Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel maths - nobody can get an A/A* even if 90% ++ attained in exam Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    dude, if that were the case a lot of people including me would be scoring a lot higher in exams than at the moment,

silly mistakes make you want to hang yourself
    This.

Everyone does it, and we kick ourselves afterwards, but thats the way of life.

Maybe its the pressure of being in an exam room.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No this rumour is complete and utter rubbish.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishams)
    My maths teacher said that all the teachers at our school, including himself atttended a conference from the Edexcel exam board where they were explicitly told that students could no longer achieve A's or A*'s in their gcse maths (with edexcel) if they did not get all of the C/D grade questions right, even if they achieved 80%/90% (whatever the boundaries are for an A/A*) in the exam papers.

This was apparently because too many colleges were complaining that students did not know the basics (C/D grade work). A fellow member of my class asked what if you get one C/D grade question wrong, or if you make a silly mistake can you still not get an A/A*, and to this, my teacher replied that it shouldnt really matter and this may be overlooked.

For some reason, I didnt really believe him, but then again, I dont think he would say that just to scare us for whatever reason.

Has anybody else been told this? Im quite worried because although i felt the maths exam went really well, I feel as though i may have made some mistakes in the papers (possibly in the C/D grade questions)

Is this true?
    That's EXTREMELY lame if it's true, and I bloody well hope not as I know I completely dicked up a rotation question just with a stupid mistake, I know how to rotate a shape for gods sakes, just the mood took me into thinking that anticlockwise was right. Grumble.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT THE ****
    stfu am i gunna' follow that rubbish when i do ma' exam next year

ReputationRep:
    The grade boundaries for an A* are crazily high. On my tests 49-50/50 was one (edexcel modular), so if you messed up a whole C/D question you probably wouldn't get one.

(Original post by Skye333)
    The grade boundaries for an A* are crazily high. On my tests 49-50/50 was one (edexcel modular), so if you messed up a whole C/D question you probably wouldn't get one.
    :eyeball: Really? Apparently, they're quite low for an A*. Can anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    In the past there were 3 levels of papers; Foundation, Intermediate and Higher. There were very few C/D level questions on the old Higher papers. Able candidates tended to focus their revision on B/A/A* topics.

There are now only 2 levels of entry. There are therefore far more C level questions on the Higher paper. If candidates don't revise C/D level topics or are sloppy in their work and fail to get the marks available for those easier questions then they probably won't be able to get enough marks from the more difficult questions to achieve an A*.

There is no requirement to get all the C/D stuff right, but if you get a lot of it wrong you probably won't get enough marks for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishams)
    My maths teacher said that all the teachers at our school, including himself atttended a conference from the Edexcel exam board where they were explicitly told that students could no longer achieve A's or A*'s in their gcse maths (with edexcel) if they did not get all of the C/D grade questions right, even if they achieved 80%/90% (whatever the boundaries are for an A/A*) in the exam papers.

This was apparently because too many colleges were complaining that students did not know the basics (C/D grade work). A fellow member of my class asked what if you get one C/D grade question wrong, or if you make a silly mistake can you still not get an A/A*, and to this, my teacher replied that it shouldnt really matter and this may be overlooked.

For some reason, I didnt really believe him, but then again, I dont think he would say that just to scare us for whatever reason.

Has anybody else been told this? Im quite worried because although i felt the maths exam went really well, I feel as though i may have made some mistakes in the papers (possibly in the C/D grade questions)

Is this true?
    Sounds like utter nonsense to me. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty certain that's not true.

They understand that in the nervous state some students are that they will make silly mistakes on easier questions, then having calmed will do better on the harder questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :eyeball: Really? Apparently, they're quite low for an A*. Can anyone confirm this?
    Are ou maybe doing a different course to me, like linear? I'm doing the higher edexcel modular, so we've had 3 different tests.

ReputationRep:
    No they're not. They're probably 75-80%.
    Edexcel math GCSE is not hard, the paper i did for my GCSE was a complete joke.

EDIT: I see you're not doing linear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    No they're not. They're probably 75-80%.
    Edexcel math GCSE is not hard, the paper i did for my GCSE was a complete joke.

EDIT: I see you're not doing linear
    Well I really hope there not , I badly want an A

Are ou maybe doing a different course to me, like linear? I'm doing the higher edexcel modular, so we've had 3 different tests.
    Oh right! Sorry, never noticed... So I guess linear and modular have different grade boundaries then?

ReputationRep:
    I done modular and yeah it's something like 90% for A* in the first 2 units, no statistics on the Terminal papers in June cause class of 09 was the first year to sit the Terminal papers so no boundaries for previous years are present.

ReputationRep:
    That's the most retarded thing I've heard. What if you get all of the A* questions right and score over the A* boundary? Does that not qualify you for an A*?

If this new scoring policy is true, it's absolutely outrageous and whoever came up with it is out of his/her mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    If this new scoring policy is true, it's absolutely outrageous and whoever came up with it is out of his/her mind.
    Well it isn't true so you don't need to be outraged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Well it isn't true so you don't need to be outraged.
    Ah ok. Good to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Oh right! Sorry, never noticed... So I guess linear and modular have different grade boundaries then?
    You get one from each exam board, and maybe one with all results on, if you school has bothered.

I got one randomly last year for just my edexcel unit 2 , but anyway maybe it's useful, I uploaded photos.

The front: (sorry 'bout the finger - covering name)
    Name:  142548.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  59.4 KB

The back: (has mark scheme and says what different symbols mean)
    Name:  142632.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  58.9 KB

They don't say my actual grade on this, but I'm sure the final one would. But 40/60 = C , retake and 48/60 = A (the very boundry!) for me.

*54/60 is an A*, but that's been rounded - the paper was only 36 or something, so you could only miss 1/2 marks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No - that can NOT be true :/ If so that's barbaric. You receive marks and a percentage.. if that's the case then 1% of the country will achieve the grades or something which can't happen because the government will be all WTH is happening hence they do the whole "wait until everyone gets their results then give the grade boundaries" thing...

ReputationRep:
    Noo i havent been told this don't worry! But it isn't about just getting the A* questions right in order to get a top grade it's about getting as many questions right as possible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.