Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    she will be a fine doc. and if the cap dont fit, then theres always car valeting, 'ughie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    she will be a fine doc. and if the cap dont fit, then theres always car valeting, 'ughie.
    Car valeting? Oh no, the yearbook had me as a domestic goddess in the alternate universe!

Very tempting after starting on long days as trauma bleep/evening on-call & being post-take tomorrow... but I do like the patients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Satisfaction brought it back.
    Have you read a certain book? :ninja:

Or just know it as a general phrase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Have you read a certain book? :ninja:

Or just know it as a general phrase?
    Eh, I've read it and I've heard it. By book you don't mean book, do you?

ReputationRep:
    If he did mention the names I bet that other university would get an increased application influx becaused based on the posts in this thread, why would you go to a stressful course like Oxford when you could go to this other university and pass finals so easily and pad up what you've learnt with your own research to get on par with other more in-depth med schools? That would be my approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    If he did mention the names I bet that other university would get an increased application influx becaused based on the posts in this thread, why would you go to a stressful course like Oxford when you could go to this other university and pass finals so easily and pad up what you've learnt with your own research to get on par with other more in-depth med schools? That would be my approach
    Haha! That's one of the most sensible posts I've seen in this thread.

However, you have to remember that, essentially, all medical courses are difficult, they just have different emphasis: some will suit great scientists, some will suit great communicators and some will suit great piss artists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Haha! That's one of the most sensible posts I've seen in this thread.

However, you have to remember that, essentially, all medical courses are difficult, they just have different emphasis: some will suit great scientists, some will suit great communicators and some will suit great piss artists.
    LOL, I can pee two streams voluntarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Flight)
    Hi, I'm new here,but been lurking for a while. I just wanted to share something I found interesting.

I go to an old-fashioned and well respected medical school, but this is irrelevant. I know no student is limited by their medical school, and judging ability from someone's medical is not only unfair, but ignorant.

Still, I am wondering if the disparity between medical courses is increasing, and I wonder if in 10 years the medical school that someone attended to is going to matter more than it does now (which is very very little).

My university taught a very scientific preclinical, and whilst I enjoyed the work, I did not, and frankly still don't, accept that it was entirely worthwhile, the amount of depth we went into. HOWEVER, now I am in clinical school, I am seeing discrepencies which I do think are important.

A few months ago I was on a paediatrics attachment in a DGH, which accepted students from my medical school and one other. I go to a med school with obligatory intercalation, and so whilst we were all the same age, the students from the other med school were about to do their finals. I expected them to wash the floor with us, possibly in their knownledge, but also their clinical skills and examination.

I couldn't believe how different we were - my peers and I were revising for academic exams, pathology. The students from the other university didn't have to sit any pathology exams we were told - we went to haematology teaching together and they admitted their medical school didn't teach haematology. We went to cardiology teaching and they didn't know how to read an ECG. We went to a neuro meeting and they could not name one brain tumour. We found this a little surprising, but I suppose it's not that important, I guess, as long as you learn it for MCRP/FRCS, but boy I feel I've got an advantage going into that exam, now!

Still, what shocked me the most was their clinical experience - I sometimes get annoyed with my course for being very academic, and wonder if students are other medical schools get a better 'feel' for things. These students, however, admitted to me that they'd only heard 1, maybe 2, heart murmurs, EACH. In their 3 years of clinical (probably more I guess, with some schools introducing early patient contact). How can they be about to become doctors if they've never heard the difference between mitral regurge and aortic stenosis? They also all knew they would pass finals, they said. Nobody really failed. They accepted they were all lazy, and missed half their attachments, but everyone did.

The reason I'm making this post, however, is because the doctors knew. The doctors didn't want to kick up a ****-storm, the students didn't really deserve an arse kicking, it was their education. But the doctors knew their was a huge disparity in our abilities, and were, frankly, a little bit rude to the other students behind their backs. I know that if any of those doctors are future employers they WOULD pick people from my school over theirs.

