".
    Yea that works sometimes if I wait for it to dry a little but I'm just far too impatient! lol
    My hair is quite curly but if I brush it when wet it tends to not knot up when it's dry and doesn't hurt
    I thought that too, I think that it would be far better if it was just a little longer than it is so it was just past shoulders maybe! I'll have to see when it grows though :P it does take a lot of time out of styling/straightening when shorter but is taking a lot of getting used to for me. I have exactly that problem when tying my hair up! It's awful :/ I'm going to tell them the shortest I want any layers to go next time I think..

ReputationRep:
    I have curly hair :yes:
    It's usually quite terrible cause I'm sooo lazy to do anything to it.

* I don't. I just wake up in the morning and pray that my hair looks decent that day.. usually it doesn't. If it look absolutely terrible I put it on a ponytale or braid it or something like that.

* Shampoo, conditioner.. some Bedhead stuff

* about shoulder length, side parting. I'm bored to death and I'm planning to do something new next time I go to the hairdresser's. I'd like to get a fringe but I would have to straighten it every morning if I get one and I can't be bothered.

- How long is your hair?
    * shoulder length

* sometimes yes, but not really. I think my hair is part of me and I kinda like it. I would look so boring with a straight hair and my hair isn't very thick so it would suck. Anyway, I do wish that there would be more good looking hair styles for curly hair.. I can't find any.

This it what my hair pretty much looks like (apart from the colour and length) if I don't blow dry it or style it in any way:

EDIT:
    Actually, this picture is much more truthful:

EDIT2:
    Wow I just realized that my hair is exactly like Hermione's in the newest Harry Potter film. Not sure if it's a good thing though.

If I have my hair curly, I don't touch it. If it's a bad day, then I'll put a bit of serum in it. But that's it. If I'm going to have my hair curly for the day, I won't blow dry it.

Luckily, mine straightens quite well.

ReputationRep:
    -How do you reduce frizz and tame those curls?

Well I have afro hair so there isn't much in the way of taming that can be done, it's frizzy by definition.

I use leave-in conditioners, but haven't found one that I really like yet.

It's tied back with a straightened front section that is clipped back, and then two plaits tucked behind my ears.

- How long is your hair?

A few inches past my shoulders once straightened.

Yes because my hair is ridiculously difficult to look after and do anything with, and it doesn't ever really look nice.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo mine gets more curly as it goes to the bottom - starts of wavy, then curly and then goes ringlety =\

£1.70s not bad, they're all getting more expensive though - Toni & Guy stuff was £4 for 100ml last time I checked :eek:
    :eek: Rip off! Actually, I'm just not a fan of Toni and Guy products.

£1.70 is better than half price for the standard 300ml bottle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky1990)
    Yea that works sometimes if I wait for it to dry a little but I'm just far too impatient! lol
    My hair is quite curly but if I brush it when wet it tends to not knot up when it's dry and doesn't hurt
    I thought that too, I think that it would be far better if it was just a little longer than it is so it was just past shoulders maybe! I'll have to see when it grows though :P it does take a lot of time out of styling/straightening when shorter but is taking a lot of getting used to for me. I have exactly that problem when tying my hair up! It's awful :/ I'm going to tell them the shortest I want any layers to go next time I think..
    Mine's not knotty because it's all messy and tangled, but because each of the curls/ringlets is twisted round in its own way which causes the combing issue!

The last time I went to the hair dressers, I told them to take an inch off. I went in there with mid-back length hair and came out with it being just below the shoulders. I had triange hair for a month until it grew

(Original post by BlueLips)
    * I don't. I just wake up in the morning and pray that my hair looks decent that day.. usually it doesn't. If it look absolutely terrible I put it on a ponytale or braid it or something like that.
    Ohh you're actually quite lucky, a ponytail is a nono for me - it'd have to be a bun or something if that happened t me!

