Turn on thread page Beta

Is the US approach to dialogue with countries like NK/Iran/Cuba counter-productive? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see, the US's approach to the Iran/NK nuclear issue is simply going to make things worse. What Yank idiot ever thought that threatening and bullying countries into giving up their arms (or perceived ability to produce arms) and follow the American way is actually a good stratergy? It only makes these countries more determinded to show the the Yanks two fingers.

America also have an extremely hypocritical approach which I imagine gets most countries backs up. America approach dialogue about nuclear weapons and other such arms with the assumption that it is only possible to trust countries like the US and Israel with nukes, and that these two countries have the god given right to them, and that the US decideds who has arms and who doesn't.

The US currently wants Russia to reduce it's number of nuclear weapons, why does the US have any more right to nukes than Russia? What the **** is all that about? If I recall correctly, the only country which has ever used an atom bomb is the good ole USA. And I feel if another country they were at war with was getting the upper hand they would consider doing it again - they considered it in Vietnam.

Also, why does the US have the right to a missile defense system in Europe, yet, when Russia wanted to install a similar thing in Cuba the Yanks had a right hissy fit about it. The hypocrisy makes me blood boil.

I truly hope the "Axis of Evil" never gives in to the American imperialists who seek nothing more than a world that eats out of the hands of the Americans and do whatever they request. My goverment my suck up to the Americans, but why am I obliged to show any loyalty to the Yanks just because I am British? I am absolutlely nothing to do with America.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the USA's appeasement of the Mullah regime in Iran is at all productive, and in the long run will not work well.

The USA, whilst being tactful and respecting Iran's rights as a sovreign state (i.e. Iran regime change á la 1953 is not on, change comes from Iranians alone), but should still be able to call a spade a spade. The mullahs are fascist and undemocratic, last month's election was rigged. Obama's continued bleatings about his "concern for the situation" are just bull****. He needs to stop beating about the bush and say what he knows is right, even if it makes him unpopular with Iran's oligarchs.

I don't think America would have appeased the Nazis in the 1940s. I don't think the Iranian regime should have any respect from the USA. Note: Iranian regime, not the Iranian people. The US govt should as part of its agenda support the right of the Iranian people to democracy, freedom and liberty, but that does not mean it has to also cooperate with the dictators in power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    The US currently wants Russia to reduce it's number of nuclear weapons, why does the US have any more right to nukes than Russia? What the **** is all that about? If I recall correctly, the only country which has ever used an atom bomb is the good ole USA. And I feel if another country they were at war with was getting the upper hand they would consider doing it again - they considered it in Vietnam.
    Errrrrr
    Go listen to Obama's speech in Prague once again, tbh. The US isn't seeking for everyone but itself to abolish nuclear weapons, it's trying to get everyone to denuclearise. You're correct in stating that the US is trying to get Russia to reduce the number of nukes it has, but the US is bound by the same terms of the agreement.

Also, while the Obama administration has tried incredibly hard to open dialogue with rogue states like Iran and N.Korea, you have to understand that due to the history behind relations with those states and the US, there's always going to be resistance and mistrust on both sides.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.