Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Meeting someone from the internet for sex. Watch

ReputationRep:
    That's how people get murdered!

ReputationRep:
    It's your decision whatever the situation.

But do you know this person properly? How do you know you weren't sent a fake photo? Do you trust them?
    But make sure you meet in a public place first, so you can hopefully suss out if there's anything dodgy. Chances are, it's fine!
    If you have sex...be safe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    They might have seen eachother on webcam or something.
    Still not so safe though really, thing is though about a club normally people get very drunk then have sex. This girl set out, found a guy to have sex with, over the internet. If she was my friend I'd be seriously worried for her....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    Still not so safe though really, thing is though about a club normally people get very drunk then have sex. This girl set out, found a guy to have sex with, over the internet. If she was my friend I'd be seriously worried for her....
    It isn't totally safe no, but neither is going home with a guy when you are drunk, or even going home with a guy when you are sober. Either way you are letting yourself be alone with an effective stranger.

Why would you be worried for her? Because you think it is risky to be alone with strangers or because you think it is deviant and wrong to want to meet up with someone just for sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Just go to a club, wear some revealing clothes, and you'll have the boys on you before you can say "I want to get laid"
    This is far safer, obviously.

You are possibly the dumbest person I have encountered on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    the randomer in the club could be a serial murderer though. Just because you know what someone looks like, doesn't mean you know anything about them.

As I said, at least with something like this you won't be drunk, so you'd have more of a chance of defending / helping yourself if it does go wrong.

Same goes to Catatonic Stupor.
    Exactly... I never said to sleep with a guy at the club or a guy over the internet.

It is desperate though, seeking someone over the internet to sleep with, find someone not on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly... I never said to sleep with a guy at the club or a guy over the internet.

It is desperate though, seeking someone over the internet to sleep with, find someone not on the internet.
    I still don't understand why it is more desperate to go looking for someone to sleep with on the internet than it is to go looking for someone to sleep with in real life. Both ways you are actively looking for a sexual partner, just using different methods.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see how it is any different to going to a club with the intend to pull someone (which a lot of people do every week in cities all over the country).
    Looking for sex is looking for sex, no matter where you are looking for it, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    This is far safer, obviously.

You are possibly the dumbest person I have encountered on here.
    It's safer because you know who you're speaking to. On the internet, people can fake who they are.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't totally safe no, but neither is going home with a guy when you are drunk, or even going home with a guy when you are sober. Either way you are letting yourself be alone with an effective stranger.

Why would you be worried for her? Because you think it is risky to be alone with strangers or because you think it is deviant and wrong to want to meet up with someone just for sex?

40 year old pedophile alert. I would be worried for her because who the hell looks for sex over the internet? People that don't get any?

ReputationRep:
    It's safer because you know who you're speaking to. On the internet, people can fake who they are.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    It's safer because you know who you're speaking to.
    Exactly!

No you don't though.
    You'll know what the person looks like, but that's it. And if you're off your face and go back to theirs, your opening yourself up to a lot of danger, without having the ability to help yourself in a dangerous situation.

Just because you know what someone looks like, does make you any more safer being alone with them.

Granted if you pull someone in a club you can gauge their age, but if your meeting someone from the internet, just meet in a public place and you can do the same thing.

40 year old pedophile alert. I would be worried for her because who the hell looks for sex over the internet? People that don't get any?
    Going by this thread, clearly some people do.
    Or perhaps they just met randomly, and weren't specifically looking for sex when they met? Who's to say.

ReputationRep:
    You know nothing about a person that you meet at a club, that you couldn't learn from 2 seconds on a webcam. You will actually know a clubber far less well than anyone who agrees to meet up with you, and the chances are good that at least one of you is drinking - and therefore likely to act irrationally. A person in a club can spring a trap just as easily as someone you meet in a public place who you first spoke to online. Again, you're a dolt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    No you don't though.
    You'll know what the person looks like, but that's it. And if you're off your face and go back to theirs, your opening yourself up to a lot of danger, without having the ability to help yourself in a dangerous situation.