Anyway, I do wish that there would be more good looking hair styles for curly hair.. I can't find any.
    mmm yes! Which is why I keep putting off going to get it cut!

ReputationRep:
    Charles Worthington Dream Hair Voluptuous Curls Defining Spray I bought it randomly when there was an offer on Charles Worthington products and its honestly one of the best things I've ever used. I never use a hairdryer because it makes my hair go so big/frizzy/poofy which can be a pain really but I live with it.

As above. Just spritz it on to damp hair, run your fingers through it then leave it to dry naturally or blow dry. My hair is very curly and if I dont use a product then it just looks frizzy and crap. That spray really defines curls.

Pretty horrific really. Desperatly in need of a cut. I've got layers which you can only see when I have it straight but other than that its just a very awful shoulder length style.

- How long is your hair?
    Big longer than shoulder length.

Yes just because it would be so much easier to manage.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Rip off! Actually, I'm just not a fan of Toni and Guy products.

£1.70 is better than half price for the standard 300ml bottle.
    I'm not either, I don't like Frizz Ease either, doesnt work for me =\ Yep, although I do go through 300ml at a quiz rate because my hairs so long and retarded!

(Original post by Antifazian)

Yes because my hair is ridiculously difficult to look after and do anything with, and it doesn't ever really look nice.
    I feel your pain. Even though I don't have afro hair, it's ridiculously curly, pretty much like this:

How often do you get your hair cut?

ReputationRep:
    Btw, am I the only one whose hair seems to get curlier all the time? I mean like when I was a kid my hair was only a little bit wavy. Then it started to get more and more wavy and now when I'm 19 it's actually curly.
    Weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    Charles Worthington Dream Hair Voluptuous Curls Defining Spray I bought it randomly when there was an offer on Charles Worthington products and its honestly one of the best things I've ever used. I never use a hairdryer because it makes my hair go so big/frizzy/poofy which can be a pain really but I live with it.

As above. Just spritz it on to damp hair, run your fingers through it then leave it to dry naturally or blow dry. My hair is very curly and if I dont use a product then it just looks frizzy and crap. That spray really defines curls.

Pretty horrific really. Desperatly in need of a cut. I've got layers which you can only see when I have it straight but other than that its just a very awful shoulder length style.
    Ohh, that looks like a good product - the price is a bit much for me, as I'd go through the bottle in no time at all! Do you dampen your hair in the morning? I know some people who wash their hair the night before, add some serum (or something) to it and tie it up tightly. Then in the morning, it's still damp and they add leave in cream.

I can't add anything to mine when it's dry. Once it's gone dry, its pretty much "deal with it" XD

ReputationRep:
    my hair is pretty curly, its sort of wavy near the top then gets ringlets near the bottom. When I go to the hairdressers or just have ha it cut my hair looks okayish curly, but I just can't get it as good and everytime I blow dry it it just gets frizzy and the curls look awful! so I straighten hair a lot of the time, not that my hair straightens great either!
    I might try that curl defining spray mentioned..sounds good.

anyways, if i am having curly hair, I use this MOP spray stuff to stop frizz..it's not great but its ok. And thats all I use.

If I straighten, I use Charles worthington straightening balm which is quite good, leaves your hair really soft. Currently my hair is just a mess though needs a cut/style.

I do think straight hair would be a lot easier to manage, but I woulnt change curly hair. Curly hair you can straighten and sometimes get it good, straight hair can never achieve good natural-looking curls imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irachx)
    my hair is pretty curly, its sort of wavy near the top then gets ringlets near the bottom. When I go to the hairdressers or just have ha it cut my hair looks okayish curly, but I just can't get it as good and everytime I blow dry it it just gets frizzy and the curls look awful! so I straighten hair a lot of the time, not that my hair straightens great either!
    Yours sounds kinda like mine actually - except it takes me about 2hours to straighten my hair (mainly because I don't do it much so I'm slow, and it's long, and it takes a few times to get it properly straight).

How long does it take to do your hair?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.