Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Free" trips around the world for graduates, funded by the Government Watch

ReputationRep:
    Read here

Do you think this is a good idea? Why/not?

ReputationRep:
    id love to do it, but whether it would be beneficial or not i dont know...

ReputationRep:
    If the government really want to make graduates more employable then they'll have to target a few more than just 500 graduates...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a ridiculous, tbh.

What's wrong with unemployed graduates volunteering in England to gain extra skills?

ReputationRep:
    I thought, "where do I sign?", then read the story, and saw it involves helping people

ReputationRep:
    If they want to do this, great..but it should be with their own money. If the government was going to fund them for something, it should directly be helping this nation I think, like work within the NHS or something like that

ReputationRep:
    Waste of tax payers money, and it's only 500 graduates, it's hardly going to revive our economy...

Labour are getting desperate...

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, New Labour wasting more money we don't have on a completely worthless cause. Also, I find the fact it's only open to university graduates quite offensive. What about people who have completed apprenticeships or HNDs at the same level? Why is skilled work worth less than sitting in some ****** office dealing with beaurocracy?

The problem with this country is that for too long emphasis has been put in the "services" industry, (ie office jobs) which are at the end of the day worthless for the economy. A strong economy is an economy that manufactures things from raw materials and produces tangible goods and sells them to the world. Not wishy-washy ******* services.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea. It's not fair that better off graduates have an advatage in the jobs market because of experiences they can pay for.

From the story:
    But critics said that the scheme appeared to be a way of reducing graduate unemployment at a time when record numbers are remaining jobless for six months after leaving university.
    500 is hardly going to make a dent is it? Who are these 'critics' and why do they have to critisize everything?!

ReputationRep:
    They should provide more funding for volunteering in the UK or give similar expenses grants to those wanting to volunteer abroad. I'm not sure what it's like in the rest of Britain but maybe something along the lines of Project Scotland?

This whole scheme seems a bit pointless to me and I don't really think they should be marketing it as some kind of solution. Fair enough it is an opportunity but it's hardly going to boost the economy.

ReputationRep:
    Silly.

ReputationRep:
    It is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    If it takes 500 off the dole it will make economic sense.
    If they are usefully employed it makes social sense, both for the students, their social networks and the host community.

Any student facing unemployment should want to go!

I predict a riot.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea to be honest. Will save the government money, and help make the students more employable.

ReputationRep:
    So someone gets a £3000 experience free when I have to work my arse off for that money... well thats just great

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say no if I was offered it in all honesty

But in principle what's wrong with doing volunteer work in this country? Apart from nicer weather, and maybe experiencing a different culture, what will one really gain in some distant part of South America that they would not gain here. If we want to go and see the world, that's fair enough. We should just fund it ourselves or go and teach English abroad or something where we'd get paid.

I just don't see the value in it apart from having 500 less people on the dole register.

Instead of funding gap-years ( with the sole intention of making the Unemployment figures look better ), the Government would do much better if it spent the money providing proper grants and scrapping tuition fees.

obviously, being cheap myself, if i was going on a gap year and wanted to do the activities money is being given for, then i would take the money! doesn't mean im not against the idea

Yes its good idea only if they were funded to volunteer for british stuff and in the UK or for anything british or anyone british

This country is in the crap hole as well, always needing community police officers (even though they're useless) and similar things...

ReputationRep:
    For the Labour party to do something like this is against their core values.

ReputationRep:
    doubt that would happen

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.