Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    UEA not mentioned on the first page and OP said the "other" med school has been around for ~150 years.
    I don't think it really matters, but my money would be on Leicester/Cambridge. I don't actually want to know though, unlike you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    UEA not mentioned on the first page and OP said the "other" med school has been around for ~150 years.
    Cambridge has been around a hell of a lot longer than 150 years; "The teaching of medicine at the University of Cambridge dates back to 1540". UEA not being mentioned on the first page is just a technicality, the only overlaps that seem to exist with medical schools that have extremely strong scientific courses are Bristol and Peninsula (Bristol isn't hardcore preclinical/clinical), Oxford and Leicester (already mentioned together) and Cambridge and UEA. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Cambridge has been around a hell of a lot longer than 150 years; "The teaching of medicine at the University of Cambridge dates back to 1540". UEA not being mentioned on the first page is just a technicality, the only overlaps that seem to exist with medical schools that have extremely strong scientific courses are Bristol and Peninsula (Bristol isn't hardcore preclinical/clinical), Oxford and Leicester (already mentioned together) and Cambridge and UEA. :holmes:
    Lol. I meant UEA being the other. I think the OP goes to Oxford/Cambridge but I don't think UEA has been around for anywhere near 150 years has it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I don't think it really matters, but my money would be on Leicester/Cambridge. I don't actually want to know though, unlike you :p:
    I know I have no idea why I'm so curious.

Curiosity killed the cat

ReputationRep:
    Peninsula and Bristol don't share any teaching hospitals, so it can't be them. And he said it wasn't a new one.

How about UCL/Imperial and another London one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Cambridge has been around a hell of a lot longer than 150 years; "The teaching of medicine at the University of Cambridge dates back to 1540". UEA not being mentioned on the first page is just a technicality, the only overlaps that seem to exist with medical schools that have extremely strong scientific courses are Bristol and Peninsula (Bristol isn't hardcore preclinical/clinical), Oxford and Leicester (already mentioned together) and Cambridge and UEA.
    It's already been pointed out that it would be very difficult for it to be UEA as they study haematology and cardiology in 2nd year (so would know how to read ECGs) and they study paediatrics in 4th year and the OP met 5th year students.

Personally I think which medical schools are involved in this is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think knowing the school matters in the slighest. Without more information a fair comparison cannot be made and even then you cannot compare school with different systems.

With the differing systems and curriculums only the final product, a fifth year/finalist, can be compared.

ReputationRep:
    Now UCL do not do preclinical/clinical, and I think the OP has said that they do, so does this rule UCL out?
    Yes they do. UCL has a very, very, very strong preclinical/clinical divide.

They also have compulsory intercalation, so it's a 6 year course. As the OP stated that the students were older than him, it rules out UCL as the "lesser" school. As UCL does not have separate pathology papers, it's ruled out as the OP's school.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably BL, everyone knows we're **** (despite the quality of our junior doctors).

ReputationRep:
    The point isn't what school the OP goes to, it is a very interesting assertion that maybe, just maybe 'not all medical schools are equal'. Not just 'different', but that they possibly produce different standards of graduates. I have no where near enough experience to say either way. Does anyone out there with bigger jugs than mine want to weigh in??

ReputationRep:
    bigger jugs, macca? certainly not.

medical education is made of so many different departments and faculties, that for anyone to propose that aggregate teaching is better at one place than another is to miss the point. That point is that you can't quantify an aggregate for all those faculties.
    anyone who finks they can is either stoopid, or selling somefing.

moreover, to completely miss the point that one student would ate one school but love another, and to be totally oblivious to people as individuals that are very different from each other, whoses needs are met by different schools and staff and teaching meffods, is to display a complete ignorance of what it is to be uman, and i'm suprised you are studying a subject like medcine if you cant discern simple differences that any fishwife can wax lyrical about.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Nick, I was like erm, I'm pretty sure we have a very strong pre-clinical/clinical divide + compulsory intercalation unless it's changed overnight

Well being proud of your medical school is standard?

ReputationRep:
    That is BS.

Absolute bs. Can't believe a word of that story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harribot)
    That is BS.

Absolute bs. Can't believe a word of that story.
    Denial?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford / Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I still believe that once you're at medical school, the rest is largely up to you and how much effort you put in... and that determines how good a doctor you'll make, as subjective as that is, at the other end. You can do as well as you want anywhere if you put the effort in, though it might be easier some places than others depending on what suits you as a person.

As for people asking which medical school this is, well, I wouldn't want to know personally. It's not good to stereotype an entire medical school on the basis of 4 students.
    good point, in that, above all it would make me very critically question the person who was the source of the story, and what their motive was, before i judged the supposedly guilty 'Leicester/UEA/HullandYork Four'.

after all, they've not simply discussed this 'incident' amongst friends (which would be the normal response). They've gone out of their way to write a detailed post on a very public forum, set up a polarised argument about it, and then cleverly disclaimed themselves from the argument completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    Oxford / Bristol
    Don't think we overlap with Bristol (at Swindon, conceivably)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    Don't think we overlap with Bristol (at Swindon, conceivably)?
    Yeah we do or did - some friends definitely had Bristol medics in their firms. (& some stories to tell... )
    Oxford also share with Imperial (Reading), Leicester/Warwick (Northampton) and Liverpool (Alder Hey), AFAIK.

But just as a general POI. Too tired to get involved in the argument of this thread! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Curiosity killed the cat
    Satisfaction brought it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    But just as a general POI. Too tired to get involved in the argument of this thread! :p:
    As a Real Doctor I expect you to be far too busy\important to get involved in any threads now! Hope it's going well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.