Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this book only enough for a grade A in AS level OCR Biology? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...ref=sib_rdr_dp

This book by itself and past papers maybe. Would that be enough to get a good grade A in both unit 1 and unit 2 of the OCR Biology AS level exam?

(If I learned everything in the book).

Please only really respond if you've used this book and gotten a grade A or people with similar experiences to do with this specific book.

Please only focus on posting about this book (not really looking for other recommendations really) - just if this book is enough for a high grade A?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    looks good. I only got a B. If you want an A start reading now:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    It's good, I got an A (77/90) in my first module and (hopefully) an A overall.

There's lot of extra stuff though, I recommend you get that as your main book and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Revise-A..._bxgy_b_text_c
    as your revision guide.

ReputationRep:
    Well I used that one and I expect I'll get an A.

The last chapter on Biodiversity sucks, but the rest is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurse207)
    looks good. I only got a B. If you want an A start reading now:eek3:
    Thanks for posting . Ohh did you only use this book or any other books/revision notes? Also do you think the reason you got a B is because the book is not so good or because you hadn't revised and learnt the book properly? ( sorry if this question sounds rude.. wasn't supposed to be x )

Thank you xxxxx

(Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    It's good, I got an A (77/90) in my first module and (hopefully) an A overall.

There's lot of extra stuff though, I recommend you get that as your main book and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Revise-A..._bxgy_b_text_c
    as your revision guide.
    Thanks for posting . Did you only use this book or any other books/revision notes? Also, do you think you could have gotten 87-90 range of marks using the book alone or do you think the questions you got incorrect did not have the answers within the book?

(Original post by Xerophelistica)
    Well I used that one and I expect I'll get an A.

The last chapter on Biodiversity sucks, but the rest is pretty good.
    Thanks for posting . Did you only use this book or any other books/revision notes? Also, what revision technique did you use to learn the book? And why do you think the biodiversity section sucks? - content missed out or badly explained or..?

Thanks sooo much guys for posting All you three are awesome!
    My main question now is whether people used any additional revision notes from the internet/home/school or something or was it literally just that book?

Cheers x x x
    Any more posts relating to this topic are very welcome
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princestia)

Thanks for posting . Did you only use this book or any other books/revision notes? Also, do you think you could have gotten 87-90 range of marks using the book alone or do you think the questions you got incorrect did not have the answers within the book?
    I didn't use revision notes (I don't find it useful, personally) and I didn't actually use the revision guide - I just got that for the second module... I might've got a bit higher if I used that, but I find Biology quite difficult, so I was happy with my mark. If you were quite good at Bio naturally, I imagine you could get the higher marks.

ReputationRep:
    It's a new course so the only grade people will have is from jan, but yeah it's a great book; cant go wrong with it if you put the effort in.
    It wont expand outside the spec though.

ReputationRep:
    That's the book that they use for A2 Biology at my old school, and I used a similar one for AS Biology. The AS one certainly does contain everything you could possibly need to know for the exam, so, assuming that the A2 one is the same, which it probably is as it's by the same people.... yes! But it's quite a big book.. umm good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    I didn't use revision notes (I don't find it useful, personally) and I didn't actually use the revision guide - I just got that for the second module... I might've got a bit higher if I used that, but I find Biology quite difficult, so I was happy with my mark. If you were quite good at Bio naturally, I imagine you could get the higher marks.
    Hey, thanks for posting again Aww sorry hun.. I didn't mean to say your mark is low or anything - it's a really good grade! I was just wondering whether the book contained all the information By no means did I mean your mark is anywhere near bad!

Thank you x x x

(Original post by LearningMath)
    It's a new course so the only grade people will have is from jan, but yeah it's a great book; cant go wrong with it if you put the effort in.
    It wont expand outside the spec though.
    Thanks for posting Yeahh true true
    heheh I don't really want it to expand outside the spec if the exam questions will only ever be based within the spec lol
    xx

(Original post by Redpanda91)
    That's the book that they use for A2 Biology at my old school, and I used a similar one for AS Biology. The AS one certainly does contain everything you could possibly need to know for the exam, so, assuming that the A2 one is the same, which it probably is as it's by the same people.... yes! But it's quite a big book.. umm good luck!
    Thanks for posting Lol how can that book be for A2 biology when it says it's AS biology? But thankss anyways as I can see your saying that book is good like everyone else said as well Thanks hun xxx

ReputationRep:

Thanks for posting Lol how can that book be for A2 biology when it says it's AS biology? But thankss anyways as I can see your saying that book is good like everyone else said as well Thanks hun xxx
    Lol sorry I wasn't looking properly, that's the book for the new specification AS Biology, I see, I did the old spec so I got confused. Ours had a big sunflower on the front :p: But yeah it was an excellent book so hopefully this'll be the same

ReputationRep:
    That is the actual workbook that you use. If you learn from that, you should have no problems.

Just don't flop like I probably did >.<

ReputationRep:
    Well usually official exam board books like that have everything you need to know in it. So in conjuction with past papers, I'm saying that it is definitely enough for an A grade, and assuming that you're relatively intelligent, for very high marks

ReputationRep:
    Biology at A level, you have to be really quite specific in your answers, so make sure you use past papers too.

ETA: Oh, and use the specification - that's all I used, it's kinda like a free revision book [although sometime you need your notes].

ReputationRep:
    Well using that book I got an A in January, so assuming I go the same in the summer exam, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for posting . Did you only use this book or any other books/revision notes? Also, what revision technique did you use to learn the book? And why do you think the biodiversity section sucks? - content missed out or badly explained or..?
    I pretty much only used that book. My revision style involves just reading and memorising the textbook and then doing a ton of past papers until I can tell what kind of questions will come up in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is, yes use this book but dont become overly dependant on it. Use it for the first 'understanding stage', like to make the things you didnt get in class more fathomable. Text books contain alot of extra stuff, which you could waste your time fretting over.
    I suggest get a book by Letts.. called Revise Biology AS (its what i used)...print out a copy of the syllabus for the subject. Then, months before the exam (not now.. its too early!) .. perhaps Oct/Nove...look thru the textbook and tick off the stuff on the syllabus that youve covered. Even just read up on the not so important stuff. Then the critical time is a month before... In Dec memorise the revision guide stuff.. and tick off the sections again on the syllabus. Towards the last 2 weeks leading up to the exam.. dedicate your time to purely past papers.. and obv if your knowledge is lacking on a particular topic, go back to the rev guide or text book to look it up.

This is just a suggestion, people learn in diff ways

ReputationRep:
    OCR Biology exams are a complete joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    OCR Biology exams are a complete joke.
    No they're not. You just need the exam technique. Write down exactly what they want.

I have this book for AS and A2 of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. With the CD - they're fantastic, i'm going to continue going through it from Tomorrow the 3rd August until exam time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    No they're not. You just need the exam technique. Write down exactly what they want.

I have this book for AS and A2 of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. With the CD - they're fantastic, i'm going to continue going through it from Tomorrow the 3rd August until exam time.
    Well to me and many other people, that June exam was ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Well to me and many other people, that June exam was ridiculous.
    A2 Legacy Exams or the New Revised ones? If it's legacy, I agree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.