Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a mature student I guess (age 21) and I want to complete both AS/A2 in Maths/Biology/Chemistry in a Year.

From what I understand I can enter as a Private Candidate at a center supported by whichever Examining Board or go to a private 6th form college, have an interview there so they are confident I can cope with the work and pass the Exams.

I would prefer entering as a Private Candidate, but I know for some subjects such as Biology where practicals and coursework are involved that it would be difficult to do as you need experience with practical equipment.

What I'm asking for is if anyone has any advice for someone looking to do Intensive A levels in a year?

ReputationRep:
    Where do you live??

The Abbey Colleges are awesome - not too sure where they all are, know that there is one in Birmingham, Cambridge, Manchester and i think 2 in London.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do biology and chemistry, it's not quite so simple as doing most other subjects ...
    You know the practical bits, which you've identified as a potential difficulty ... they actually have to be marked by someone ... a teacher at the centre, probably ...

I guess that my advice would be to choose your centre carefully, and to be very polite to them too!!

ReputationRep:
    I live in London, does anyone know how I go about finding centers that allow you to enter as a private candidate?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inflameftw)
    I live in London, does anyone know how I go about finding centers that allow you to enter as a private candidate?
    To do the sciences you will have to be registered at a college/school because you will need to taught for the coursework aspects etc.

As i say, the Abbey Colleges are definitely worth a look at - i think their main speciality is science because they are renowned for getting people into the medical/dentistry professions.
    However, there should be loads of other places in London - ring round a few schools and also ring the exam boards themselves, they are normally pretty useful, and also Learn Direct strangely enough are pretty good too!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a mature student I guess (age 21) and I want to complete both AS/A2 in Maths/Biology/Chemistry in a Year.

From what I understand I can enter as a Private Candidate at a center supported by whichever Examining Board or go to a private 6th form college, have an interview there so they are confident I can cope with the work and pass the Exams.

I would prefer entering as a Private Candidate, but I know for some subjects such as Biology where practicals and coursework are involved that it would be difficult to do as you need experience with practical equipment.

What I'm asking for is if anyone has any advice for someone looking to do Intensive A levels in a year?
    I realise you've probably already made up your mind about doing it in one year, but I'd highly advise against it. I've just finished my A2 year having done all three of those subjects. Maths may be a possibility to do in a year if you have a high affinity for numbers, but Biology and Chemistry I'd advise against doing in one year.
    I essentially did the Biology course in one year (I resat both exam papers for AS year in January, the third module was coursework), however the majority of my AS knowledge was from the AS year. I did get an A for both modules but I spent almost every hour outside of school doing work for it. I have to say that the time taken to do the AS resits impacted heavily on my A2 course. After the January exams I had a months respite and got to work on the A2 stuff heavily.
    Throughout all this my Chemistry A2 suffered and I felt I've done very badly in my exam, I answered few questions where I knew the answer for sure. If you do chemistry papers with a text you'll realise it is rather easy to know what they want as long as you have the knowledge.

Sorry for the long read but I felt it had to be said.
    Is there any reason why you must do them in 1 year?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the responses everyone.

As for the reason I want to do Maths/Biology/Chemistry in a Year, it's simply because I feel like I've wasted too much of my life doing nothing. The reasoning behind this is somewhat personal but I really have nothing to live for at the moment and I just want to sacrifice this year to just get my A levels out the way.

For a little bit of a background check on myself, I did my GCSE's a while back and got the following:

Double Award Science: A* A*
    Maths: A
    English Lit: A
    English Lang: B
    French/Geog/DT/Music: All C's

ReputationRep:
    Campbell Harris is an exam centre in London and they accept everyone..

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the responses everyone.

As for the reason I want to do Maths/Biology/Chemistry in a Year, it's simply because I feel like I've wasted too much of my life doing nothing. The reasoning behind this is somewhat personal but I really have nothing to live for at the moment and I just want to sacrifice this year to just get my A levels out the way.

