Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    whats their policy on returning items? i bought a top there the other day unfortunatley i took the tag off before trying it on! (dumb i know), and on the inside of the shirt there's a nasty foundation stain on it (i didnt do it because its a button shirt so i didnt pull it over my head and accidently got my foundation on it) ive got the reciept and i'd really like a refund because it was like £30! its also too short for me

any advice would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    It's faulty goods, and if you have the receipt they should give you your money back or swap it - just explain what happened.

ReputationRep:
    and dont wear foundation when you do, so you can be like "yeah i dont even wear foundation!"

ReputationRep:
    i dont wear foundation anyway lol! so it's just as well

ReputationRep:
    do you need the tag attached to the item? ive got the tag, but its just not on the label, ive read the back of the receipt and it doesnt say anything about tags just about it being 'in a saleable condition' well mine isnt saleable because of the stain anyway

ReputationRep:
    bring the tag anyways, and the receipt, and it should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discoo-x)
    do you need the tag attached to the item? ive got the tag, but its just not on the label, ive read the back of the receipt and it doesnt say anything about tags just about it being 'in a saleable condition' well mine isnt saleable because of the stain anyway
    There's really no problem, even if you didn't have the receipt they would probably refund you. When it comes to faulty goods, they've sold you something in an unfit condition so they are obligated to refund or replace.

ReputationRep:
    Id take it back with the tags or if you know someone that works in a shop maybe get them to reattach the tags

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be so certain they'd return something that had the tags off and had foundation stains on it, although I don't really know what Topshop's returns policy is like.

I know that if it was either the missing tags or the foundation that they'd refund you, but it could look to them like you'd worn it once/a few times and then decided to return it. Depends how generous the shop assistant is, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    go without foundation on and explain it? i was once almost not allowed to return a dress there because it was creased! it even had the tags on and they were umming and ahing because of a few creases from it sitting in the bag!

ReputationRep:
    LOok on their website!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    There's really no problem, even if you didn't have the receipt they would probably refund you. When it comes to faulty goods, they've sold you something in an unfit condition so they are obligated to refund or replace.

However, they did not know that it was in an unfit condition when they sold it. The OP has no proof that she did not do it. I work in a shop and if a person tried to return something that a) did not have the tags on and b) a stain from foundation I would be reluctant to let them return it as it would seem to have been worn.

I advise you try, perhaps don't mention the stain, they may not notice when you return it (even though I am trained to properly inspect the clothes when people try and return them). If they do, act innocent and cause a bit of a fuss because to be honest it is a lot easier to shut a customer up by giving them their money back than by arguing with them. Failing that, call on the mother, a bit of parental authority to back your case up never did anyone any harm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.