One can argue that one can learn these things on the job, but you can only extend that so far. You can't learn the entire of medicine on the job - what's the point in medical school?

Now I'm not being ignorant there - that medical school will have some ****-hot students who will be better medics than 85% of my school, but I know at my med school, those 4 students I met would fail, and I think some doctors are realising there is an increasing ability gap, and in the future we will see increasing snobbery. I mean the differences in MRCP pass rates between universities are fairly large.

I'm not sure this is right - I wouldn't want to be judged on my medical school had I not got an offer from the one I went to - but I, unfortunately, think we might be.

You are going to be a nice doctor, especially from oxbridge. The medics from oxbridge in my experience, the ones I have come across a pretty much on the snobbish side

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure it can't be bristol since they do a pretty comprehensive (8 week long pathology course) and if anything do too much haematology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I've come across a certain amount of snobbery towards my medical school, though I think it's more due to stereotypes than outright snobbery. Some doctors have been extremely rude about our course and spend time talking about it's downfalls rather than teaching us as they were supposed to. Others have been very impressed by our knowledge as they consider us people who could offer patients a pillow and a cup of tea but know no science (maybe that's because they have low expectations :p:). We do come across consultants who expect us to know things we haven't yet been taught, mainly because they think that because we're doing hospital placements and have already done all the preclinical stuff. I personally carry a notebook with me and write down anything I don't know/understand to read around later.

To the person who suggested UEA as being the other medical school - I doubt it as UEA students study haematology in 2nd year and learn how to read ECGs during this year as well (being tested in them quite often in the end of year OSCEs).

The thing to remember I think is that each medical school will contain a wide range of different students with different attitudes to work. Just within my PBL group this year there was a wide range of attitudes, from the people who turned up to no lectures or seminars, handed in shoddy work to the group and had a fairly low level of knowledge to those who were incredibly well organised, always where they were supposed to be and produced a high standard of work (and of course all the variants in between). It's the first group that are more likely to stick in people's minds for the wrong reason and could be the sort of people that Sebastian Flight met, where others in the medical school might be more like the 2nd group.

This is of course all just my own thoughts on the matter based on my own experiences and it's entirely possible there isn't quite the range of attitudes in other medical schools as I've seen at my own.
    i'm not at med school, just applying but my Gp told me that if she were to retrain she would choose Uea for it's teaching methods and others in the surgery also have said that they have been impressed with the quality of the people coming from UEA. They see a lot because I live near norwich. So some doctors oviously value the UEA course as a good course and that was my main reason for applying there. Also, at the paget shadowing I sat in on one of the second year sessions on haemotology (in particular sickle cell) and they all came prepared and were able to come up with the vast majority of what the doctors taking the session wanted so I agree that it prob isn't UEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Flight)
    I don't want to scare applicants
    you can rest in the knowledge that you haven't.

ReputationRep:
    medical education is made of so many different departments and faculties, that for anyone to propose that aggregate teaching is better at one place than another is to miss the point. That point is that you can't quantify an aggregate for all those faculties.
    anyone who finks they can is either stoopid, or selling somefing.
    equally someone claiming there can never, as a point of principle, be any differences in overall teaching quality between universities could well have ulterior motives. but just because such a thing is hard to quantify doesn't mean it necessarily doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley90)
    LOL, I can pee two streams voluntarily.
    I genuinely LOL'd at this.

Hello medical people btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    You are going to be a nice doctor, especially from oxbridge. The medics from oxbridge in my experience, the ones I have come across a pretty much on the snobbish side
    oxbridge isnt an inherently snobby set of two places. i agree its clients are passively filtered from wealthierareas of the country, but its not fair to call someone who is perhaps better off than you a snob.

whilst the OP was obvious a snob (and i have to admit some of the **** he/she wrote is so badly wrong), theres no need to tar all with the same brush.

clearly you've not met 'ughie and elle from this forum, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    equally someone claiming there can never, as a point of principle, be any differences in overall teaching quality between universities could well have ulterior motives. but just because such a thing is hard to quantify doesn't mean it necessarily doesn't exist.

hey, thisimycatch, you dont need to point out obviousstuff, there arent any 10 year olds reading this, macca.

