Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

POLL: should cross country be made compulsory in schools? watch

• View Poll Results: Should cross country be made compulsory in schools?
    Yes
    35.82%
    No
    64.18%

(Original post by burningnun)
    Dude, someone who isn't disabled can walk 2 miles in half an hour. Don't get me wrong, I think cross country is **** and gay, but you can't really ***** about going on a half hour stroll once every three months and call it humiliating.
    Oh I know you can walk it in half an hour, I enjoy walking I would have loved to walk it but the PE teacher at my school would stay at the back of the group to make sure we were running.

Yeah I know I sound like a winger but it really was awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Oh I know you can walk it in half an hour, I enjoy walking I would have loved to walk it but the PE teacher at my school would stay at the back of the group to make sure we were running.

Yeah I know I sound like a winger but it really was awful.
    Oh, OK. He sounds like a gimp then. If you didn't mind getting detention you should have played funny tricks on him.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tea_cakes)
    No, why? Never did it at my school, don't know anyone who did have to either.
    Lucky you!

We had to do it, running around a few fields and down the pavement next to a busy road (****** embarrassing, especially when drivers decided it would be hilarious to beep their horn at you) while the teachers just stood and shouted abuse.

Unless there is a really good trail to follow that isn't just a field, I think you may as well just run around the track.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was compulsory, was definately at my private school, maybe it is still O_o .. but urm No, just because it was hell, especially going around my school, which was just torture .. HATE HATE HATE crosscountry! We had to go around entire school grounds, pathways on the school, and go through two fields, one made for hockey (x2) and one for i think football (x3), and then running up a field to finish. Just evil

ReputationRep:
    Nooo its unimaginably dull those who do like it let them but don't force everyone to do it although 2 hours of excercise should be comulsory for every child in or out of school

ReputationRep:
    No. It is the most pointless piece of "exercise" you can do. It would be much more beneficial having a cross country walk in my opinion. Take them on compulsory hikes, or country walks, through some fields and hills, or at least a walk with their friends around the school field a few times; make it sociable and provide them with exercise at the same time.
    Other forms of exercise, sure why not. But I see no real benefit to cross country unless someone wishes to be a marathon runner.

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha, if you think 4 times a year is bad, we had to to it as part of P.E. once a week for 3 months... after Christmas; so not only are you unfit because you ate like a pig during your holidays, it's bloody freezing.

ReputationRep:
    It was compulsory at my school and it was absolute hell. The actual countryside was too far away from my school to reach in an hour, so our cross country runs were basically running around the town and through one field. And of course, a bunch of teenage girls in shorts running down a main road isn't going to go unnoticed by old perves who love to shout "WAHEY! alright there darling? running are you? you can come in my car any day" etc.
    And then the P.E. teachers would follow us round in their cars shouting "RUN! RUN! RUN!" at us as we were dying in the wind and the rain.
    If I saw my old P.E. teacher again I would find it hard not to smash her head in with a shot put.

ReputationRep:
    The only cross country running I did was laps round the play ground, not much country though.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's *****. If this is an idea to make people active, then doing it through sports people enjoy is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Loved it. Especially when there were puddles of mud to jump in. Theres nothing quite like legging it through the countryside in the pouring rain and not giving a damn about anything except trying to win the race.

ReputationRep:
    Our "cross country" was great! It was only around the field like, but the principles the same

You have a quick little jog to freshen you up, and then when you are out of eyesight you get a leisurely stroll in the morning, talking to your mates. It's as close to a free hour as we ever got!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    It was compulsory at my school and it was absolute hell. The actual countryside was too far away from my school to reach in an hour, so our cross country runs were basically running around the town and through one field. And of course, a bunch of teenage girls in shorts running down a main road isn't going to go unnoticed by old perves who love to shout "WAHEY! alright there darling? running are you? you can come in my car any day" etc.
    And then the P.E. teachers would follow us round in their cars shouting "RUN! RUN! RUN!" at us as we were dying in the wind and the rain.
    If I saw my old P.E. teacher again I would find it hard not to smash her head in with a shot put.
    I have two questions from this post!

First of all, is there any possibility the the PE Teachers in the cars were the same ones shouting "WAHEY"? That image is a very amusing one for me

And do you carry a shot putt round permanently in case the chance arises :p: At least the teachers have encouraged you to do sport!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think I'm in a position to comment. Cross country is probably one of my favourite sports - I was ranked 44th in the UK last year. So yeah, I love it, and it's an awesome way to exercise, if kept up. I wish others did as well, but I don't think people who feel that they are going to be ashamed or embarrassed by their peers watching them do it should be made. Just like I wouldn't want anyone to watch me play golf or cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, no. Logistically, it could be hard for some schools to arrange a safe course, and there's no particular physical benefit unique to cross-country. I quite enjoyed it, but I don't think it should be compulsory in all schools.

ReputationRep:
    i think PE / exercise should be but not neccesarily cross country running. id hate that, tho i like danc / aerobics and i swim alot x

ReputationRep:
    We did it, except round the field! lol. If you walked you had to redo it at lunchtime.

ReputationRep:
    i think it should be made substantially optional

as i used to say whilst walking round the school field, "this isn't going to get me a job"

plus its potentially humiliating if a) the compulsary PE kit isn't flattering and b) you're unable to run without collapsing

i'm all for exercise but if you're one of the "slow runners" there really is no point

what i AM in favour of, is exercise where pupils get a choice based on what they enjoy and what they feel confident in doing (dance/swim/gym etc)

interesting poll question

ReputationRep:
    It teaches ingenuity and orienteering.

Unlike team sports where you simply stay away from the ball to avoid sweating, in cross country you have to come up with clever ways to cheat (Wait around the corner until the last lap :confused:) or plot a route which will get you round with the least excursion possible.

But no, not really.

ReputationRep:
    just wanted to add: cross country isn't that productive because in my experience the course or speed at which you're asked to run doesn't reflect the ability and/or fitness level of an entire PE group

so for e.g. if you get in trouble for not being able to run the entire course, that's drastically unfair because some people just can't do that without working up to it

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.