The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Couldn't you rent a flat/house (non student) for time you are at uni? They are more likely to let you have pets. Otherwise any friends/family/neighbours that could look after it?
Reply 21
I have a similar situation. I have a small pug who needs about 15-20 mins walking a day, other than that he's happy to sleep or sniff the day away. By the time I got to college he would be over 8 years old and I would never forgive myself if I just sold him off at that age.

If I go to college will I be able to walk him 15-20mins a day around campus or are there faculty walking around the place? He sleeps around 13 - 16 hours a day (i know:rolleyes: ) I figure I would have time to chill in my dorm with him for at least a few hours a day and he's used to being alone for a few hours anyway.

I would appreciate any opinions on whether this would be possible. My parents never really wanted him and said they don't want the hassle of dog and all my reliable mates are going to uni so I really don't know what to do.:frown:
Reply 22
Felix994
I have a similar situation. I have a small pug who needs about 15-20 mins walking a day, other than that he's happy to sleep or sniff the day away. By the time I got to college he would be over 8 years old and I would never forgive myself if I just sold him off at that age.

If I go to college will I be able to walk him 15-20mins a day around campus or are there faculty walking around the place? He sleeps around 13 - 16 hours a day (i know:rolleyes: ) I figure I would have time to chill in my dorm with him for at least a few hours a day and he's used to being alone for a few hours anyway.

I would appreciate any opinions on whether this would be possible. My parents never really wanted him and said they don't want the hassle of dog and all my reliable mates are going to uni so I really don't know what to do.:frown:

They will not allow your dog to stay in halls. If a staff member caught him in your room you could be suspended. Also it's not really very relistic for you to walk your dog on campus for 15-20 mins without someone seeing you, you will have to walk him of campus somewhere depending which uni you are going to depends weather there is a field around etc.
Couldn't you put him in kennels term time? You could go visit if it was local to your uni.
You could rent a flat/house that allowed dogs to stay, this proberbly won't be student housing, but do some reasearch your may be lucky.
Otherwise try and persuade your parents/friends/neighbours to look after him during the term.
Reply 23
animals
They will not allow your dog to stay in halls. If a staff member caught him in your room you could be suspended. Also it's not really very relistic for you to walk your dog on campus for 15-20 mins without someone seeing you, you will have to walk him of campus somewhere depending which uni you are going to depends weather there is a field around etc.
Couldn't you put him in kennels term time? You could go visit if it was local to your uni.
You could rent a flat/house that allowed dogs to stay, this proberbly won't be student housing, but do some reasearch your may be lucky.
Otherwise try and persuade your parents/friends/neighbours to look after him during the term.

I guess your right, it depends on whether the uni is an urban area or a rural area and if theirs a park nearby. Chances are I'll probably have to beg my rents to look after him during term and if they still said no they'd probably agree to helping me pay for a kennel during term.

Thanks for the advice. Will rep as soon as I can.
The only thing you can do is go for private rent, if no the kindest thing would be to get in contact with a animal rescure centre/RSPCA because they can ensure the dog gets a good home.
Reply 25
Be very careful! Pets can get you into serious trouble!!! Like so... :eek3:
If you love your companion animal that much look for private landlords that will allow you keep a pet, they're not as rare as people like to make out. Also you could get a pet sitter who will look after your animal for you whilst you're away at university and allow you to take them back during the holidays and after uni, if you privately advertise on gumtree or something similar I can assure you that you'll find someone. My friend Maxine and her family looks after peoples rabbits, guinea pigs and cats if they're going away to uni or if they're leaving the country for 2 months or more with work/business and offers this service for just the cost of the food and any vet bills that are required. There are kind and compassionate animal people out there, you just need to seek them out.

The final alternative is to consider permanent resettlement although I understand this would be difficult and you probably already know the route of this and how to go about it.

I would not recommend taking anything bigger than a dwarf rabbit/guinea pig to university halls.
Reply 27
Please if you are going to put a dog or any animal into rescue do NOT use the RSPCA, sadly they are known for having a high kill rate.
the discussion is 10 years old

Latest