ReputationRep:
    hey, thisimycatch, you dont need to point out obviousstuff, there arent any 10 year olds reading this, macca.
    obvious stuff like "people being different"? just following your lead. so do you think medical schools do have different quality levels of teaching then? or do all the different styles and subjects cancel each other out exactly

ReputationRep:
    obvious stuff like "people being different"? just follwing your lead
    well, i said that different departments within unis have different strengths. This m,enas you can pick them to suit your own individual strengths, desires, needs. in my definition, people are individuals.

you are clearly talking about a summation of every department meaning some institutions are better for everyone, so everyone would want that place. in your world every individual wants the same thing from their med school. they all arent you.

so in effect you are travelling in the opposite direction to my line of thought, but thanks for the comment.

so do you think medical schools do have different quality levels of teaching then? or do all the different styles and subjects cancel each other out exactly
    i can c that you clearly want me to think that.

but can u tell me why would you want me to think that?

ReputationRep:
    well, i said that different departments within unis have different strengths. This m,enas you can pick them to suit your own individual strengths, desires, needs. in my definition, people are individuals.

you are clearly talking about a summation of every department meaning some institutions are better for everyone, so everyone would want that place. in your world every individual wants the same thing from their med school. they all arent you.

so in effect you are travelling in the opposite direction to my line of thought, but thanks for the comment.
    so your opinion is that you can't say that any medical school is better than any other because people are different? that is a bit of a faith position isn't it? you are assuming that everyone manages to fit their learning style to the university's teaching style. even assuming you're right, what if one university's style is suited to hardly anybody?

i can c that you clearly want me to think that.

but can u tell me why would you want me to think that?
    i'm more interested in why you claim to believe what you say you believe, the actual content i couldn't care less about one way or the other. the fact that someone would deny there is no way at all to compare teaching quality is interesting.

ReputationRep:
    so your opinion is that you can't say that any medical school is better than any other because people are different? that is a bit of a faith position isn't it? you are assuming that everyone manages to fit their learning style to the university's teaching style.
    yes, its clear that you want me to believe that.
    i must ask you again, becos you didnt answer when i asked previously, why do you want me to believe this thing thats come from YOUR mind, not mine.

what if one university's style is suited to hardly anybody?
    ok i c you are exploring alternative realities here. very Pullman. what if the moon was made of cheese? Well, show me where the cheese is on the moon, andi'll show you a medical school that suits no one. good luck, mate.

i'm more interested in why you claim to believe what you say you believe, the actual content i couldn't care less about one way or the other. the fact that someone would deny there is no way at all to compare teaching quality is interesting.
    i'd say that you are more interested in telling me what i am supposed to believe according to your appraisal, and then asking me why i believe it. Exhuming McCarthy?

you seem to be in a twist there.

ReputationRep:

i must ask you again, becos you didnt answer when i asked previously, why do you want me to believe that?
    i did answer. i don't care what you believe. i'm interested in your reasoning behind justifying it.

ok i c you are exploring alternative realities here. what if the moon was made of cheese.
    Show me where the cheese is on the moon, andi'll show you a medical school that suits no one.

good luck, mate.
    i didn't say "no one". where's your evidence that all medical schools are exactly equivalent in terms of quality? what has made you believe this, or is it just an assumption? that's the claim you seem to be making, or at least you're certainly doing your best to avoid saying that there are any differences in overall teaching quality.

maybe we'd better start smaller. do you think people can be good teachers or bad teachers? as individuals.

i'd say that you are more interested in telling me what i am supposed to believe that i dont, and then asking me i believe it.

you seem to be in a twist there.
    sure you can say that if you like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.