Turn on thread page Beta

POLL: should cross country be made compulsory in schools? watch

• View Poll Results: Should cross country be made compulsory in schools?
    Yes
    35.82%
    No
    64.18%

ReputationRep:
    meaning, EVERY pupil who attends the school has to do at least 2 cross countries in the year!

ReputationRep:
    we had to endure it...so should theyyy !

ReputationRep:
    Why should it?

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No but weight and high intensity interval training should be.

ReputationRep:
    No, why? Never did it at my school, don't know anyone who did have to either.

ReputationRep:
    It was at my school (state school with countryside nearby). I didn't mind it cuz I was good at it lol. (Was **** at sprinting though). Might as well be compulsory, if you're crap at running/can't be assed you can just walk it.

ReputationRep:
    No. I hated it. They made us do it in the snow in shorts!

ReputationRep:
    And this will work for schools in the centre of Birmingham and London with no access to the countryside how exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Err why??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    And this will work for schools in the centre of Birmingham and London with no access to the countryside how exactly?
    Where there's a will there's a way!:ninja2:

There is parks EVERYWHERE.
    and most schools have access to some sort of countryside.
    If all else fails, they probably have a school field

Oh my god, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Cross-country was the most degrading, humiliating, dehumanising, horrid experience of my life. We had to do 4 2 mile 'runs' every year. By Year 10 me and my fellow fat friends would just cut back through the streets to get to school and deal with the detention.

Now I realise this is because I'm fat and I know kids shouldn't be fat but some of us are and well .. I'm being honest.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone should be forced to do anything they don't want to. I didn't mind cross country but I hated PE with my class in general.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's a right of passage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperAllano)
    Where there's a will there's a way!:ninja2:

There is parks EVERYWHERE.
    and most schools have access to some sort of countryside.
    If all else fails, they probably have a school field
    It's difficult enough organising off site events when they're just school trips and everyone is walking round a place at the same pace. I imagine the teachers probably wouldn't fancy filling in a million and one forms just so they can run around a field/park for an hour either.

If they're running around a school field it's not really cross country, it's just running around the school field/grass track :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    It's difficult enough organising off site events when they're just school trips and everyone is walking round a place at the same pace. I imagine the teachers probably wouldn't fancy filling in a million and one forms just so they can run around a field/park for an hour either.

If they're running around a school field it's not really cross country, it's just running around the school field/grass track :p:
    "Cross country running is a sport in which runners compete to complete a course over open or rough terrain. ..."

If it's a race, in winter and everyone participates... it's good enough!
    If they don't have countryside nearby they have to settle with what they do have!

we had to do it. our PE made everyone do it and the people who 'forgot their kit' or 'had a sore leg' had do it or they would get detention and lines :rofl: although most people didnt take it seriously and would usually walk it or take short cuts. good times

ReputationRep:
    Heaven forbid someone might break a sweat for once in their life.

ReputationRep:
    In my first year of high school, everyone was entered for a 'cross-country' run in the first term, and then in the second term there was a charity one for which you had to pay to enter. By the second year, a new head teacher had abolished the first 'cross country' which really annoyed me, as there's no incentive to try in the charity one. I think it's good for schools to encourage healthy competition in sports as well as academic activities. The 'everyone's a winner' attitude many (state) schools have these days isn't encouraging kids to strive for their best or to beat their peers, and this could have consequences on people's attitudes later on in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Oh my god, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Cross-country was the most degrading, humiliating, dehumanising, horrid experience of my life. We had to do 4 2 mile 'runs' every year. By Year 10 me and my fellow fat friends would just cut back through the streets to get to school and deal with the detention.

Now I realise this is because I'm fat and I know kids shouldn't be fat but some of us are and well .. I'm being honest.
    Dude, someone who isn't disabled can walk 2 miles in half an hour. Don't get me wrong, I think cross country is **** and gay, but you can't really ***** about going on a half hour stroll once every three months and call it humiliating.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.