Just because you know what someone looks like, does make you any more safer being alone with them.

Granted if you pull someone in a club you can gauge their age, but if your meeting someone from the internet, just meet in a public place and you can do the same thing.
    Moral of the story is don't get drunk and have sex with strangers.. and if you are desperate for sex from a person you met on the internet, meet in a public place? Or risk it.

ReputationRep:
    According to the match.com adverts a ******* lot of people :p:

I've never done it personally, when I was single I already had mates/exes I could ring if I was feeling horny. I can see the benefits though. There is less choice in a club and sex is generally **** when you are drunk anyway. You can get laid at a time thats convenient to you haha.

From what the OP is saying it doesn't seem like she just wants casual sex anyway, she has spoken to him and got to know him and likes him. Just because you are typing a conversation doesn't mean it doesn't count. She can still have feelings for the guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    You know nothing about a person that you meet at a club, that you couldn't learn from 2 seconds on a webcam. You will actually know a clubber far less well than anyone who agrees to meet up with you, and the chances are good that at least one of you is drinking - and therefore likely to act irrationally. A person in a club can spring a trap just as easily as someone you meet in a public place who you first spoke to online. Again, you're a dolt.
    This.

I know there's no way we can find out, but I'd be willing to bet more people get assaulted by someone after a night out rather than meeting someone they know online.

Moral of the story is don't get drunk and have sex with strangers.. and if you are desperate for sex from a person you met on the internet, meet in a public place? Or risk it.
    I'm not saying that.
    I'm just saying I don't see the difference between this and going off to have sex with someone you've met in a club.

Both ways you're opening yourself up to a bit of a risk.
    Only difference is one is socially acceptable, and the other isn't.
    I have no problem with either.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd probably do it, but that doesn't mean you should. Ask them for a phone number and to meet in a public place which you can see from a distance. Then, phone the number, so that you can both hear and see them but where it's not obvious who you are. An example would be in a shopping centre - ask to meet at the outside tables of a cafe and then look down from the upper level.

This way, you can decide if they look dodgy or not! It's still not 100% safe at all, but better than just meeting them at you house. And never give your address away until you're sure you're comfortable with them.

ReputationRep:
    According to the match.com adverts a ******* lot of people :p:

I've never done it personally, when I was single I already had mates/exes I could ring if I was feeling horny. I can see the benefits though. There is less choice in a club and sex is generally **** when you are drunk anyway. You can get laid at a time thats convenient to you haha.

From what the OP is saying it doesn't seem like she just wants casual sex anyway, she has spoken to him and got to know him and likes him. Just because you are typing a conversation doesn't mean it doesn't count. She can still have feelings for the guy.
    LOL ! I hear those adverts make up their need for more men..then more women, they suck people in

And yeah fair enough, good luck to her, hope it does all go to plan

ReputationRep:
    How is it the same as prostitution at all?
    It is just like shagging some randomer from a club, apart from hes some randomer off the internet.
    Think he's just trying to get across that people on the internet are not always as they appear, in real life (whereas in a club you can try before you buy). Take yourself for example, any photo you post on your profile is likely to be very complementary, not always an accurate picture of how you'd look in real life though.. that will depend a little on the amount of makeup you decide to put on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    Think he's just trying to get across that people on the internet are not always as they appear, in real life (whereas in a club you can try before you buy). Take yourself for example, any photo you post on your profile is likely to be very complementary, not always an accurate picture of how you'd look in real life though.. that will depend a little on the amount of makeup you decide to put on.
    ...that doesn't really explain the prostitution comment.

Bugger off about my photo! :p:
    It is what I look like when I have all my makeup done true, but I'd be all done up if you saw me in a club anyway.

Also I think people would probably chat on webcam before they met as well as sending photos.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.