Turn on thread page Beta

Why are black people and East Asians more accepted than South Asians in the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    Black people and East Asians are generally seen as "cool"... Think karate flicks and hip-hop... Whereas South Asians just aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I think "south asians" and peeps from the carribbean are more accepted than africans or east asians. I don't think there's any concrete evidence either way, so why don't we all stfu about it? =)

Indians have had a greater impact on British culture than any of the other minorities you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    What about us Arabs? We're rejected by everyone :sad:

ReputationRep:
    wot's really annoy me is dat a lot of blacks like to dress/act/speak ghetto/gangsta, u know wot i mean blad?

ReputationRep:
    maybe because they 'stick to their own'???

ReputationRep:
    I think Chinese suffer quite a lot of racism aswell. The reality is that south Asians are dislike because there was a large wave of immigration from that area and they retained a lot more cultural influence from their original culture than adopting British culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    I've noticed this trend too. In the region I live in (West London), it's mostly populated with asians and black people but there's this unspoken hierarchy system. East Asians i.e. japanese, chinese etc. are generally speaking percieved to be the wealthy ones and hence more accepted as they 'contribute to society'. Plus I think it's because they're usually quite civilised and peace loving and don't really impose their culture/religion. Put it this way, I've never seen a huge gang of oriental youths.

It's tricky with the south asians, usually if it's not a war between Pakistan vs India, it's an Islam vs Hinduism vs Sikhism war. In fact, there are gangs that are either named after nationalities or religion. Examples include, 'Soldiers of Allah', 'Soldiers of Khalsa', 'Paki Pimps' etc. The majority of the families are from a poor background (as most of south asia is generally quite poor) and have migrated here to escape harsh financial circumstances. So I think that's why they're not as accepted, also they account for a lot of crime in the area and so locals are getting annoyed.

As for the blacks, well there's two 'types' of blacks which people in the area are really picky about. There are african-american blacks (more accepted), those that come from west-indies/the carribean, and there's the somalis, nigerians, kenyans (mainly those directly from Africa) who are blatently less accepted.

It's unfortunate that such a hierarchy system exists, but such is the harsh reality. This is just West London region though, which from what I know has a much greater asian population in comparison to the rest of the UK. I'm presuming it's different in other parts?
    That's clearly a lie, people from those parts of Africa are accepted the most in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Well done, you can read a map
    I didn't need to read a map to answer his question :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    That's clearly a lie, people from those parts of Africa are accepted the most in the uk.
    I'm not talking about the UK. I'm talking about one small region, West London. That's the only region I know about with regards to this particular topic. Also, I wasn't implying that they aren't accepted, just that they are less accepted than African-Americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    I didn't need to read a map to answer his question :curious:
    No I meant the map above your post...
    I was joking btw...thought the smily kinda made it obvious

ReputationRep:
    No I meant the map above your post...
    I was joking btw...thought the smily kinda made it obvious
    Lol i was writing up the post during the time, so i didn't see the map above. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davy-Jones)
    I've noticed this trend too. In the region I live in (West London), it's mostly populated with asians and black people but there's this unspoken hierarchy system. East Asians i.e. japanese, chinese etc. are generally speaking percieved to be the wealthy ones and hence more accepted as they 'contribute to society'. Plus I think it's because they're usually quite civilised and peace loving and don't really impose their culture/religion. Put it this way, I've never seen a huge gang of oriental youths.

It's tricky with the south asians, usually if it's not a war between Pakistan vs India, it's an Islam vs Hinduism vs Sikhism war. In fact, there are gangs that are either named after nationalities or religion. Examples include, 'Soldiers of Allah', 'Soldiers of Khalsa', 'Paki Pimps' etc. The majority of the families are from a poor background (as most of south asia is generally quite poor) and have migrated here to escape harsh financial circumstances. So I think that's why they're not as accepted, also they account for a lot of crime in the area and so locals are getting annoyed.

As for the blacks, well there's two 'types' of blacks which people in the area are really picky about. There are african-american blacks (more accepted), those that come from west-indies/the carribean, and there's the somalis, nigerians, kenyans (mainly those directly from Africa) who are blatently less accepted.

It's unfortunate that such a hierarchy system exists, but such is the harsh reality. This is just West London region though, which from what I know has a much greater asian population in comparison to the rest of the UK. I'm presuming it's different in other parts?
    First two paragraphs were perfect; spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i was writing up the post during the time, so i didn't see the map above. :p:
    Yeah I guessed that...you both posted pretty much at the same time...was just taking the piss

ReputationRep:
    Why are you constantly making threads about racial prejudices and divides between communities, on TSR?

These are all questions we want answers to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guessed that...you both posted pretty much at the same time...was just taking the piss
    Ohhh Lol , I thought you were trying to be mean :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh Lol , I thought you were trying to be mean :mad:
    That's what the smily is there for, to let you know I'm not trying to be mean

(Original post by adilmorrison)
    Black people and East Asians are generally seen as "cool"... Think karate flicks and hip-hop... Whereas South Asians just aren't.
    Awesome sig :toofunny:

+rep

ReputationRep:
    That's what the smily is there for, to let you know I'm not trying to be mean
    I didn't see the smiley the first time :ninja:....Just rushed to reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Why are you constantly making threads about racial prejudices and divides between communities, on TSR?

These are all questions we want answers to.
    Oh yes, clearly a thread on Harry Potter or dual degrees is discussing 'racial prejudices'.

Drop your race card elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    This is certainly the impression that I get.

Do you agree or disagree?

Serious discussion, please.

I agree i think it is because black people and oriental people intregrate into the british culture better i dont know whether it is a religious thing or a culture thing.

Il give you an example where i live the south east asian community live on their side of town and interact between themselves.

Where as the white british community, chinese and caribeans live together on the other side of town.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.