Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sociology or History?

I'm not completely sure on what I want to do after Uni, jobswise. I like the type of jobs these two degrees open up because they open up a waste amount of jobs to me, the types of jobs Sociology opens up interest me and if i did graduate with a History degree i wouldn't like a job which directly related to it ( don't want to go into teaching or working in museums) but I wanted to ask which is more valuable ALSO which would a Sociology degree be more valuable or a Sociology with joint honours Criminology degree be more valuable in GENERAL?

I probably haven't phrased it in the best way but I've got a banging headache so forgive theeeeeeeee

Thanks In advance (Also anyone doing any of these degrees please PM me your email address, i would like to ask you a few more things about the course VIAMSN)

ReputationRep:
    Well History is more respectable, and hence more valuable in my opinion. Depends on what you want to do though. But generally in business/law/finance a history degree would be your best option.

ReputationRep:
    Very few jobs will require either of those (unlike sciences, engineering, medicine etc.).

Better to go with history as it's not seen as a 'dosser's degree' like sociology, but frankly you'll be looking at careers where 'any 2:1' or 'any 2:2' rules apply, so go with whichever you'll be happiest doing.

ReputationRep:
    History I would say
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    imo history

ReputationRep:
    History is probably more respected. Sociology is probably more useful.

ReputationRep:
    History would probably be viewed as more academic, less of a 'soft' subject but if you enjoy sociology more, do that because there's no use having a 'harder' subject but at a low degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    history....sociology isn't really as respected..

ReputationRep:
    Think more about you. Which would you enjoy doing more?

History is more valuable but if you think you'd enjoy sociology more, do sociology.

There are jobs out there for both degrees- otherwise the degrees wouldn't be so popular.

If you still can't decide put them both down as firm/insurance [choose one for firm, one for insurance] so if over the next year you realise that actually you hate sociology or whatever then it's fine. You can change to history

ReputationRep:
    I would probably enjoy doing History more but jobswise Sociology type of jobs i prefer more. (not the caring bit but the other public-related jobs)

ReputationRep:
    history

ReputationRep:
    It's funny. When I did sociology at uni everyone told me it was a mickey mouse degree and that it would be of no use in the "real world". Told I would be flippin' burgers once I left.

5 years after graduating I now work in a public policy field earning quite good money. Whilst the work I do tends to me more focussed than the topics I studied at uni, the fundamental concepts are the same.

Most people say sociology is a soft option because they simply don't really have a clue about what it entails. They hear "social" and assume it must be all about drinking beer.

I strongly believe that the skills you gain studying sociology far outweigh the skills you develop studying history. People also forget that most good sociology courses teach students advanced statistics which is always good to have a grasp of.

If I was you, I'd study what I wanted to study... not what I thought would be most "respected".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socmyoligy)
    It's funny. When I did sociology at uni everyone told me it was a mickey mouse degree and that it would be of no use in the "real world". Told I would be flippin' burgers once I left.

5 years after graduating I now work in a public policy field earning quite good money. Whilst the work I do tends to me more focussed than the topics I studied at uni, the fundamental concepts are the same.

Most people say sociology is a soft option because they simply don't really have a clue about what it entails. They hear "social" and assume it must be all about drinking beer.

I strongly believe that the skills you gain studying sociology far outweigh the skills you develop studying history. People also forget that most good sociology courses teach students advanced statistics which is always good to have a grasp of.

If I was you, I'd study what I wanted to study... not what I thought would be most "respected".
    That's what I used to think until I started applying for jobs. Nobody gives a crap which subject you did, or at which university. (Unless you want to do something directly subject related obv.) All they care about is min. 2:1/min. 2:2.

For the majority of any-subject graduate jobs, a 2:1 masters degree in chemistry from University of Sheffield (my degree) is worth less than a 1st in sociology from the Central University of Ex-poly Douchebaggery. Fact. Regardless of what you think about either of those two subjects.

In short. Do what you'll enjoy and what you think you'll get a 1st or 2:1 in (depending on your academic aptitude).

Good luck anyway.

EDIT: There is much more to a degree than the piece of paper. On a personal, not-stuff-you-can-put-on-a-cv, level I think my degree was infinitely more valuable than the aforementioned alternative.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.