Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BSM boss avoids car ban despite 17 points Watch

ReputationRep:
    Story HERE

Abu-Haris Shafi, the director of Britain's largest driving school, has avoided a car ban despite 'totting up' 17 points

I wonder if anyone else thinks he only got away with it because of his job title? If it was anyone else, would they have been banned?

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's because of his job. It's not without precedent either. If you can prove that you'd face severe hardship from being banned, courts may decide not to ban you. Equally they could've decided to give him an extra harsh ban to "send out a message". Whether you agree with it or not, that's how things work.

I notice that the article says that 6 of those points are for "declining to reveal who was driving". While in this case it is probably fairly safe to assume that it was him driving, it does anger me as it means perfectly innocent people may end up being given points, fines or bans.

ReputationRep:
    what a joke, shoot the judge.

ReputationRep:
    Completely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda ironic ain't it...

ReputationRep:
    whodda legend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlamCanyon)
    Completely ridiculous.
    (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drummer23)
    (Y)
    erm?

ReputationRep:
    Tap it into MSN

ReputationRep:
    Wtf

ReputationRep:
    of course its because of his job. Its a right joke. The judge needs shooting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlamCanyon)
    erm?
    ... io agree.

ReputationRep:
    "Katie Shephard, from Brake, the road safety charity, said: "The reality is that speed is a factor in most crashes, because the faster a vehicle goes, the less chance there is to avoid a hazard, the harder the vehicle hits and the more damage it causes.
    "As the boss of a major UK driving school, Shafi should be aware of the dangers of speeding and should be responsible for setting a good example to all young people learning to drive."

Shes an even bigger idiot than the judge. What a bunch of loony toons!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he probably dared to go a smidge over the speed limit and so totted up points. Whilst I agree that he was an idiot to get 17 points, what he did may not have posed any danger whatsoever (despite what the hysterical "speed kills" brigade would have you think).

I'm guessing the reality was a little something like this:

Some bloke strayed a little bit over an arbitrarily decided speed limit, which is deigned to be 'safe' by our illustrious leaders. The speed limit is conveniently divisible by ten, takes no account of driver skill, tyre pressures, tyre quality, tyre temperature, car type or prevailing weather conditions. Yet they seem to think that 33mph is dangerous whilst 30mph is safe? Please, we're sick of being patronised; it clearly is not the clear cut issue they would like it to be. All a ban would achieve is putting another person out of work. Thank goodness the magistrate used common sense.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I want to go with the 'speeding tickets are speeding tickets are rediculous' crew, and as much as I disagree with the limits and the way they are enforced, totting up 17 points in 2/3 years is unnaceptable, and must ahve taken some doing. at the end of the day the laws the law and I don't think the 'I need it for my job' side of things should apply or is a good example o set.. if you know you're almost at 12 points, you damn well make sure that you don't speed. it's not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    I totted up my points because of speeding and was facing a ban. I decided to plead my case as the one that took me over the points limit was very extenuating circumstances. And the speeding offence wasn't just a few mph over the limit either. I really didn't think I would be keeping my licence to be honest. I was looking at least a six month ban so I was told by the Police.

I got suited and booted and decided to appear in court and explained to the magistrates. Afterwards they had some kind of whispered discussion and then spoke to some guy who was sitting in the court. I have to say I was bricking it. My Dad had told me just to apologise and not to say anything else. I kept my licence but was given a much heavier fine and was told if I came before them again I would be disqualifyed for longer than I would have been this time.

So it does happen not just to big shots. As they have discretion.

ReputationRep:
    His argument was he needed his licence to be able to take his mum to the doctors :dry: Sounds like the judge was a sucker.

Leniency is fine, but i don't think they should be lenient to a guy with 17 points. Shouldn't he have lost it after 12 anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    His argument was he needed his licence to be able to take his mum to the doctors :dry: Sounds like the judge was a sucker.

Leniency is fine, but i don't think they should be lenient to a guy with 17 points. Shouldn't he have lost it after 12 anyway?
    He had 11 already and then this offence added 6 to that. So it took it past 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan12)
    He had 11 already and then this offence added 6 to that. So it took it past 12.
    Sorry, That's what i meant. I thought the rule was you lost it at 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    Sorry, That's what i meant. I thought the rule was you lost it at 12.
    Sorry, I thought you thought he was already over 12 before this offence :p: .

And yea, normally it is. He pleaded exceptional reasons why it would be too damaging for him to loose his licence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.