Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm thinking of applying for Oriental studies at Cambridge next year, particularly for japanese studies however i'm not sure if i'm at a dissadvantage or not. The fact that the course is predominantly a language course does appeal to me however I haven't taken any languages at A-level which may have been a mistake.

I've studied Japanese up to begginers level (a one year course) and I'm currently taking another course in chinese. I've also nearly completed a similar course in Egyptian Heiroglyphs and I think these may prove an advantage for my application, however I'm still concerned about the lack of a higher level language.

This is why i'm also considering english lit as i guess it is my forte but I'm not sure if I have a better chance of getting in with Oriental studies as it's a much smaller departement. Any comments/feedback would be great, thanx.

ReputationRep:
    The Cambridge prospectus says no language is essential but one is highly desirable. As far as the admissions procedure is concerned you're not disadvantaged, and those extra courses will work in your favour. Doing the degree is of course another matter, others who have the relevant languages at A-Level or equivalent might be better off, but you've proved the ability to help yourself independently with the extra courses so you should be alright if and when you get in. So it seems you have no worries... best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Aww thankyou! your too kind! ^__^

If there is such a thing as being too kind hehe

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into their Hebrew Studies course, and the Jewish Studies course at Oxford. I can read Hebrew already and I'm currently learning more at my synagogue.
    I do, however, have a language A Level (French).

Do you really think it'd be easier to get in because it's a smaller department? I was thinking along those lines, and was told as much by a careers adviser.

Are you doing AS Levels at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'm doing my AS levels at the moment. I've taken classics archaeology and english which I think should be quite useful on a course such as this however my fourth choice is drama/thatre studies which I don't really see as being particularly applicable other than the fact that it maybe useful for the study of Kabuki theatre and possibly some aspects of art within the course. (Although I MUST take this oportunity to declare to the world that theatre studies is really really very interesting, not particularly academic some may say, BUT it is still excrutiatingly difficult seeing as a lot of your marks depend on the people you work with and how you co-operate. It's not necessarily harder than other subjects, just IMHO it contains a larger more complex variety of skills.Trust me, if you think you know anything about teamwork you seriously don't untill you do this! it's evil! lol)

But anyway....
    ^___^

I was also considering Hebrew studies at Cambridge but my knowledge of Japanese culture and language is far more extensive than that of my Jewish/ Hebrew knowledge although i am strongly interested in both courses.

I guess in a way it should be easier BUT, it's still only around 1 3rd of applicants who get in which is the same as many of the more popular courses, however I thought it should be easier as there are fewer people to compete with and background knowledge of oriental studies is often scarce and may be difficult to test at interview as few people have studied the subject before.

But I do feel that regardless of what you apply for, Oxbridge is still very difficult to get into, and to be honest, I'm more concerned with finding out if I this course is suitable to me and that i will enjoy and succeed at it, rather than if it's going to be easier to get into the college than my other possible choice-english.

I do, however have an advantage that my sister has studyed at cambridge and is currently doing her masters and has contact with someone on the Oriental studies course (for egyptology). I'm yet to contact her to find out about interview technique and background reading for the subject but from what i gather, "getting in" is predominantly on the interview and your enthusiasm for the subject and the ability to do well in it as a result of this, not so much academics (although of course this is important)

Well...woah i rattled on for a bit there 0___o hehe

ReputationRep:
    Im not trying to be rude or funny, i was just wondering what career oriental studies leads to?

And it does sound like you just applying for it cos u think u have more chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    Im not trying to be rude or funny, i was just wondering what career oriental studies leads to?

And it does sound like you just applying for it cos u think u have more chance of getting in.
    The carreer options for oriental studies are suprisingly broad from what I've heard-like most things you can go into management or abnking but many people keep in contact with the area they studied and go on to further employment there. Many go into research or journalism (something i'm interested in).

Don't worry I don't take offence easily heh, and I know your not being rude-just pointing out something-thanks actually your somments helped me consider my motives more. I guess i do believe that i should do the course i want to-not which will be easier for me to get into cambridge but maybe im getting my preferences confused cos i'm not sure which i'd rather study. hmm, choices choices. I've still got a long time to think before applying but it allways helps to start out early hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalandraka)
    The carreer options for oriental studies are suprisingly broad from what I've heard-like most things you can go into management or abnking but many people keep in contact with the area they studied and go on to further employment there. Many go into research or journalism (something i'm interested in).

Don't worry I don't take offence easily heh, and I know your not being rude-just pointing out something-thanks actually your somments helped me consider my motives more. I guess i do believe that i should do the course i want to-not which will be easier for me to get into cambridge but maybe im getting my preferences confused cos i'm not sure which i'd rather study. hmm, choices choices. I've still got a long time to think before applying but it allways helps to start out early hehe.
    Oh my, my spelling really was rather atrocious there. uh-oh! lol
    (It's just me typing to fast-not that i'm actually bad at spelling...honest! no really!)

ReputationRep:
    What career options after a degree in oriental studies??

Well, maybe one related to the most spoken languages in the world, not just linked to language, but cultural understanding too?

Or maybe one in which you need to demonstrate the ability to stick at something really really hard and often quite dull, like learning thousands of characters?

Or one in which you show you're a student able to achieve well in all areas - memorising things, writing essays, reading completely random articles about Confucian theories....?

Or, alternatively, something completely unrelated, like many of the modern language students who go on to do law - is the only career option for a history student to become a historian?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.