Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok so im on my summer break after my first year of A-levels, im 17 and have never had a job in my life. Now i really need a part time job just working at a shop in the local shopping centre but EVERYONE is saying that they need someone with expeirnece, as they say its 'essential' but i don't have any! i'm fairly intellegent and have some common sense lol and got 5 a* 5 a and 3b's at gcse so i have skills...why wont anyone recruit me?

Please give me some tips, should i call ppl? etc...what qualities should i put down - covering letter etc...or just some really good 'get-a-job-now!' secrets!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try somewhere smaller like a local cafe or shop/newsagent to build up experience as most the bigger chains although they will give you training they will want someone who has basic understanding of working.

ReputationRep:
    just lie about your experience say you have worked in a family member's shop or cafe whatever and then put your parents number down as a reference and use another name... i mean who is ever going to find out?

Its only a problem if your going for a really competitive job with a high salary..

ReputationRep:
    I job my first got in a fast food place with zero experience. After that I got another and I dunno' if my previous experience played a part. My latest one the previous two probably did.

Having experience is just a CV filler really and it helps secure you an interview. The interview is what actually matters. Having said that, in my latest interview I got asked some really tough questions and had it not been for my previous job it would have been harder to ******** my way through it.

That's all an interview is - ************ your way through it.

ReputationRep:
    lolok thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    A good start would be to work at a charity shop, you most likely won't get paid, but if you do it for a few months, you get experience in retail, references, and it shows something about your character too, willing to work for something other than money.

ReputationRep:
    check jobcentre website, go for cafe work, waiting tables etc... go in person around places asking for work. I admit, its tough
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by RevisingHard)
    got 5 a* 5 a and 3b's at gcse so i have skills...why wont anyone recruit me? Please give me some tips, should i call ppl? etc...what qualities should i put down - covering letter etc...or just some really good 'get-a-job-now!' secrets!
    Thanks
    Exams are rarely that important to part time/temporary employers. You need to prove that you have relevant skills, so customer service, answering questions, talking to people, handling money, working in a team etc You can get these skills and experiences from a lot more than work, so consider school, clubs, societies, cadets, music etc,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Exams are rarely that important to part time/temporary employers. You need to prove that you have relevant skills, so customer service, answering questions, talking to people, handling money, working in a team etc You can get these skills and experiences from a lot more than work, so consider school, clubs, societies, cadets, music etc,
    Thankyou soo much and weveryone else - great tips, thanks~!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    A good start would be to work at a charity shop, you most likely won't get paid, but if you do it for a few months, you get experience in retail, references, and it shows something about your character too, willing to work for something other than money.
    Your a genius! and from sheffield too! so do you think i should apply for oxfam in town? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RevisingHard)
    Your a genius! and from sheffield too! so do you think i should apply for oxfam in town? thanks
    Hiya, sorry didn't reply sooner, was on holiday :cool: Yeah apply to any charity shop really, some may not need any new staff but I think there would be a lot that could do with the extra helpers. :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.