The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's character building. :biggrin:
Cross country by its very nature is character building. It is a traditional part of British life. The fact that as young people we have to endure the pain of cross-country prepares us Brits for later in life. It would be a travesty if cross-country was fazed out of schools, and mark the slow delcine of the already faltering British spirit.
Ok, bit exaggerated but you get the point.
Its also hilarious seeing the fat kids at the back lol!
It's character building. :biggrin:

Just nipped in ahead of me there lol. Totally agree!
Reply 43
From a smart, we-need-to-get-fit point of view, yes. From a being **** at running point of view, God, no!!!
Reply 44
laurakate1988

interesting poll question

and
tea_cakes
No, why? Never did it at my school, don't know anyone who did have to either.

You don't know anyone who had to do cross country?

I thought it was fairly standard in schools, obviously I'm just lucky there is countryside nearby, maybe I'm overlooking the fact many schools don't actually do it...?! I wonder what % of schools do it... now that would be a good poll!:thumbsup:
SuperAllano

You don't know anyone who had to do cross country?

I thought it was fairly standard in schools, obviously I'm just lucky there is countryside nearby, maybe I'm overlooking the fact many schools don't actually do it...?! I wonder what % of schools do it... now that would be a good poll!:thumbsup:

Nope, don't know anyone that had to do it. Furthest I ever remember having to run was 800m. I don't know why we never did, we had a huge school field and there were other places we could have run to. Maybe I had a lucky escape there. :biggrin:
I loved cross country, so yes.
We didn't have any "country" to run across so we just ran through the streets but I didn't mind it. I only remember doing it 2 or 3 times but I would have liked to have done it more, our PE lessons just went downhill after year 9 - so many girls in my year just started whining that they couldn't do PE and I was just like FFS!! I'm am so crap at sport but I would always give it a go.
We did cross country across the moor. I'm not bad even at it and am never near the back, but that didn't stop me from hating every second of it. So no. Its almost as bad as the bleep test.
Reply 49
No.
Cross country nearly killed me at school, I'm not the kind to force it on other people :p:
Reply 50
StandardStudent

Its also hilarious seeing the fat kids at the back lol!

:mad:
We had to do it...and I wouldn't wish that on anyone :o:
Norfolkadam
Oh my god, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Cross-country was the most degrading, humiliating, dehumanising, horrid experience of my life. We had to do 4 2 mile 'runs' every year. By Year 10 me and my fellow fat friends would just cut back through the streets to get to school and deal with the detention.

Now I realise this is because I'm fat and I know kids shouldn't be fat but some of us are and well .. I'm being honest.

i ******* love you
HighSkies
We did cross country across the moor. I'm not bad even at it and am never near the back, but that didn't stop me from hating every second of it. So no. Its almost as bad as the bleep test.

I still have nightmares.
I reckon cross country has to be worse though. We did it in shorts and polo shirts (compulsory:mad: ) in the middle of winter.
Funnily enough our PE teachers all got to be wrapped up in coats and the like, standing smack bang in the middle of the fields so you couldn't cheat.
sidewalkwhenshewalks
i ******* love you

Aw. You're cool too. :awesome:
Reply 55
I absolutely hated it, it took me ages, hurt so much and was so tiring I couldn't move for the next few days... but yes, it should be compulsory!

As previous posters said, it's a right of passage and the pain builds great character and strength of mind even if it doesn't help physically.

If it wasn't for my failings in cross-country, I wouldn't have been inspired to exercise and I may well have become a fat tub of lard but I'm not thanks to cross country and good old Mr. Gregg (our mental PE teacher). :top:
hannah_makeawish
I still have nightmares.
I reckon cross country has to be worse though. We did it in shorts and polo shirts (compulsory:mad: ) in the middle of winter.
Funnily enough our PE teachers all got to be wrapped up in coats and the like, standing smack bang in the middle of the fields so you couldn't cheat.

That reminds me- our teachers were on bikes. Whilst we slowly died they rode their way around the moor. I can't tell you how many times we planned to hijack them.
Reply 57
We used to do loads, damn our massiveeee school fields at my middle and secondary school. It was quite fun sometimes though. We had to do it in thick snow one year, couldn't see our feet, that was hilarious, but pathetic, why make us do it? Can't say our times were good ...
Reply 58
that would increase the amount of kids taking up music - so id say yes
that was the excuse to get out of cross country -
got to pop off for my violin lesson :wink:
Reply 59
Yes, there are enough obese people as it is

Latest

Trending

Trending