Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are black people and East Asians more accepted than South Asians in the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is certainly the impression that I get.

Do you agree or disagree?

Serious discussion, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    This is certainly the impression that I get.

Do you agree or disagree? Is it because black/East Asian people are generally more westernised?

Serious discussion, please.
    where is south asia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    where is south asia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    where is south asia
    I think he's refering to countries like Pakistan,India and Bangladesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    I think he's refering to countries like Pakistan,India and Bangladesh.
    Well done, you can read a map

ReputationRep:
    I've never felt like that - might have a biased view because there's loads of South Asians in West London. But then again, it says you're from Birmingham so hmm, I don't know. Is there something specific that makes you say this?

ReputationRep:
    what about west asians?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's to do with culture and religion, however british born south asians are starting to conform more to westernised culture imo.

ReputationRep:
    They are? I didn't realise that was the case... if anything, it's probably the other way round, primarily because there are more south asians.

at the same time though, some do tend to prefer to stick to their own family communities etc. instead of integrating more, but the same is true of any ethnic minority really. I think the problem is more when people feel marginalised due to things such as religion and culture, which isn't as much of a problem amongst black people and east asians. either way though, I have plenty of friends of south asian origin, and all of them seem pretty integrated and western to me.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the location. In east London, for instance, South Asians are readily accepted. Culture also has a part to play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    what about west asians?
    Title wouldn't fit anything else.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that South Asians are persecuted or anything, just that I get the impression that they tend to be less accepted than black people and East Asians, on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    They both integrate socially to a much greater degree. I would also argue there is a much smaller disparity of values in the instances where little cultural integration takes place.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah disgraceful really. East Asians deserve a lot more acceptance for the eatgasmic food that they have brought to this country. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this trend too. In the region I live in (West London), it's mostly populated with asians and black people but there's this unspoken hierarchy system. East Asians i.e. japanese, chinese etc. are generally speaking percieved to be the wealthy ones and hence more accepted as they 'contribute to society'. Plus I think it's because they're usually quite civilised and peace loving and don't really impose their culture/religion. Put it this way, I've never seen a huge gang of oriental youths.

It's tricky with the south asians, usually if it's not a war between Pakistan vs India, it's an Islam vs Hinduism vs Sikhism war. In fact, there are gangs that are either named after nationalities or religion. Examples include, 'Soldiers of Allah', 'Soldiers of Khalsa', 'Paki Pimps' etc. The majority of the families are from a poor background (as most of south asia is generally quite poor) and have migrated here to escape harsh financial circumstances. So I think that's why they're not as accepted, also they account for a lot of crime in the area and so locals are getting annoyed.

As for the blacks, well there's two 'types' of blacks which people in the area are really picky about. There are african-american blacks (more accepted), those that come from west-indies/the carribean, and there's the somalis, nigerians, kenyans (mainly those directly from Africa) who are blatently less accepted.

It's unfortunate that such a hierarchy system exists, but such is the harsh reality. This is just West London region though, which from what I know has a much greater asian population in comparison to the rest of the UK. I'm presuming it's different in other parts?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is mainly due to the nations love of American Movies, TV shows and its media.

The United States blacks have fought very hard for their civil rights and an end to racism, which they have kind of succeeded in, and the states also has a high east Asian population. To show that there is racial equality blacks and East Asians are represented a lot in Hollywood Films, TV shows, adverts etc. (Which a large portion of the UK audience watch) To increase integrity and equality in the country and it has worked.

The UK has follow suited, and so there are more blacks and East Asians on TV shows, adverts and posters. This makes the nation familiarise with these people and so become more respectful towards them.

Their is a lack of South Asians in these general media fields and so people in the UK who live in areas with little/no South Asians, will accept them less and seem them as alien.

That is what I think but I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkglory)
    The UK has follow suited, and so there are more blacks and East Asians on TV shows, adverts and posters. This makes the nation familiarise with these people and so become more respectful towards them.

Their is a lack of South Asians in these general media fields and so people in the UK who live in areas with little/no South Asians, will accept them less and seem them as alien.

That is what I think but I might be wrong.
    Rubbish.

Slumdog Millionaire? Masood Family? The Kumars at No. 42? And so on.

ReputationRep:
    Are they? Not by me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    I've noticed this trend too. In the region I live in (West London), it's mostly populated with asians and black people but there's this unspoken hierarchy system. East Asians i.e. japanese, chinese etc. are generally speaking percieved to be the wealthy ones and hence more accepted as they 'contribute to society'. Plus I think it's because they're usually quite civilised and peace loving and don't really impose their culture/religion. Put it this way, I've never seen a huge gang of oriental youths.

It's tricky with the south asians, usually if it's not a war between Pakistan vs India, it's an Islam vs Hinduism vs Sikhism war. In fact, there are gangs that are either named after nationalities or religion. Examples include, 'Soldiers of Allah', 'Soldiers of Khalsa', 'Paki Pimps' etc. The majority of the families are from a poor background (as most of south asia is generally quite poor) and have migrated here to escape harsh financial circumstances. So I think that's why they're not as accepted, also they account for a lot of crime in the area and so locals are getting annoyed.

As for the blacks, well there's two 'types' of blacks which people in the area are really picky about. There are african-american blacks (more accepted), those that come from west-indies/the carribean, and there's the somalis, nigerians, kenyans (mainly those directly from Africa) who are blatently less accepted.

It's unfortunate that such a hierarchy system exists, but such is the harsh reality. This is just West London region though, which from what I know has a much greater asian population in comparison to the rest of the UK. I'm presuming it's different in other parts?
    this exactly. i live in london too.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.