Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking My Dog To Uni :D Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I GO uni I have no idea what i will do with my mini yorkie. I have no family to look after her and I am even consider sneaking her with me...

Please help

ReputationRep:
    Not a good idea and, unless you own your own home or intend on living with a friend who does, it will be next to impossible to find accommodation that will allow it I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    When I GO uni I have no idea what i will do with my mini yorkie. I have no family to look after her and I am even consider sneaking her with me..
    If you're gonna live in student halls, you're gonna get kicked out. If you're gonna rent a room, I'd advise you to start looking for it right now, as there are very few landlords who actually allow you to have pets, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt many halls of residences would allow dogs.

As long as she doesn't bark, is well behaved, doesn't malt and doesn't leave a doggy smell...I suppose you could sneak her in. Smuggle her out for walks and things...

The halls of residence have to inform every resident 24 hours prior to any inspection, so during this time you could hide any trace of dog, and take her out with you that day.

Still, it is a bit risky. Try getting private accommodation...?

ReputationRep:
    You could rent kenels but that would be expensive. You will probably have to part with it. Put and add in the paper? That way you can be sure of the home its going to.
    Taking it to halls/ rented house could get you kicked out, and a dog at a student party is never going to go down well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    As long as she doesn't bark, is well behaved, doesn't malt and doesn't leave a doggy smell...I suppose you could sneak her in. Smuggle her out for walks and things...
    c'mon, get real. Even if she had a mute dog, it would be borderline impossible to hide a dog in your room for 10 months or so. Even if they have to let you know 24h in advance, that kind of life would be literally just a nightmare to go through, and I'm pretty sure she'd have had enough of it after 2 or 3 weeks, let alone a whole term :eek:

Best to try and get private accommodation, but as I said - from my own experience I know that very few landlords actually are OK with animals at their homes, unless they're live-in landlords with animals of their own :yep:

ReputationRep:
    WAY too risky. It's one thing to hide a small pet like a hamster or mouse, but a dog that needs to go outside regularly?! Nigh on impossible.

Rooms in halls are notoriously small, you won't be able to keep the dog in there all day. Taking the dog out at least twice a day for walks etc. without anyone noticing is pretty difficult. Even if staff don't find out, it's bound to spread quickly in student gossip. All it takes is a member of staff to overhear or for someone with a grudge against you to snitch and you're in big trouble. And if you have cleaners in your room, then you'll have to make sure there isn't any evidence every week! Walls in halls are really thin too, chances of the dog not barking once in a whole year are pretty small.

It's really not fair on the dog. The 24H rule is pretty negligible. You're at your most vulnerable when you're taking the dog outside. Wouldn't take much for a member of staff to take note of the patterns in when you leave with the dog and stop you for a 'conversation'. If the dog was in a bag or whatever it'd be fairly easy for the staff to find the dog.

And besides, if staff do find out about the dog, there is a chance they'd call RSPCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    When I GO uni I have no idea what i will do with my mini yorkie. I have no family to look after her and I am even consider sneaking her with me...

Please help
    Any friends you could give her too, so you know she's being looked after and you can come visit her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    c'mon, get real. Even if she had a mute dog, it would be borderline impossible to hide a dog in your room for 10 months or so. Even if they have to let you know 24h in advance, that kind of life would be literally just a nightmare to go through, and I'm pretty sure she'd have had enough of it after 2 or 3 weeks, let alone a whole term :eek:

Best to try and get private accommodation, but as I said - from my own experience I know that very few landlords actually are OK with animals at their homes, unless they're live-in landlords with animals of their own :yep:
    It would be stressful, yeah...but I couldn't bear to give away my little dog I'd rather go through the stress of it lol.

And I just said that cos quite a few people I know have various drugs in their rooms, and if there's an inspected they just offload it somewhere beforehand.

Still, drugs aren't really the same as a dog, I know, I just know how the OP feels!!

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to leave it in your room when you have lectures, or whenever you want to go out with your friends. It's hardly fair. And there's no way you could keep it hidden for long. Sorry

Don't bring him into halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    It would be stressful, yeah...but I couldn't bear to give away my little dog I'd rather go through the stress of it lol
    I know what you feel, I felt the same with my late cat when I left the country and came here, to the UK. He's been with me since I was less than 4 years old, he's been almost 17 when I left the country, passed away half a year later. So yeah, it's been tough, I mean, losing a part of your life that's been there always, and it's always, as far back as you can remember, just like mum and dad and so on. I think that's why it struck me so hard, I just didn't know any other life without him

But you just need to look at the realities - there are a lot of people in the halls, students are really gossipy so if you had a dog it's 100% sure that people would talk about that, a staff member would overhear and you're basically screwed. Dog is an animal that cannot stay at home for the whole time (unlike a cat), let alone in a small, student room at halls. It just won't work out, bottom end a dog would suffer much more in a small room 24/7 (well - almost), than with somebody else who has not been its owner before, IMO.

At the end of the day, it's always good to give the private accommodation a shot. Just good to try, maybe it works out? I can't imagine sneaking out with a dog twice a day, where would you walk it? You'd have to take trips twice a day at least 1km away from the campus to be at least a bit sure you're not gonna meet anyone that could snitch (there's never 100% guarantee, though). Seriously - however cruel it might be, it could be better to just leave it with some friends, rent a kennel/pet hotel or look for private accommodation. The latter is gonna be extremely hard, as landlords are generally not very keen on renting out to pet owners, let alone pet owner students (probably every landlord's nightmare ), but I'm not saying it's impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be fair on you or the dog.

Is there a friend who could look after it during term time? If not, then I'd really recommend giving it up, RSPCA or dog adoption - other people probably know more about how to go about this than I do. But seriously, it would be an incredibly bad idea to bring it with you.

ReputationRep:
    looooool at people taking the "leave it in a park" so seriously. lighten up!

ReputationRep:
    1) No university halls will let you have pets, and if they do, then it's unlikely to be more than a goldfish.
    2) It's cruel
    3) Don't be silly.

I'd phone the RSPCA and see what they advise you to do. Ok, I wouldn't like to give up my cats, but if it's a choice between them and making sure I have somewhere to live...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryvision)
    looooool at people taking the "leave it in a park" so seriously. lighten up!
    LMFAO @ the people who are so humourless and dull that they completely missed the joke behind leaving it in the park.

Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    dont be silly

just give the rspca call or leave it in a park somewhere
    This from the man who says A levels aren't important.
    Do you just want attention?

ReputationRep:
    Take it from me you will not be able to sneak him in and out. You will 100% get caught. When I was forced into that kind of housing I had to give away 2 dogs. Battersea Dogs Home........

It will be hard but you gotta do it

ReputationRep:
    private accommadtion is your best choice and ive never had a problem finding a place that allows dogs. good luck

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the tool suggesting you could hide a dog in halls for a year and smuggle it out for walks. Didn't realise dogs these days fitted in your pocket!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.