Turn on thread page Beta

University vs High School graduates: How they differe in the Working life? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well this is when we talk about in the working life, e.g when both of these two types of people are in offices or what not. It does not matter what post they are in but is there any significant differences on how they:
    -do their work
    -plan their work
    -solve a problem
    -think even?

is it that a University graduate will have a wider viewpoint on things rather than a High school graduate?

hope to have a good discussion

ReputationRep:
    one serves burgers, the other owns the company.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person, really. University typically acts as a fast-track to the higher jobs, but there's nothing stopping a non-university educated worker from rising to those jobs either.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by chidona)
    Depends on the person, really. University typically acts as a fast-track to the higher jobs, but there's nothing stopping a non-university educated worker from rising to those jobs either.
    Yeah, this. Well, in most cases. There are actually a lot of jobs that do require a degree.

ReputationRep:
    the OP means the same degree just one from a uni (Derby) and one from a fe college (painter college).

E.g BA (hons) Business
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Kane_Fizz)
    the OP means the same degree just one from a uni (Derby) and one from a fe college (painter college).

E.g BA (hons) Business
    What on earth gave you that idea?

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from a general retail/waitressing/bar point of view, whenever I've worked in an environment with both high-school leavers and grads/uni-students (not so much grads actually) I've always found:

* The leavers to be more productive, physically speaking. They get the job done, do it efficiently, get on with it. Dedicated to the job, willing to take extra shifts work longer hours.

* The students bit wishy-washy, but are good at decision making. Not always big on the common sense. And often they are not dedicated because they know they are going on to "better things" and funnily enough they're the ones most likely to miss shifts and quit.

I think this is why employers don't like to take on "over-qualified" students- not because they're too smart and won't fit in or whatever, just because they're not as interested in the job as a leaver.

Of course, I'm just speaking from my own experience and I know not every leaver/student fits my description. I would expect the situation is quite different in higher level jobs just for the pure reason that they're higher level and you have to be dedicated to get there in the first place, graduate or not.

EDIT: I've just read some of the other replies, have I misunderstood the question? :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.