Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok so im on my summer break after my first year of A-levels, im 17 and have never had a job in my life. Now i really need a part time job just working at a shop in the local shopping centre but EVERYONE is saying that they need someone with expeirnece, as they say its 'essential' but i don't have any! i'm fairly intellegent and have some common sense lol and got 5 a* 5 a and 3b's at gcse so i have skills...why wont anyone recruit me?

Please give me some tips, should i call ppl? etc...what qualities should i put down - covering letter etc...or just some really good 'get-a-job-now!' secrets!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try somewhere smaller like a local cafe or shop/newsagent to build up experience as most the bigger chains although they will give you training they will want someone who has basic understanding of working.

ReputationRep:
    just lie about your experience say you have worked in a family member's shop or cafe whatever and then put your parents number down as a reference and use another name... i mean who is ever going to find out?

Its only a problem if your going for a really competitive job with a high salary..

ReputationRep:
    I job my first got in a fast food place with zero experience. After that I got another and I dunno' if my previous experience played a part. My latest one the previous two probably did.

Having experience is just a CV filler really and it helps secure you an interview. The interview is what actually matters. Having said that, in my latest interview I got asked some really tough questions and had it not been for my previous job it would have been harder to ******** my way through it.

That's all an interview is - ************ your way through it.

ReputationRep:
    lolok thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    A good start would be to work at a charity shop, you most likely won't get paid, but if you do it for a few months, you get experience in retail, references, and it shows something about your character too, willing to work for something other than money.

ReputationRep:
    check jobcentre website, go for cafe work, waiting tables etc... go in person around places asking for work. I admit, its tough
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by RevisingHard)
    got 5 a* 5 a and 3b's at gcse so i have skills...why wont anyone recruit me? Please give me some tips, should i call ppl? etc...what qualities should i put down - covering letter etc...or just some really good 'get-a-job-now!' secrets!
    Thanks
    Exams are rarely that important to part time/temporary employers. You need to prove that you have relevant skills, so customer service, answering questions, talking to people, handling money, working in a team etc You can get these skills and experiences from a lot more than work, so consider school, clubs, societies, cadets, music etc,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Exams are rarely that important to part time/temporary employers. You need to prove that you have relevant skills, so customer service, answering questions, talking to people, handling money, working in a team etc You can get these skills and experiences from a lot more than work, so consider school, clubs, societies, cadets, music etc,
    Thankyou soo much and weveryone else - great tips, thanks~!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    A good start would be to work at a charity shop, you most likely won't get paid, but if you do it for a few months, you get experience in retail, references, and it shows something about your character too, willing to work for something other than money.
    Your a genius! and from sheffield too! so do you think i should apply for oxfam in town? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RevisingHard)
    Your a genius! and from sheffield too! so do you think i should apply for oxfam in town? thanks
    Hiya, sorry didn't reply sooner, was on holiday :cool: Yeah apply to any charity shop really, some may not need any new staff but I think there would be a lot that could do with the extra helpers. :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.