The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

very very very unlikely. that leaves no room for human error...
aishams
i thought it was just a set number of marks/percentage you needed regardless of which questions you got right or wrong. but yeh you would probably need to get most of the C/D questions right in order to get a certain percentage in the whole paper for an A/A*

Well that was certainly the case when I did GCSE maths, I can't see why they'd make such a weird change to it tbh.
Reply 22
aishams
My maths teacher said that all the teachers at our school, including himself atttended a conference from the Edexcel exam board where they were explicitly told that students could no longer achieve A's or A*'s in their gcse maths (with edexcel) if they did not get all of the C/D grade questions right, even if they achieved 80%/90% (whatever the boundaries are for an A/A*) in the exam papers.

This was apparently because too many colleges were complaining that students did not know the basics (C/D grade work). A fellow member of my class asked what if you get one C/D grade question wrong, or if you make a silly mistake can you still not get an A/A*, and to this, my teacher replied that it shouldnt really matter and this may be overlooked.

For some reason, I didnt really believe him, but then again, I dont think he would say that just to scare us for whatever reason.

Has anybody else been told this? Im quite worried because although i felt the maths exam went really well, I feel as though i may have made some mistakes in the papers (possibly in the C/D grade questions)

Is this true?

WTH!
Nope. I've never heard of such a thing.
It's about the total you get, not what questions you answer.
I think you teacher was trying to freak you out.
It doesn't make sense to me at all :rolleyes:
Reply 23
aishams
My maths teacher said that all the teachers at our school, including himself atttended a conference from the Edexcel exam board where they were explicitly told that students could no longer achieve A's or A*'s in their gcse maths (with edexcel) if they did not get all of the C/D grade questions right, even if they achieved 80%/90% (whatever the boundaries are for an A/A*) in the exam papers.

This was apparently because too many colleges were complaining that students did not know the basics (C/D grade work). A fellow member of my class asked what if you get one C/D grade question wrong, or if you make a silly mistake can you still not get an A/A*, and to this, my teacher replied that it shouldnt really matter and this may be overlooked.

For some reason, I didnt really believe him, but then again, I dont think he would say that just to scare us for whatever reason.

Has anybody else been told this? Im quite worried because although i felt the maths exam went really well, I feel as though i may have made some mistakes in the papers (possibly in the C/D grade questions)

Is this true?

You wouldn't be able to get 80/90% without getting the majority of the C/D questions right anyway. Imagine how much extra work that would give the exam board! Totally not going to happen.
aishams
1) just because you know how to answer A/A* questions it doesnt mean you cant slip on a C/D grade question

No, part of being an A* student is being able to answer the really easy stuff. You shouldn't be slipping on it.
Granted mistakes can be made, but with the way GCSE maths is marked you'll probably still only drop one mark or maybe two with the way "error carried forward" works.
Reply 25
Hedgeman49
No, part of being an A* student is being able to answer the really easy stuff. You shouldn't be slipping on it.
Granted mistakes can be made, but with the way GCSE maths is marked you'll probably still only drop one mark or maybe two with the way "error carried forward" works.

see number 2

2) everybody makes mistakes
Reply 26
aishams
i thought it was just a set number of marks/percentage you needed regardless of which questions you got right or wrong. but yeh you would probably need to get most of the C/D questions right in order to get a certain percentage in the whole paper for an A/A*

Makes sense :rolleyes:
aishams

It is grade boundaries but i was told that in order to even get a B, you needed to of got the majority of the first questions right, then the harder A/A* questions made up the rest of the marks for the top grades.

Your original post is a bit confusing imo as its obvious there's no way in hell you can get A/A* alone without getting the C/D questions right anyway!
Hedgeman49

Yes, you should be able to do the easy stuff. That is why, if you can't do ANY C/D stuff, you'll lose so many marks, you couldn't get an A anyway. That is the point of the grading system. If you have weaknesses, you won't get enough marks for the top grades.

However, this "new" system the OP describes is unfair in that if you make stupid mistakes, you are effectively penalised twice. Instead of just being penalised for losing marks, you are also penalised AGAIN for "not being able to do the easy stuff".
I must be good at maths then. :dunce:
Reply 30
It's not even 80% for a grade A, it's lower!

I personally don't think it's true, if you're really that scared call up edexcel themseleves and ask. :smile:
Reply 31
That sounds so dumb, it's probably a lie.
aishams
see number 2

2) everybody makes mistakes

Yeah... I did see number 2, and explained how my argument is still valid.
Reply 33
So even if you round up a C grade question slightly wrong, you automatically get a B.

No way.

They would of told students this before.
aishams

Is this true?

I doubt it's true. Check the edexcel website. If they haven't said anything about it, it won't be true
That's complete ********.

That's not how it works. You don't get penalised for getting a C question wrong; you just don't get full marks for that question. (You may get one or two marks for working out etc etc).

Nope, it's just wrong. Just wrong.

The flaw being: say if you answered all the questions right apart from one C question worth two marks. In theory you would've have gotten an A* as you only made one slip up. But the fact you slipped up at a C question, what grade do you get? A? B? C? D? No. In theory it's wrong, and common sense will tell you it's wrong.

Don't worry about it.
Reply 36
Someone should ask Mr M to prove it is bull****.
roosel4
Someone should ask Mr M to prove it is bull****.

:ditto: Now that is a good idea. We can settle this matter once and for all.
Reply 38
Probally not true, seeing as most of the grades rely on the UMS score you achieve per paper and not the overall grade per paper. It is possible to loose the A* grade by getting some C questions wrong but thats because the UMS mark may slip.
Hedgeman49
If you're on track for an A* then you have no excuse for getting C/D questions wrong in the first place, so why worry?

dude, if that were the case a lot of people including me would be scoring a lot higher in exams than at the moment,

silly mistakes make you want to hang yourself

Latest