Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm 19 and bought the Clinique 3 step solution from Boots for £50 a while ago. They did a skin test for me (which I came out as dry combination) and sold me the products.
    I've used it all up now (it lasted me ages though!) and I think it improved the condition of my skin a lot, but I have heard that it's aimed at people older than me- could this mean it would damage my skin? I noticed that the toner stung a little but the Clinique counter said that was normal. Does anyone know about this? I'm asking as I am planning on getting it again so any info on this or about other products you think work better would be valuable.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people say the toners from clinique are really harsh on their skin, but if you got on well with it then I can't see a problem? Some of my friends have used it and said it's the only thing that worked on them but like I say other people say it has the opposite effect.

As you have tried it and it worked surely that's a sign to carry on using it if you want to?

ReputationRep:
    Just use what works for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the replies (I've only just checked) .
    I was just a bit worried because of hearing it could damage younger skin, but it seems to work fine on me so I'm going to buy it again .

ReputationRep:
    It won't damage younger skin. My mum has used it since her 20s and she has amazing skin for someone nearly in their 50s. I've used it since I was about 14 too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemz87)
    It won't damage younger skin. My mum has used it since her 20s and she has amazing skin for someone nearly in their 50s. I've used it since I was about 14 too.
    Oh thankyou!
    I got a flier the other day saying they're giving away a free summer pack with purchases so I'm waiting until that to get it

ReputationRep:
    I've been warned off Clinique by my makeup artist tutor at college. She told us that she can tell just by looking at someone that they use Clinique. According to her expertise, Clinique are a brand to avoid.

Oh, and NO toner should sting. Why would you willing put something on to your skin if you knew it stung? Imagine what that's doing to your skin if it hurts you. Christ.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sting on me. If it did I wouldn't use it. I've recently been using a Kiehl's toner that I've found really harsh - stings a bit and makes skin feel really tight afterwards. Yeuch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I've been warned off Clinique by my makeup artist tutor at college. She told us that she can tell just by looking at someone that they use Clinique. According to her expertise, Clinique are a brand to avoid.

Oh, and NO toner should sting. Why would you willing put something on to your skin if you knew it stung? Imagine what that's doing to your skin if it hurts you. Christ.
    It was only a slight sting, and they said it was the feel of the toner working. I'm not an 'expert' on these things so I don't know, which is why I was asking..
    Why did she say Clinique was to be avoided?
    What skincare products would you reccomend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Doesn't sting on me. If it did I wouldn't use it. I've recently been using a Kiehl's toner that I've found really harsh - stings a bit and makes skin feel really tight afterwards. Yeuch.
    It only stung a teeny bit, but afterwords my face felt really clean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky1990)
    It was only a slight sting, and they said it was the feel of the toner working. I'm not an 'expert' on these things so I don't know, which is why I was asking..
    Why did she say Clinique was to be avoided?
    What skincare products would you reccomend?
    Clinique is full to the brim of chemicals. You won't find many natural ingredients in them.

If something stings and makes your face feel 'clean' then it sounds to me like it's stripping the skin of all it's good oils. An astringent shouldn't be that forceful unless you are very very oily and are acne prone. Even then, stinging is not a good sign.

I personally love Liz Earle products. I use their Cleanse and Polish hot cloth with the cleanser and the toner and moisturiser they're all stunning. They make my skin feel wonderful. And.... no stinging! lol.
    They do different ranges for skin types, so it's always worth looking into. Liz Earle's very popular with the professionals.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Liz Earle is GREAT too and it's more affordable than Clinique. My only problem with it is that it seems to take a really long time to do anything to my skin (although it does work eventually)

Tempted to try that Liz Earle stuff, but I don't want to break out like I have done with this sanctuary facial wash.

ReputationRep:
    Clinique is full to the brim of chemicals. You won't find many natural ingredients in them.

If something stings and makes your face feel 'clean' then it sounds to me like it's stripping the skin of all it's good oils. An astringent shouldn't be that forceful unless you are very very oily and are acne prone. Even then, stinging is not a good sign.

I personally love Liz Earle products. I use their Cleanse and Polish hot cloth with the cleanser and the toner and moisturiser they're all stunning. They make my skin feel wonderful. And.... no stinging! lol.
    They do different ranges for skin types, so it's always worth looking into. Liz Earle's very popular with the professionals.
    Ah right, I was wondering weather it was doing that. I didn't know they used chemicals! I assumed they didn't because of it being alergy tested (Which shows how much I know lol).
    I will look into the Liz Earle products, they sound good. Thankyou!
    (Original post by Angelil)
    :ditto: Liz Earle is GREAT too and it's more affordable than Clinique. My only problem with it is that it seems to take a really long time to do anything to my skin (although it does work eventually)
    Even better (about the price)!
    I'm glad you told me that, I tend to expect results straight away so I'll know to wait now lol thank you!

ReputationRep:

What can she tell by looking at someones skin? I mean what are the signs that they use Clinique?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, the skin looks very aged and dry. Lifeless, not youthful or dewy but dull.

ReputationRep:
    Surely not the case if you have oily skin?
    I think I posted a picture on here somewhere of me at a time when I was using the Anti-Blemish Solutions and I don't think my skin looks that way at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd totally dispute that, my mum's skin isn't dry or lifeless or dull.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.