Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marriage - yay or nay? Watch

• View Poll Results: DO YOU BELIEVE IN MARRIAGE?
    no
    31.51%
    yes
    68.49%

ReputationRep:
    Following on from the popular 'getting married young' thread.

Do you 'believe' in marriage? (regardless of other factors eg age/feelings etc). Do you think it's a worthy and good institution or pointless and no longer valid in modern society?

Poll and post your reasons

ReputationRep:
    It's a Chrisitan ceremony; I am not a Christian so I will not, therefore, partake.

ReputationRep:
    A'yuh when your older like mid 30's maybe. Wouldnt want to get married while im young people change could become a a different persom within a 10 year time span.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in marriage.

But it requires both parties to work at it.

And to work at it through the hard times and the good.

Every marriage starts off with good intentions, feeling that it's going to last forever. It's after the years start to pass and you go through bad times that the marriage is tested. If one person crumbles, then the whole thing falls apart.

To cut it short - yes, I believe in marriage as an institution. I just, sometimes, don't believe in people anymore.

ReputationRep:
    i believe in marriage because for me to say i will marry someone, for me it means that i cant imagine life without them and expect to spend the rest of my life with them. id have to live with someone for a long while first, but i dont think marriage is neccesary, just a symbol of my feelings / commitment to someone, or their commitment to me
    but if people dont want to get married then fair enough, tho i think i would like to when im older, say 10 years time or more (im 18 atm) also, id rather be married before having children, but if it doesnt happen that way, then as long as im happy it doesnt really matter

ReputationRep:
    Yay. But not for religious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I'm for it but it's not my sole life's purpose to get married. I think its a good thing only if you've found a person you really want to spend your life with and vice versa. I can't stand it when some people see 'marriage' as something that HAS to be done - regardless of who you do it with. that's just a lost concept on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GazzyG)
    To cut it short - yes, I believe in marriage as an institution. I just, sometimes, don't believe in people anymore.
    Sadly, this is pretty much it

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in marriage as a social and political institution, however I believe in monogamous long-term commitment. I think over the decades and centuries it has become obvious that the two are not well linked. There is no point in getting married , just to have a 50% likelihood of getting a divorce. I think marriage puts pressure on people to commit and that's a turn off, especially if people are not sure about what they're doing.

In an attempt to fix and defy the perverted past of marriage as a form of social manipulation, financial manipulation and political manipulation as well as religious manipulation I am against marriage. It simply is unnecessary. The long term commitment agreement between two people is nothing but their own decision and business. Society stay out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I think in modern times that most people don't think the way they used to. Most people I've ever known just see a relationship as a short term/changeable thing and don't want any long term commitment. They're just out for themselves really. Hopefully, I'll eventually meet the right girl someday.

ReputationRep:
    naa, most marriages end in divorce, besides i do not believe in love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    naa, most marriages end in divorce, besides i do not believe in love
    I take it you mean romantic love, not love in general?

ReputationRep:
    Yay to the wedding day and happy married life, ney to the divorce stuff...

ReputationRep:
    yes hopefully get married within the next year
    wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    No I think getting married is a waste of money and if you truly love someone a bit of paper wont prove it. I will never get married because it is just another way to become a bitter old housewife and I want to keep my independance and not become someones property.

ReputationRep:
    I voted yes.

I love the idea of marriage. To me it is not to do with God, or anything religious (unless the people in question are religious of course!), but it is committing to each other... sort of officially! And I think that sharing it with friends and family is about bringing people together which is lovely.

As someone said earlier, a lot of people are in relationships for short-term flings which they just enjoy for the time being. I think finding the right person and deciding you want to marry them is a way of saying that you are going to be together for life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mts786)
    yes hopefully get married within the next year
    wish me luck
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I voted yes.

I love the idea of marriage. To me it is not to do with God, or anything religious (unless the people in question are religious of course!), but it is committing to each other... sort of officially! And I think that sharing it with friends and family is about bringing people together which is lovely.

As someone said earlier, a lot of people are in relationships for short-term flings which they just enjoy for the time being. I think finding the right person and deciding you want to marry them is a way of saying that you are going to be together for life
    yup exactly
    BUT ppl shud remember that relationships arent easy theres always obstacles you have to get over and work them out .... PrincessAriadne knows what im on bout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    I take it you mean romantic love, not love in general?
    i mean love in general, either loving your gf or loving your family, i dont believe in any form of love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mts786)
    yup exactly
    BUT ppl shud remember that relationships arent easy theres always obstacles you have to get over and work them out .... PrincessAriadne knows what im on bout
    I absolutely agree. Problems aren't there to trip you up they're to make you put in the effort and work for success :p:

Happiness doesn't come for free!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.