Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth it doing extra activities? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth it doing extra-curricular actives such as the Duke of Edinburgh award with the aim of getting a place in a top university?

I think for me it's either take 5 subjects (at AS) OR do 4 subjects and the DofE award (although I don't have a clue what to do for the skill section!)

What do you recommend? I think I've always heard that the academic grades are priority then extra-curricular...

ReputationRep:
    Why take more than 3 ALevels if that's all the offer is going to be based on?

Do extra stuff by all means, yes. It will help you keep sane. But which ones you do depends very much on the course you aim to apply for - Medicine, say, is different to what you would do that is relavent for Architecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Why take more than 3 ALevels if that's all the offer is going to be based on?

I'm taking further maths and maths which is treated as 1 A-level. I'd also like to broaden my studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave129)
    I'm taking further maths and maths which is treated as 1 A-level. I'd also like to broaden my studies.
    You can pretty much do what you like then - unless you fancy getting some work experience etc in a specific field. Make sure you do things you enjoy that mean you can relax.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth it doing extra-curricular actives such as the Duke of Edinburgh award with the aim of getting a place in a top university?

I think for me it's either take 5 subjects (at AS) OR do 4 subjects and the DofE award (although I don't have a clue what to do for the skill section!)

What do you recommend? I think I've always heard that the academic grades are priority then extra-curricular...
    The more A levels you can do, the better.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...r-1521680.html

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are treated as one-A-level. But we all know it is more rigorous than some of the mickey mouse courses currently on offer.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth it doing extra-curricular activities such as the Duke of Edinburgh award with the aim of getting a place in a top university?
    In one word, yes. Universities don't just look at your grades, they are just simply the entry criteria. They couldn't put entry criteria such as 'well-rounded person' etc, but this is very important. Top Uni's look past your grades (although they're obviously very important) and want you to have life experience ideally - that's why mature students are so popular.

Doing the Duke of Edinburgh or equivalent will show there's more to you than simply reading books and studying. Also, join clubs and societies that appeal to you. Make the most out of your time at college, you don't get it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    The more A levels you can do, the better.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...r-1521680.html
    i know i shouldnt judge, but surely taking 23 a-levels must have taken a toll on his social life (or lack thereof) and other hobbies? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    i know i shouldnt judge, but surely taking 23 a-levels must have taken a toll on his social life (or lack thereof) and other hobbies? :confused:
    No you're right - but if you really want to make sure you'll get in, you've got to make sacrifices .

It depends how you define social life. I'm sure this guy did lots of extracurricular activities too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Do extra stuff by all means, yes. It will help you keep sane. But which ones you do depends very much on the course you aim to apply for - Medicine, say, is different to what you would do that is relavent for Architecture.
    :confused: what would you do for medicine? cause i have no idea.... im not part of any major clubs, all my hobbies (art and writing) arn't really quantifiable in awards. And honestly apart from work experience/voluntary service does stuff like D of E/debating club/gold olympic medal/ actually matter that much???

Everyone says different things. :mad: Why can't the uni just let us do heart surgery and the ones that don't kill the patient too badly gets in...-.-

ReputationRep:
    No you're right - but if you really want to make sure you'll get in, you've got to make sacrifices .

It depends how you define social life. I'm sure this guy did lots of extracurricular activities too...
    my god..that must have been crazy..

but doesn't the university make offers based on how many subjects you do? Like if you had taken 5 A levels, the offer would be 5 A's??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If you're planning to take a science subject at uni, quantity is much appreciated when it comes to A levels. If you're looking forward to an art subject, proficiency in that subject will definitely be much more important than the number of A levels you've taken.

As far as doing extra-curricular stuff is concerned, remember that other people will do them too. This means two things: a) the more people do them, the less relevant they will become as a selection criteria, and b) more people will tend to focus too much on the extra-curricular and forget about their actual destination subject-wise. I think the best to do is activities which directly have some relevance to your interests and maybe uni course.

ReputationRep:

I've heard 25% of all applicants are sitting with 4 As at AS level
    so "extra curricular" stuff is to seperate the men from the boys I guess...
    It's pretty stupid how people need an ulterior motive to help other people out but if you want to get into a good uni, maybe you just have to play the game...

ReputationRep:
    my god..that must have been crazy..

but doesn't the university make offers based on how many subjects you do? Like if you had taken 5 A levels, the offer would be 5 A's??? :confused:
    Yes. But just imagine you're the admissions tutor, two candidates, one with only 5 As, the other with 21, who would you take, realistically? Obviously there is no requirement to do more than 3 A-levels. But the fittest survives...

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But just imagine you're the admissions tutor, two candidates, one with only 5 As, the other with 21, who would you take, realistically? Obviously there is no requirement to do more than 3 A-levels. But the fittest survives...
    good point...

a totally unrelated question- if you do do 4 subjects then would the offer be 4 A's, rather than 3 A's :confused:

ReputationRep:
    good point...

a totally unrelated question- if you do do 4 subjects then would the offer be 4 A's, rather than 3 A's :confused:
    It depends on the person (or the institution) giving the offer - mine was still 3 As .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would say do four A-Levels, and then extras if you can. These extras, however, really should be continued while at university. They're valuable for getting into university, but far more important for preparing you for the world of work and improving your CV.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It depends on the course and the university in question. In Economics, for example, a number of universities will give you an offer based on 4 A-Levels if you do A-Level Further Maths.

ReputationRep:

most people do extra-curriculars to get their mind off studies and because they enjoy it, not because they want to go to a top university.

ReputationRep:

Have you thought about doing the extra subject and starting the DoE but then only doing as much DoE as you have time for? Theres no time limit really because you can continue your DoE at uni.

And does 'completed my silver Duke of Edinburgh award' and 'in the process of finishing my silver Duke of Edinburgh award' really look that different on your application form?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.