Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whats the best way to get them?

I know you can be limited/helped by your genes, but I still would like to know what I can do to get that extra width.

ReputationRep:
    Gain overall mass

ReputationRep:
    Muscle wise, bigger delts and lats.

Otherwise, longer clavicles and bigger rib cage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Gain overall mass
    Aye

yes side delts, but anyone who has impressive side delts

also has impressive shoulder complex in general, and wide back

ReputationRep:
    Specifically are there any exercises you can recommend?

(I'll eat big for sure now.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit of a novice so my opinion might not hold that much weight.
    However, I think good shoulder exercises are:
    - wide grip upright row (narrow grip is more traps focused)
    - dumbell lateral raises
    - dumbell shoulder press
    Bold Compounds ftw =]

ReputationRep:
    ^I do both lateral raises and shoulder press but progress is slower than I'd like. That said, I have made some progress so I guess I'd better keep plugging away.

I've never done an upright row before though, so I reckon I could add that to my armoury.

ReputationRep:
    Upright rows are sick:
    - Compound exercise
    - You look like a hench **** when you do them

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, I'll make sure I do them. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do hand-stand push-ups, with your legs up a wall, it took me a while to learn them, but now I do them with every work-out session.

The equal to a hand-stand push-up would be the military press. (performed with either dumbbells or a barbell)

Both of these work the posterior and anterior part of the deltoids, so you get nice symmetrical shoulders.

Other than that, benchpressing works out the anterior part of the deltoids, while dips works out the posterior part of the deltoids.

In my opinion, for a complete work-out program I generally recommend:
    * Benchpressing
    * Dips
    * Hand-stand push-ups (or military press)
    * Chin-ups and pull-ups (don't do the machine equivalent)
    * Squats

These are essentials, and really all you need, you can always add all kinds of fancy exercises onto that.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Get your lazy arse in the pool, forget benchpressing and all that

ReputationRep:
    you want them! i have them and hate them

ReputationRep:
    I have broad shoulders naturally, twice I've had comments about how broad shoulders I have, and once a lecturer asked me if I worked out

So I'm guessing a lot of it is about genes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EDCE88)
    I have broad shoulders naturally, twice I've had comments about how broad shoulders I have, and once a lecturer asked me if I worked out

So I'm guessing a lot of it is about genes
    Same. I'd say a major factor is genes aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Dammit, my genes! Because nowadays clothes hide a lot of muscles, people judge your strength superficially on your frame - and my frame is small. Then again, I don't really help myself as for most of my life I have not eaten much. But Im eating more nowadays and hopefully I've still got a few more years to grow.

Oh, and thanks The Yield *****.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is full of fail.

Lets make things real simple, big shoulders = big overhead either by big weight or big volume if your more a bodybuilder.

Press overhead and forget homo upright rows

ReputationRep:
    The simple way to develop breadth in your upper body with solid compound exercises is overhead press for the shoulders and chin ups for the lats. But really there's no reason to make these exercises a particular focus compared to the other important lifts - lift big and eat big and you'll start to fill out overall which is going to benefit you if you've got a narrow frame.

You'll certainly be limited by having a narrow frame, but I have a narrow frame and having seen some pictures of me from about a year and a half ago I think I look substantially broader now, even if I'm not very broad compared to some.

ReputationRep:
    ^Would you mind showing them to me, in a PM if you want?

Im just curious to see how much of an improvement is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivisteiner)
    ^Would you mind showing them to me, in a PM if you want?

Im just curious to see how much of an improvement is possible.
    I don't have any up to date pictures since I rarely take any and don't have a camera at the moment, but here's one that gives you an idea from easter. I'm bigger now and there's still tons of room to get bigger, but this is probably something easily obtainable for someone with a naturally narrow frame.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...1&d=1237425974

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, looks like you must have gained a few inches from when you started.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.