Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is better, MAC paint pots or pigment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as the title suggests! Have no idea which one has more staying power, ease of application, blendability (I don't know if that's a word...) etc?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Yeah, as the title suggests! Have no idea which one has more staying power, ease of application, blendability (I don't know if that's a word...) etc?

Thanks.
    Personally, I prefer Paint Pots. They're cream eyeshadows, but once they dry they're very budgeproof. The main reasons I like them is that they can be used instead of a primer (as anything you put over the top also doesn't budge), they increase the vibrancy of your eyeshadow colours (e.g. if you use a green Paint Pot under a green eyeshadow), and you can use them alone as a very quick eye look if you're in a rush (you can even skip using brushes). My favourites are Bare Study (a champagne shimmer), Painterly (matte nude - goes under anything), and Indianwood (shimmery copper).

Pigments are loose powder shadows. I know some people really love these as they're quite versatile. Depending on the shade, you can use them as eyeshadow, blush, highlighter, mix them with lipgloss, or even use a damp brush for a foiled eyeshadow effect or to use them as eyeliner. The main things I don't like about them are that they can be messy to use (if you're not careful, you can get a lot of fallout when applying to the eye area), and also you must use them with a primer, otherwise the staying power isn't great. I love Vanilla pigment though, it makes a great eyeshadow and highlighter.

Hope that helps! You seem to have a lot of MAC questions lately (which is great, since I love MAC and I enjoy helping if I can) - you should check out Specktra (link), it's a site just for MAC chat, it's really helpful for anything MAC-related. We also have a dedicated thread for the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Personally, I prefer Paint Pots. They're cream eyeshadows, but once they dry they're very budgeproof. The main reasons I like them is that they can be used instead of a primer (as anything you put over the top also doesn't budge), they increase the vibrancy of your eyeshadow colours (e.g. if you use a green Paint Pot under a green eyeshadow), and you can use them alone as a very quick eye look if you're in a rush (you can even skip using brushes). My favourites are Bare Study (a champagne shimmer), Painterly (matte nude - goes under anything), and Indianwood (shimmery copper).

Pigments are loose powder shadows. I know some people really love these as they're quite versatile. Depending on the shade, you can use them as eyeshadow, blush, highlighter, mix them with lipgloss, or even use a damp brush for a foiled eyeshadow effect or to use them as eyeliner. The main things I don't like about them are that they can be messy to use (if you're not careful, you can get a lot of fallout when applying to the eye area), and also you must use them with a primer, otherwise the staying power isn't great. I love Vanilla pigment though, it makes a great eyeshadow and highlighter.

Hope that helps! You seem to have a lot of MAC questions lately (which is great, since I love MAC and I enjoy helping if I can) - you should check out Specktra (link), it's a site just for MAC chat, it's really helpful for anything MAC-related. We also have a dedicated thread for the UK.
    Thank you, again I do have a lot of MAC questions lately, I am trying to invest in some decent makeup before I quit my job and become a poor student in September Thought it would be better to have a few decent things rather than a million crap quality things that I never use!! I will check out that link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    Thank you, again I do have a lot of MAC questions lately, I am trying to invest in some decent makeup before I quit my job and become a poor student in September Thought it would be better to have a few decent things rather than a million crap quality things that I never use!! I will check out that link.
    Ah yes, sounds like a good plan
    In that case, you may also be interested in this site which reviews nearly all MAC's products, plus thousands of others. It's been my godsend when I can't decide what to buy!

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_violet)
    Ah yes, sounds like a good plan
    In that case, you may also be interested in this site which reviews nearly all MAC's products, plus thousands of others. It's been my godsend when I can't decide what to buy!

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/
    I have been on that site before! I remember getting quite addicted reading literally hundreds of product reviews lol! It's great isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I never got the hang of using loose powder so I'd always go for the paint pots although they're quite bold unless you get them in a subtle colour so it depends whether you want something that'll really stand out or something you can build up colour with.

If you're not superly experienced with using eye makeup then I'd say to go for the paint pots but take it easy and don't put on loads at once. If youwant to try the pigments you should use a good eye primer (I like Urban Decay's or Too Faced's (prefering this atm!)) and make sure you don't put too much pigment on your brush because it'll only end up on your cheeks!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.