Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Too poor to ever go on holiday... watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't let it get you down, you'll get used to it. My last holiday was in 2006 and we don't have the money to go on holidays either. Before that holiday I hadn't been abroad for 8 years. I think hopping on a bus or a train is a great idea because you get to go somewhere new.

ReputationRep:
    Holidays really are over rated...
    The only thing that's decent about them is that you get to spend time with friends or whatever, you don't really need a new environment to so though. Just go over to a mates for gaming sessions, hold a 24 hour party or something like that.

(Original post by la fille danse)
    Why does your mother refuse to work? Just out of curiosity.
    She's too stuck up to work and comes from an old-fashioned background where women stay at home and look after the kids. She seems to think being a mum of 3 is a job in itself. I've even said I'd help with house chores more but she refuses blank zero to do zilch to help

(Original post by james_dow)
    how come ?

She's too stuck up to work and comes from an old-fashioned background where women stay at home and look after the kids. She seems to think being a mum of 3 is a job in itself. I've even said I'd help with house chores more but she refuses blank zero to do zilch to help

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thats strange, im in the opposite situ in that my mum wants to go on a vacation and i keep sayin no and weve got so much money, it's unreal

ReputationRep:
    Just live with it, some people go on holiday when they're young, some don't. Thats life. Once you leave home you can make your own way in the world, but until 18 you've just gotta grin and bear it. And tbh, I doubt all your mates are on holiday, for all of the summer. If so, maybe get some new mates.

ReputationRep:
    My family live off 6000 euros a year.
    You´re lucky.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

Don't worry about it. My folks used to be on £50k pa, and I never appreciated the holidays, I just expected them. When my dad went down to £18k in 2001, the year after going to Lanzarote we went to Berwick upon Tweed. We only went to Florida in 2004 on my deceased grandmother's estate. This is the first year that there's been no family holiday, and it's gutting. My Aspergers is starting to proliferate itself (I'm getting obsessed with things) because I'm at home until mid-September until uni starts again. I just want to go somewhere, but I can't. So I totally feel you.

When you get a bit more freedom, do Camp America or something. You get paid and then get to travel around the United States for a month. You will be in awe, and for one I'd like to be there to see your face. Good luck and sit it out, you'll be okay.

(Original post by Cultivated)
    You're 15, don't you have a free bus pass?
    Travel in your own city and pretend to be a tourist or that you're in Spain instead :ninja: Use your imagination.
    how do you get a free bus pass?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been abroad in years and have never been away with friends. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    You can get pound flights with ryan air to random cities, do that and stay in a hostel

ReputationRep:
    go on www.gumtree.com to find a job; save up and go holiday with ur mates!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    I havent had a holiday for 7 years because i cant afford it, you get used to it.
    Aww :console:

Do you work/are you at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been on holiday in a few years but I did used to go abroad every year. Holidays are not everything tbf, a lot of hassle, getting up at like 4AM to go to the airport so on. If you really are desperate to go on holiday I would recommend getting a job when you turn 16 and paying for it yourself

ReputationRep:
    Your dad won't let you get a job because it will get in the way of your studies? What studies? Your 15!

ReputationRep:
    Holidays are bull ****. Seriously the only thing worse than holidays is theme parks. You can go on day trips to the seaside for cheap though if you want.

We've been on a few British holidays in my time which is fair enough but by the time you're like 13 they're just boring as all hell. I went on one foreign holiday with my sister which was pretty cool but not really my thing, I like culture and strolling around ogling architecture and stuff. :coma:

I'm gonna wait til next summer and go to Paris bro. Think of the Guinness advert. Always think of the Guinness advert. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Travel in your own city and pretend to be a tourist or that you're in Spain instead :ninja: Use your imagination.
    I think that's just for London, not 100% though. In my area under 16s pay 2/3 of the adult fare.

ReputationRep:
    ALL your friends go on holiday? ALL of the holiday?

We haven't been on holiday in years so I can sympathise with you to some extent but life is what you make it and you shouldn't just rely upon your parents. If you have a job then why not save up and go on holiday with your friends next year? Or why not go to a music festival and treat that as a mini holiday away from home :dontknow:

If you blame everyone else then you'll be sat at home doing nothing. I'm sure there must be someone who isn't on holiday when you are so why not make the most of the time that your friends aren't on holiday so that by the time they go on holiday you'll be looking forward to a break away from them!

ReputationRep:
    That's London only. :cry:

Oh how I missed my Oyster card when my parents moved me here.. :nopity:

It costs me roughly £6-7 to get anywhere now :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    My friends and I worked through our final year of school, then the day after we finished left for Tokyo and stayed in a backpacker's for 2 weeks. It was the best experience of my life, highly reccommended. You can achieve a surprising amount with a part time job, the only down side is that you then have to go to work. Working's pretty lame.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.