Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth it doing extra activities? watch

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the top universities care almost completely about your academic potential, suitability for the course, and that you won't drop out before you finish. Unless you're doing a course where evidence you want to pursue the related career (e.g. medicine, veterinary medicine, law, etc.) it's really not as important as the academics.

(Original post by Athena)

I've helped out with Oxford interviews twice, and candidates have been criticised by interviewers for substituting an A level/AS level for DoE. Top flight universities don't like you neglecting academic studies for this, in most cases.

(Incidentally, I have all but the camping section of bronze and silver DoE and I did 5AS/4A levels, two AEAs, as well as general studies... so it doesn't have to be either/or!)
    :eyeball: Seriously? Anything else you can tell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :eyeball: Seriously? Anything else you can tell?
    wow...:eek: u really dont quit!

:yes: you will do great things in life :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)

I've helped out with Oxford interviews twice, and candidates have been criticised by interviewers for substituting an A level/AS level for DoE. Top flight universities don't like you neglecting academic studies for this, in most cases.

(Incidentally, I have all but the camping section of bronze and silver DoE and I did 5AS/4A levels, two AEAs, as well as general studies... so it doesn't have to be either/or!)
    Agreed. People often forget universities are academic and not recreational institutions. I'm sure there are diploma courses out there if people want to do full time camping and hiking.

And you also have to ask, if they have to substitute an A-level in order to do DoE, should they really be at Oxford (just in case anyone missed the rhetorical question, no they shouldn't).

ReputationRep:
    D of E isn't going to make much impact on top University Admissions tutors. Extra curricular activities are only impressive on a personal statement when they are relevant to the subject, eg if you want to apply for Economics and you have done Young Enterprise and mention that you want a career running a business thus you want to gain a good understanding of how business and the economy as a whole works, then that looks good, similarly if you have been in the Debating society and you are applying for Law or Politics, if you want to do French and you have spent your summer holidays cycling round the south of France.

ReputationRep:
    Alevels are more important than ECAs. but the more all-rounded, the better.

ReputationRep:
    I love how people are still so caught up in the myth that ECs matter. An extra A-level is always going to be more highly regarded than almost anything you could do besides some extensive, and very relevant, work experience. DoE, volunteering etc. mean nothing to most admissions tutors. I wouldnt waste a single word of my personal statement on anything of the sort, use the very limited space to get across your love for the subject and you wont go far wrong.

ReputationRep:
    As DaveParlour and MagicNMedicine said OP DofE won't be advantageous to your application. Do it as in addition to your studies for fun, by all means, but only relevant extra-curriculars matter.

In most cases there isn't any real advantage to doing more A Levels or AS Levels than required (Cambridge, amongst others, states this on their website) but Maths and Further Maths is an exception to this. Do the extra AS/A2 Level

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.