Turn on thread page Beta

cannot help thinking i should have done a more vocational course watch

ReputationRep:
    sometimes i think i should have applied for something like accounting or nursing because then you train for a job, you actually learn useful skills your gonna use in a career. it should help motivate you to do well.

but, like alot of people, im just doing a random course and it worries me. the stuff i will learn i dont think will be useful in a new job and i have 3 years of worrying about what job ill get and low confidence that i wont think im capable of jobs because i havent really learned any real skills. :/

i know its gonna be hard to get a job as it is, but at least you have qualifications for a well paid job if you do something like accounting.

anyone feel like this?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get some work experience, internships in career areas you're interested.

Other than that, whatever course you do, you learn a lot of transitional skills, like team work, problem solving, presenting an idea, making a strong argument, ... lots of that is helpful in a future job, and if you are good at your chosen course, get some work experience, you can get into graduate schemes that teach you what is required then. You can also always do a master afterwards to focus more in your chosen area or do something completely different.

Basically, study something that you really enjoy and like, get involved in a few extra curricular activities, and get work experience in areas you think you might want to work in after graduating.

ReputationRep:
    unis always say you learn skills but i dont think you learn anymore skills than you do in school...im not really interested in doing a job related to my course though so dk if i could get internships..i just chose it cuz i was reasonbly good at it and its kinda interesting but the system usually saps any interest out of anything so..i dont know, i didnt know what else to do really and i did it for alevel

ReputationRep:
    You are a lost person then, get some counselling, and I'm serious here.

If you think uni is such a waste of time and the wrong system anyway, hell, why are you even going? Heard of apprenticeships? That's what you should look into.

First, what career are you actually envisage you doing? and then second, what course are you on?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.