Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am a US citizen, and I have decided to go to SOAS for my undergraduate degree. However, to help put myself through uni I need to find a job. If I am granted a student visa, am I still able to work in the UK? What kind of papers/ qualifications do I need to have in order to do so? How do income taxes work if I am not a UK citizen? How can I obtain a national insurance number?

    I went to the US (California) on a one-year student visa and was not allowed to do any sort of work. I imagine similar rules apply t'other way round.

    You'll be best off just contacting the embassy about your circumstances.

    You need to prove you've been accepted into a university before they'll give you a visa, but I guess you already knew that.

    • CV Helper

    CV Helper
    You can do 20 hours of work during term-time, and as many as you want the rest of the time.


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.