Turn on thread page Beta

"Free" trips around the world for graduates, funded by the Government watch

ReputationRep:
    I think its a stupid idea. They say it would help poorer graduates, but they still have to find £1000 plus flights etc, and if they are unemployed where are they going to get that from? And even if it was fully funded, it would still be a rubbish idea, because people can build their leadership and teamwork skills by volunteering in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    What a bloody idiotic idea! The govt should be getting us out of the recession, not blowing it on graduate gap years! Furthermore, they can do all those developmental things here, why traipse half way across the world to show off your leadership skills?!

The bit that further annoyed me is:

He said that it was intended to help young people from poorer backgrounds, who are often unable to access the sort of travel and adventure projects which help their more well-to-do rivals improve their employability.
    The govt are making it extremely difficult on anyone who actually has money. They are the ones who get little/no grants, smaller loans, etc, and now they don't have the opportunity to travel the world, after. That's hardly fair!

And if you say that their parents will fund them, this isn't true for every well-off person. A lot of wealthy parents want their children to fund their selves through uni/life. These people are just as likely to be trying to get a job, but can't, so why should they suffer?

Gah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Oh dear, New Labour wasting more money we don't have on a completely worthless cause. Also, I find the fact it's only open to university graduates quite offensive. What about people who have completed apprenticeships or HNDs at the same level? Why is skilled work worth less than sitting in some ****** office dealing with beaurocracy?

The problem with this country is that for too long emphasis has been put in the "services" industry, (ie office jobs) which are at the end of the day worthless for the economy. A strong economy is an economy that manufactures things from raw materials and produces tangible goods and sells them to the world. Not wishy-washy ******* services.
    I was going to rep you for your first paragraph, which I completely agree with, until I then read the second paragraph, which is a load of rubbish.

The City of London makes millions and millions of pounds for this country - much much more than any manufacturing or agricultural industry makes. I'm not an expert on economics, but people do not appreciate the importance of the City to our economy, and it angers me. The City is the largest financial centre in Europe, and creates much more wealth than everything else in our country.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wow did this story piss me off!

I don't have wealthy parents and I couldn't afford to go travelling and do my volunteer stuff at the begining of my gap year, that's why I got a bottom of the food chain Mcjob and worked my backside off! If you have a degree you can't honestly tell me that there's absolutely no restaurant that would take you as a waiter or supermarket that would take you as a shelve stacker.

No of course its not glamorous or a fitting job for a graduate, but if you want to go travelling that's what you have to do, why the hell should my taxes pay for it? I already paid for my gap year expeditions!

ReputationRep:
    I'd much rather they paid for our actual education instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteM/)
    I'd much rather they paid for our actual education instead.
    I reckon you learn mor eabout yourself and the needs of people when you are out of your comfort zone.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.