Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Welllllll post a lot, talk to someone throughout posts and PMs, switch to MSN maybe...that's how I made all mine!

ReputationRep:
    Join societies. Get talking. Then chances are you'll end up chatting more on MSN :dontknow:

Post around and people might PM you randomly. I've had some very nice chats with people who randomly PM me and things have gone from there.

I wouldn't say getting a sub is generally the way to get to know people on TSR, but if that's what you want to do then fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supergirl182)
    I find it odd how some of you members seem to be so close because I seem to be part of the community but don't seem to be making any specific friends, and don't really know how you guys manage to do it either :confused:
    Hmm why is that?? How do you guys make friends on TSR?
    Societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    And this is why you like me http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...es/awesome.gif

[/lies]
    Of course, cause you're quite an :awesome: person!

ReputationRep:
    Will anyone be my friend? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you're rather attractive, a profile picture goes a long way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Of course, cause you're quite an :awesome: person!
    :awesome: :five:

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, maybe you have to be hot?

I think you have to be cool or funny, you know the generic 'type'. If you are different then you have no hope. Like me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by so.simple)
    Will anyone be my friend? :hugs:
    Did that open the flood gates to loads of guys PMing you lol?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have any friends on here. A few people that I am acquainted with and have met via medicy stuff but thats about it.

I don't really use it to make friends though.

What a pointless post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    I haven't really made friends on here either, don't worry
    No, me neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunLady)
    No, me neither.
    Likewise

ReputationRep:
    Post in a certain thread a lot,(the ones in chat are good).Eventually, people will notice you, and you will start to get to know them better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMonarchist)
    No offence to the good people of TSR but aren´t real friends better?
    Yes, but ironically enough for me at least, pretty much all bar two or three of my friends that aren't either neighbours or through my wife are people that I first met online, most of them getting on eight or nine years ago now.

But then we all have the same hobby in question (table-top wargames), and its through various lists, forums etc... that we've 'met', and then arranged events to meet up to play our hobby, drink a few (well quite a few in fact) beers and generally chat about stuff. Heck I was doing so yesterday, and a very nice day and evening it was too...

As to becoming 'friends' with people on TSR, well I certainly wouldn't mind meeting up with some of the other people that frequent the Government and Civil Service Jobs sub-forum, as it was the Faststream thread that brought me here in the first instance. But probably no more than that, unless someone was looking for some baby-sitting work or something...

ReputationRep:
    What might be interesting is to start a thread whereby..TSR'ers write a little brief description about themselves like a 'love ad' in newspapers.
    If interested..people respond back...saying 'i would like to get to know you' etc
    :s unsure that would work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrustratedHistorian)
    What might be interesting is to start a thread whereby..TSR'ers write a little brief description about themselves like a 'love ad' in newspapers.
    If interested..people respond back...saying 'i would like to get to know you' etc
    :s unsure that would work
    Whats wrong with profiles for that? Girl's have pm'ed me after reading my profile. So i guess it does its job.

ReputationRep:
    Its all about the sig..

ReputationRep:
    OP I wouldn't really bother getting a sub, everyone already knows each other and although will make a polite effort, would normally much rather be talking to other people (in the shoutbox or various rather obscure/completely random backroom threads) than you :tongue: It's not a purposefully cold attitude at all, it's just people get set in their groups the same way they do IRL, and unless you make a significant first impression they see no real need to get to know you.

Basically either be hot, funny, or intelligent, and you'll fit right in I am none of these things, and so my presence goes unnoticed :ninja: I'm more of a lurker!

EDIT: I might set up some sort of soc called "I'm not a sub nor in the yellow gems but have over 2000 posts and want to make friends" - ooh it even rhymes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    Send them a message that says "ur hot". Worked for me.
    Ahh but you're Zapp Brannigan. It's different for you :p:

"I like your style Fry. You remind me of a young me; not much younger mind you..maybe even a couple of years older."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    OP I wouldn't really bother getting a sub, everyone already knows each other and although will make a polite effort, would normally much rather be talking to other people (in the shoutbox or various rather obscure/completely random backroom threads) than you :tongue: It's not a purposefully cold attitude at all, it's just people get set in their groups the same way they do in IRL, and unless you make a significant first impression they see no real need to get to know you.

Basically either be hot, funny, or intelligent, and you'll fit right in I am none of these things, and so my presence goes unnoticed :ninja: I'm more of a lurker!

EDIT: I might set up some sort of soc called "I'm not a sub nor in the yellow gems but have over 2000 posts and want to make friends" - ooh it even rhymes.
    Totally agree with the first point. If you think you'll meet people by getting a sub, think again. It's not that the sub's are mean, but they are their own group.

As for you claiming to be none of those things, leave that to other people to judge. I'm sure you rank better than you claim.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.