For a little bit of a background check on myself, I did my GCSE's a while back and got the following:

Double Award Science: A* A*
    Maths: A
    English Lit: A
    English Lang: B
    French/Geog/DT/Music: All C's
    I wouldn't see doing the course in 2 years would make it a waste. Infact it'd more likely be an investment over 1 year as you're giving yourself more time to study, so are more likely to get better grades.

Also, I'm assuming you're wanting to apply to university as well, doing the UCAS process will be even more difficult for you as references and predicted grades may not be accurate or even doable. You may have to apply again the year after doing your AS and A2 in which case you might as well do AS and A2 over two years and apply to UCAS with your AS grades and more reflective references.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I wouldn't see doing the course in 2 years would make it a waste. Infact it'd more likely be an investment over 1 year as you're giving yourself more time to study, so are more likely to get better grades.

Also, I'm assuming you're wanting to apply to university as well, doing the UCAS process will be even more difficult for you as references and predicted grades may not be accurate or even doable. You may have to apply again the year after doing your AS and A2 in which case you might as well do AS and A2 over two years and apply to UCAS with your AS grades and more reflective references.
    No they'll just predict grades based on the GCSEs, so should be no problem applying this year through UCAS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4_sophia)
    No they'll just predict grades based on the GCSEs, so should be no problem applying this year through UCAS...
    Yes, but Unis won't see any AS grades. The UCAS predicted grades are heavily based on AS grades or atleast at my Sixth Form they were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Yes, but Unis won't see any AS grades. The UCAS predicted grades are heavily based on AS grades or atleast at my Sixth Form they were.
    Yes, I understand what you're saying but the fact that you're a mature student will make a difference to the way they look at your application... They tend to accept predicted grades...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I understand what you're saying but the fact that you're a mature student will make a difference to the way they look at your application... They tend to accept predicted grades...
    Fair point, I didn't take ino account the mature student factor.
    I still stand by Biology and Chemistry being incredibly intense for a one year course. Have you looked into some course materials and exam papers?
    BTW I'm not sure about other Biology exam boards but AQA are extremly pedantic when it comes to answering exam questions.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with biology over 2 years, never mind about doing it in 1! I thought it was waaay harder than chemistry as well... which is completely opposite to most people I know... That's why I think if you're going to do it in 1 year you need to be at least in college part time... I did biology with AQA and the way the ask the questions is ridiculous... A lot of the time you have to take a wild guess at what you think they're asking!

Thing is though, if you're committed to doing A levels full time over a year though, it should be possible...
    I agree, but certain subjects require a very good knowledge of AS; e.g. chemistry. Also things like optical isomerism, rates of reaction, Arrhenius equations and the such like really need someone to explain it to you, I've yet to come across a text book which can explain it well.

I think to do two of the OP chosen subjects in one year is possible, but three really does take it up to another level.

Also OP I assumed you would be doing these full time, is that the case?

I totally agree Biology is so much harder than Chemistry, the sheer content of Biology put me in cardiac arrest.

ReputationRep:

Im mature student too, same age as you, and hoping to do Biology and Chemistry in one year as well at a FE state college in London (City of Westminster College). I think they are still accepting until September time.

I think enrolling at a college at least as a part-time learner would be better than being a private candidate coz the lab skills that you need to learn for units 3 and 6 can only be practised within classroom setting. Plus those units will be internally assessed so the better the teachers know you, the fairer the marks they give to your coursework.

Also, if you are enrolled at a college and planning to apply to university, your college teacher will automatically be your referee...unlike if you did it as a private candidate youll be forced to apply as an independent student and have to chase references from your old school teachers (which they really cant give you an accurate academic reference coz you left school years ago).

And you may have noticed that the legacy syllabus (old specficiation) for biology and chemistry is being scrapped and replaced with the new one (GCE 2008 New curriculum)...so having a college lecturer there will guide you even better coz there are new subtopics to be learned especially for chemistry unlike if you did it as a private candidate. :yes:

Im soo excited to enroll to college this 27th August arghh :woo:

You applying to uni next year? If so for which course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.