Turn on thread page Beta

best books for civil service fast stream preparation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend any good books for civil service fast stream preparation?

I often find many of the numerical ones are really easy and not indicators of the real thing!

Does anyone know anything about this: http://www.civilserviceprep.co.uk/Pu...l_pkg_csp.aspx

ReputationRep:
    If you want to waste money then go for it, but if its actually for you then you won't need it.

ReputationRep:
    The £47 includes "5 timed-practice Royal Navy Entrance Tests"!!!!! Which jumps out at the reader as saying "we realised that copying and pasting a few numerical and verbal reasoning tests from across the web wasn't really worth £40 so in desperation we looked for anything else we could find and this is all we could come up with"

If there was some kind of value in this, they would have a separate selection of tailored tests for each programme but they don't.

Numerical tests without much effort can be the easiest tests for everyone. It's all about frequent practice to get mental arithmetic going again like it did when you were 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotik)
    Does anyone know anything about this: http://www.civilserviceprep.co.uk/Pu...l_pkg_csp.aspx

I used it last year, and found it quite useful in helping to get my brain working once more. The format of the tests are 'close' to the 'real thing', and the e-tray exercises are the closest to the 'real thing' that I've seen.

Saying all that last year I fell at the e-tray stage, whilst the year before when I'd done no preperation whatsoever I fell at the FSAC stage with a score of 15...

I shall probably see if I've got any time left on my sub and use the tests to re-initialise my brain leading up to reapplying this year. Its been sixteen years since I was the top of my 2nd from top maths class, and I've forgotten how to do a heck of a lot. Heck I didn't even know then, I used to figure out the formulas that I'd need during the actual exams...

ReputationRep:
    does this recreate any of the assesment centre tests? and how does the money back guarantee work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherno_samba)
    does this recreate any of the assesment centre tests? and how does the money back guarantee work?

The Faststream tests recreate the online tests, obviously the tests that you then have to repeat at the e-tray exercise, and it recreates the e-tray exercise.

As to how the refund works. I have no idea as some of the other tests may have or may be useful for general practice, especially for non-faststream positions. There are quite a few tests on there, but of course I have no idea how frequently they alter their questions, and obviously the site isn't as advanced as those of actual test centre companies what generate tests from a central question bank, etc...

Basically the reason that I went for it was for the e-tray practice more than anything else, and I couldn't be bothered to work through the practice tests in all the books that I've got. Since its all done on computers anyway, I thought it easiest to replicate this by trying to do online practice tests as much as possible. Also they're just easier to do, and when you buy a package thing like this at least they let you know which answers you got wrong and why.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.